• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Open Carry Day

Prometheus

imported post

National Open Carry, Independence Day and Weekend 2008

Everyday hundreds of thousands of law abiding citizens carry handguns for self defense all across America. Most of those arms are concealed. Open Carry Day and Open Carry Weekend seek to bring those people who normally carry concealed out of the shadows and into the light. As responsible firearms owners we understand that firearms do not cause crime, but rather prevent and stop crime. In that light we bring to you the National Open Carry Day© and National Open Carry Weekend©.

Sweet! :celebrate

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think its a good start. Does anyone know if the page affiliated with any forum members?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
I think its a good start. Does anyone know if the page affiliated with any forum members?
I'm wondering the same thing. What makes a "national *insert topic here* day" official? Is this one official?

Prometheus

imported post

DreQo wrote:
longwatch wrote:
I'm wondering the same thing. What makes a "national *insert topic here* day" official? Is this one official?

Got me.. what makes anything 'offical'? Like the National buy ammo day or national plant a tree day.

I just think somebody has to be the first to do it. I'd like to start 'National buy a gun day" Whose with me? :cool:

Seriously I hope this thing really takes off. It'd be nice to point to X number of people who OC'ed (or open holstered) nationwide and say see "we told you" followed by a huge letter and phone call push to get nation wide carry.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Prometheus wrote:
DreQo wrote:
longwatch wrote:

Got me.. what makes anything 'offical'? Like the National buy ammo day or national plant a tree day.

I just think somebody has to be the first to do it. I'd like to start 'National buy a gun day" Whose with me? :cool:

Seriously I hope this thing really takes off. It'd be nice to point to X number of people who OC'ed (or open holstered) nationwide and say see "we told you" followed by a huge letter and phone call push to get nation wide carry.
Instead of national buy a gun day, can we make it National Free Guns Day? :D Or maybe just National Free Ammo Day lol.

Prometheus

imported post

reQo wrote:
Instead of national buy a gun day, can we make it National Free Guns Day? :D Or maybe just National Free Ammo Day lol.

I'd be game for that ;)

On a side note I can't believe how little response this has gotten here. Frankly I'm shocked, this is the least touched thread about this I've seen anywhere. Wow.

Anyway I've been checking around and this thing seems to have taken legs, it's on everyboard I goto (and I only reposted it twice, lol). Nice to see so many OC'ers coming out of the closet!
:celebrate

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Well that's stupid. They say there's an open carry weekend but don't bother telling when?
From the linked page:
The next National Open Carry Weekend is July 4th, 5th and 6th, 2008
Soooo yeah.

Anyway, I e-mailed the guy just to say hi and ask if he was a member of OCDO, and to ask if this was an "official" day, or just an unofficial proclamation. Here's the e-mail and response that I got:

Hi. I was just pointed to your page by a thread on OCDO). I've been a member of that forum for quite some time, and I'm curious if youare a member of or affiliated with OCDO. I'm also wondering what makes a national day of any sort official, and if National Open Carry Day is indeed "official". :)

Respectfully,
(DreQo)​

Glad to see the word is getting around! I'm not sure what you mean by "official".

Greeting card companies invent holidays such as "Sweetest's Day" in order to further their agendas (making more money) and I've decided to further the message of Freedom and Liberty by having a "Open Carry Day".

I'm fairly certain the Second Amendment makes this "official".

In Liberty,
Joe

I found that a little snippy :), so I replied:

Joe-

From what I understand, cities, counties, states, etc. can declare an official holiday, so I guess I was wondering if anything to that extent had been accomplished. Here's a wiki-article on public holidays: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_holidays_of_the_United_States.

Anyway you didn't say whether or not you're active on http://www.opencarry.org. If not, you certainly should be! :) If it wasn't for OCDO, I certainly wouldn't be openly carrying right now at all. You should see about working with the owners, there, to get the most out of this!

-(DreQo)

Haven't gotten a reply yet. I would be REALLY surprised if he would be seeminglyso involved with open carry and not a member of this site lol.​

Decoligny

imported post

Prometheus wrote:

I vote for Tuesday to be the National Buy A gun Day!

A gun a week whether you need it or not!

IanB

imported post

They should rethink the "copyright" symbol they are using on that page. Mike and John own the TM to the term "open carry".

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
They should rethink the "copyright" symbol they are using on that page. Mike and John own the TM to the term "open carry".
lol Oh yeah? Can you copyright something that's been trademarked?

unreconstructed1

imported post

well, I will be taking my permit class on 4/12, and applying for my permit (hopefully) the week after that.. hopefully, my permit will get to me in time to participate.:D

Mainsail

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
Well that's stupid. They say there's an open carry weekend but don't bother telling when?
From the linked page:
That link doesn't make it through the .mil firewall. So unless the OP hoped the military wouldn't participate, it would be helpful to copy/paste the text into the post.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
well, I will be taking my permit class on 4/12, and applying for my permit (hopefully) the week after that.. hopefully, my permit will get to me in time to participate.:D
What state are you in that you need a permit to carry open?

I'm interested, but Mike and John also have asked that people show their state in their profile so they can use the numbers when they speak to the press.

unreconstructed1

imported post

Tess wrote:
unreconstructed1 wrote:
What state are you in that you need a permit to carry open?

I'm interested, but Mike and John also have asked that people show their state in their profile so they can use the numbers when they speak to the press.

I live in Tennessee.

I'll add my location to my profile here in a minute.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
DreQo wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
From the linked page:
That link doesn't make it through the .mil firewall. So unless the OP hoped the military wouldn't participate, it would be helpful to copy/paste the text into the post.

[align=center]National Open Carry Day[size=2 pt]©[/size][/align]
[align=center]and[/align]
[align=center]National Open Carry Weekend[size=2 pt]©[/size][/align]
[align=center]Because "a Right restricted is a Right denied" and "a Right not exercised is a Right lost."[/align]
[align=center][font="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"]"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed" Thomas Jefferson[/font][/align]
[align=center]The next National Open Carry Day is July 4th, 2008[/align]
[align=center]The next National Open Carry Weekend is July 4th, 5th and 6th, 2008[/align]
[align=center]Everyday hundreds of thousands of law abiding citizens carry handguns for self defense all across America. Most of those arms are concealed. "Open Carry Day and Open Carry Weekend seek to bring those people who normally carry concealed out of the shadows and into the light. As responsible firearms owners we understand that firearms do not cause crime, but rather prevent and stop crime. In that light we bring to you the National Open Carry Day[size=2 pt]©[/size] and National Open Carry Weekend[size=2 pt]©[/size].[/align]
[align=center]If you live in a state that precludes open carry consider wearing a empty holster to show solidarity[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]Thank you all for the overwhelming response thus far. A quick google search of the words "Nation Open Carry" yields dozens of hits on many different message boards and blogs, not bad for this page only having been up since 3-28-2008. Please continue to spread the word![/align]
[align=center]This idea and webpage is a work in progress. It is merely a start to inform those who fear firearms and to work towards the removal of unConstitutional legislation that infringes on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Including those laws that prohibit law abiding citizens from carrying a firearm. Please check back frequently as we get this off the ground.[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]***Please ensure that Open Carry is lawful in your state before openly carrying a firearm.***[/align]
[align=center]***We are NOT responsible for your lack of knowledge on state laws regarding open or concealed carry***[/align]
[align=center]*** Please carry responsibly and lawfully***[/align]
[align=center]If you are planning on participating please drop an E-mail with your state initials to: National Open Carry [/align]
[align=center]HOME[/align]
[align=center]Selected Quotes:[/align]
[align=center]"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," [/align]
[align=center]"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." — George Washington[/align]
[align=center][font="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"]"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed;..." Thomas Jefferson letter to Justice John Cartwright, June 5, 1824. 1824. ME 16:45.[/font][/align]
[align=center][font="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"]The people are not to be disarmed of their weapons. They are left in full possession of them." Zachariah Johnson, 3 Elliot, Debates at 646 (June 25, 1788).

George Mason: "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." (3 Elliot,
Debates at 380)
[/font][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center] [/align]
[align=center][size=2 pt]© 2007, 2008 All Rights Reserved[/size][/align]
[align=center]
fpcount.exe
[/align]
[align=center]HOME[/align]

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.patriotpages.net/nationalopencarry.htm

[align=center]National Open Carry Day[/align]

[align=center]and[/align]

[align=center]National Open Carry Weekend[/align]

[align=center]Because "a Right restricted is a Right denied" and "a Right not exercised is a Right lost."[/align]

[align=center][font="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"]"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed" Thomas Jefferson[/font][/align]

[align=center]The next National Open Carry Day is July 4th, 2008[/align]

[align=center]The next National Open Carry Weekend is July 4th, 5th and 6th, 2008[/align]

[align=center]Everyday hundreds of thousands of law abiding citizens carry handguns for self defense all across America. Most of those arms are concealed. "Open Carry Day and Open Carry Weekend seek to bring those people who normally carry concealed out of the shadows and into the light. As responsible firearms owners we understand that firearms do not cause crime, but rather prevent and stop crime. In that light we bring to you the National Open Carry Day[size=2 pt][][size=]©][/size][/size] and National Open Carry Weekend[size=2 pt][][size=]©][/size][/size].[/align]

[align=center]If you live in a state that precludes open carry consider wearing a empty holster to show solidarity[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Thank you all for the overwhelming response thus far. A quick google search of the words "Nation Open Carry" yields dozens of hits on many different message boards and blogs, not bad for this page only having been up since 3-28-2008. Please continue to spread the word![/align]

[align=center]This idea and webpage is a work in progress. It is merely a start to inform those who fear firearms and to work towards the removal of unConstitutional legislation that infringes on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Including those laws that prohibit law abiding citizens from carrying a firearm. Please check back frequently as we get this off the ground.[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]***Please ensure that Open Carry is lawful in your state before openly carrying a firearm.***[/align]

[align=center]***We are NOT responsible for your lack of knowledge on state laws regarding open or concealed carry***[/align]

[align=center]*** Please carry responsibly and lawfully***[/align]