• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clark brothers near Warrenton

livitup

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
The_Side_of_Good wrote:
Every couple weeks I try to stop in... Been eye'n a couple Kimber's and Nighthawks, waiting for Uncle "sugar" to help me fund my next fix.  I haven't struck up any friendships there, but usually just come to drool and buy something to help support and keep his shop afloat.  In fact, he's the one that gave me info on the IDPA range toward charlottesville.
Yeah, those Kimbers are nice (a little rich for my blood right now).  The owner's name is Brett.  Taller skinny guy with dark hair, mid 30's.  Real good guy.  My friend got his AR from there and he hooked him up with a real good deal.

We're building a little Culpeper sect here in the VA board...

I live just down the street from Grey Ghost. I got my shiny new Tarus 1911 from them about a month ago. (Yummy!)

Anyone wants to get together for a Clark bros. run, I'm game. I agree their rules are a bit stifling, but there's nowhere else within a decent drive, and while the ammo is more expensive, the range is free, so I figure it all comes out in the wash.

The_Side_Of_Good, do you mind saying which is "your store" in Culpeper?

nitrovic

imported post

Wow, what's the chances of this? BTW, are you guys aware of the consolidation issue? That business guy trying to get it through scammed a couple of our neighbors with signing the petition last year. I want nothing to do with it personally.

What kind of Taurus do you have? Mine is a little 5 shot. Nice little gun and is easy to conceal. Wearing the thunderwear gives me paust sometimes though. But I think it's needed walking around the wal-mart, kinda getting some slim shady individuals around there.

nitrovic

imported post

Disregard, I didn't even finish your post. How much did you pay for it?

livitup

imported post

The super-awesome PT-1911...

H_1911B.thumbnail.jpg

I'm in love, and it only cost about 1/2 of a Kimber or SA. :celebrate

I know about the consolidation issue, but I don't have enough useful information to make a decision. So far I've heard a lot of bluster and posturing, mainly from the vocal leaders of the pro-consolidation side. I'm willing to keep an open mind for now, and see what the final proposal is.

Basically, if I get to keep the same benefits I have now as a town resident (we live just inside the town border to the west), for the same or less money, then I'm fine with it. If I'm going to loose services or see an increase in total taxes then screw 'em.

I do think the town has needs and views that are unique from the county, so any combined government would need to be structured in a way that the combined government is able to respond to town specific issues.

nitrovic

imported post

livitup wrote:
The super-awesome PT-1911...

H_1911B.thumbnail.jpg

I'm in love, and it only cost about 1/2 of a Kimber or SA. :celebrate

I know about the consolidation issue, but I don't have enough useful information to make a decision. So far I've heard a lot of bluster and posturing, mainly from the vocal leaders of the pro-consolidation side. I'm willing to keep an open mind for now, and see what the final proposal is.

Basically, if I get to keep the same benefits I have now as a town resident (we live just inside the town border to the west), for the same or less money, then I'm fine with it. If I'm going to loose services or see an increase in total taxes then screw 'em.

I do think the town has needs and views that are unique from the county, so any combined government would need to be structured in a way that the combined government is able to respond to town specific issues.

nitrovic

imported post

That's a pretty good deal for the 1911. I like the Taurus, I wouldn't mind getting another. I might try for a rifle next. I haven't fired one since the military. I miss my M-60 and 203 grenade launcher...:celebrate

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

The_Side_of_Good wrote:
The folks at Clark Bros provide a nice service in an, otherwise, "shoot in the back yard" environment. It does have somedrawbacks like that you have to buy your ammo and targets there to use the range. 45 ACP, for example, runs about $18 per 50 for Wolf (voids most warrantees) and $25 per 50 for Winchester "white box" (Wal Mart sells for around $15).

Also, its just a stand and plink facility. If you're at all interested in honing skills that are useful for self defense, its limited. No draw practice, reloading drills are tough in the stalls, and if you drop a mag past the bench, you get to wait 15-30 min to retrieve it.

The moral is that its convenient if you work in town, live in the country and just need to blow off steam. I shoot every 1-2 weeks there and find it useful with these considerations.

I would love to find someplace to shoot regularly within 30 miles of 211 & 229 where I can actually shoot. If anyone knows a place let me know...!
I go to a place at the bottom of Fairfax County, just above Manassas. We have 140 acres of outdoor shooting. A 100 yard handgun/rifle range where you can also shoot shotgun with slugs or buck shot. Then there is a skeet and trap range, an archery range, and a stock fishing pond. It would be approximately 30 miles from Warrenton.. I live in western Prince William County.

There was also an unmanned range open to the public in Sumerduck, but I don't know if it is still operating.

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of taking a ride in the country to do some outdoor shooting at this establishment, but not with those restrictions(it's not worth it). I'll stay around home and indoors to do my shooting. Thanks:cool:

The_Side_of_Good

imported post

My wife and I own Stamp-N-Scrap behind Chilli's and a few doors down from Aldi's. We prefer to be prepared to protect ourselves, our customers and our investment from those unwilling to earn it the hard way. You'll usual find us CC'ing, but we get hungry and usually eat nearby which leaves me no option but to OC, so I do...

The_Side_of_Good

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
livitup wrote:
Do you care to share any more info on your place just above Manassas? :)
Certainly. It's the Izaac Walton League. I've been a member there since 1994.
I've was just recently introduced to this group (two weeks back now), but haven't pursued it. I'll search the web or contact the member that refered me... Thx!

nitrovic

imported post

The_Side_of_Good wrote:
My wife and I own Stamp-N-Scrap behind Chilli's and a few doors down from Aldi's. We prefer to be prepared to protect ourselves, our customers and our investment from those unwilling to earn it the hard way. You'll usual find us CC'ing, but we get hungry and usually eat nearby which leaves me no option but to OC, so I do...
Good to know!! I actually shop at that Aldi and go the Chiles from time to time.Your store is a good place to go for anybody who has little ones, my wife loves that stuff. That area near the Aldi has gotten kind of bad (the shopping area is nice, but those townhouses near the Arby's are a wreck). I have actually seen many gangbangers walking around openly sporting their flags!!! It's unreal. It reminds me of Prince William in the 90's.

The_Side_of_Good

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
Good to know!! I actually shop at that Aldi and go the Chiles from time to time.Your store is a good place to go for anybody who has little ones, my wife loves that stuff. That area near the Aldi has gotten kind of bad (the shopping area is nice, but those townhouses near the Arby's are a wreck). I have actually seen many gangbangers walking around openly sporting their flags!!! It's unreal. It reminds me of Prince William in the 90's.

Yea, we saw the need to have a place to let the kids play so Mom can shop otherwise its chaos...

As for the "nearby residents" we have been really disappointed with the degredation of the Culpeper Town...The townhouses on the other side of the JCPenny is "sporty" but beyond that, we're not too bad. It seems like all the the bad influences in PWC have just pushed out to us because of cost of living... Hence the comfort of OC & CC 24/7...:lol: