• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LE Encounter in the Corner District @ UVA

bayboy42

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

marine dad wrote:
I can pull up numerous stories of legal gun owners doing illegal and violent things with their firearms and that no more means that all gun owners are BG than those few stories mean that all LEOs are BGs.

TheEggman

imported post

If you're able to sleep tonight, it's in great part because of the millions of law-enforcement personnel at all levels, who are not on power trips, who are not corrupt, who really do want to help and who quietly do their jobs and hopefully, go home alive to their own families after work.

These people are, however, boring and not 'newsworthy' so we seldom see them discussed. :?

When a plumber in NY whacks his wife around nobody knows but the neighbors. If a deputy something-or-other in Podunk does the same thing it makes the news. (And boards such as this.)

bohdi

imported post

Funny you could say the same thing about citizens using their firearms to protect themselves.....or open carrying....but I agree with Citizen, this thread is going pretty good, I'd hate to see it get derailed before it's run it's course.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
LETS NOT DEGENERATE THE DISCUSSION INTO POLICE BASHING.
Unfortunately, that's already happened. Shameful.

Wellllll.....yes it has and since this centers on NitroVic, I'll throw in my 0.02 and shutup. I think he enjoyed sparring when he got here.

That set the stage. We slam dunked him though. My opinion is that we went overboard and for the part I played, I'm a little ashamed.

I think that threatening to post phone numbers or private information is extreme. I also not necessary talking about Bob. He has to decide that for himself. It's also not the first time members of this site have done it. State administrator(s) do the same thing when they have issues.

I had a few PM's with Vic and while he can be irritating when he wants to be (Gee that's unusual here), he isn't too bad a fellow. He's also pretty rattled.

Maybe we should rethink just how much gun we use on people whom we think are a horses ass. I had thought I was better than that. Apparently not!

marine dad

imported post

"If you're able to sleep tonight, it's in great part because of the millions of law-enforcement personnel at all levels, who are not on power trips, who are not corrupt, who really do want to help and who quietly do their jobs and hopefully, go home alive to their own families after work."

I don't intend to bash cops, but it sickens me to hear the police officers mantra of "just cooperate, let us prove we are the big shits, and submit properly, and you can be on your way"

i will say it once more: if you are detained by police, it isn't so he can show you what a great guy he is. it is so he can try his damndestto determine if there is SOMETHING he can charge you with, therefore generating revenue in the form of fines, court costs, etc...

i will sleep well tonight, thank you, knowing my families security is looked after, and it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with those millions of "law enforcement personnel"

nitrovic

imported post

Citizen wrote:
That should be posted as a sticky, it happens A LOT more than it should.

nitrovic

imported post

peter nap wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Unfortunately, that's already happened. Shameful.

Wellllll.....yes it has and since this centers on NitroVic, I'll throw in my 0.02 and shutup. I think he enjoyed sparring when he got here.

That set the stage. We slam dunked him though. My opinion is that we went overboard and for the part I played, I'm a little ashamed.

I think that threatening to post phone numbers or private information is extreme. I also not necessary talking about Bob. He has to decide that for himself. It's also not the first time members of this site have done it. State administrator(s) do the same thing when they have issues.

I had a few PM's with Vic and while he can be irritating when he wants to be (Gee that's unusual here), he isn't too bad a fellow. He's also pretty rattled.

Maybe we should rethink just how much gun we use on people whom we think are a horses ass. I had thought I was better than that. Apparently not!
Thanks Peter. I actually don't think I was treated that bad, I deserved it when I first got here. I just got pissed at the personal info threats were the only thing that set me off. No worries otherwise.

nitrovic

imported post

marine dad wrote:
he probably only stopped so he could flirt with her
Or he was just doing the right thing like most cops do. This was a daily thing when I was a cop, happened all the time. Shows how much you really don't know about law enforcement.

nitrovic

imported post

marine dad wrote:
Wow, three examples out of over 500,000 police officers in the US. Nice.Also, it's interesting how you throw these stories out when the people involved haven't even been found guilty. I'm sure if they were a regular gun totting anti police citizen (like you) then you would say something like "the cops set them up, they haven't gone to trial yet. Innocent until proven guilty". Interesting how your hate for the police makes your views change. That shows two things. One- how much blind hate you have for the police. Two- How ignorant you are to the facts. What did the police do to you to make you so angry? You get turned down for employment? I know that happened to some on this board and that has fueled some of the anti-police rhetoric (I heard it from their own mouths on youtube. They failed the polygraph for Fairfax and now the police suck. Go figure).

72Malibu

imported post

Inasmuch as I really HATE to insert myself into this discussion, I've talked to a LOT of police officers over the past few months. My cousin is one as well, and I recently applied to be an auxiliary officer with a nearby department.

Anti police law abiding gun toters, and anti law abiding-gun toting police seem to forget that they're supposed to be on the same side as each other.

I've done a lot of research lately into the career/lifestyle of a LEO as I've been considering becoming one myself (applying to be an auxiliary is a first step for me). I can honestly say that all the researching I've done has led to me being more sympathetic and have more admiration for law enforcement.

Granted, there are bad apples in every bunch. There are seemingly law abiding gun toters who make law abiding gun owners look bad, and police officers who make all law enforcement look bad.

Bottom line is that everybody is human. There are some police out there who are in the profession more for the authority... and then there is the majority that just want to do something to help their fellow man.

People who are so anti-police have no idea what the law enforcement career entails. It's a lifestyle change as well. You make very low pay that keeps you and your family just above the poverty line, you work rotating shifts, you can be called to duty at any time, even in the middle of spending time with family or sitting down to a meal. You say "goodbye" to your spouse and kids, not being sure whether you will be able to see them at the end of your shift either because they're asleep or you're killed in the line of duty. You see the worst in people nearly every day, you drive a target with 4 wheels and wear a target on your chest. You never know if the next person you stop will try to kill you, and you don't know if just walking into an establishment in a consipicuous uniform will have someone shooting at you. Walking into a restaurant with your family and abruptly having to leave because you recognize someone that you had to arrest before.

You have to expect the unexpected andbe constantly aware of your surroundings. They're under the microscope for everything they do and they have to make tough and potentially life changing decisions in split seconds and live with the consequences of their actions. You rarely ever want to discuss what happened at work with your family because you don't want them to have to suffer with the emotioal trauma you had to go through gathering up pieces of someone else's wife, son, daughter, husband, mother or father.There's a reason why sucide rates and divorces among LEOsare so high.

One of the questions I was asked by an officer when I mentioned I was interested in becoming a LEO was: "Are you prepared to expose yourself to what human beings are capable of doing to one another?".

I don't believe that any officer of the law has any desire to infringe upon your rights in any way unless they're one of the few bad apples on a power-trip. They're just doing their job and trying to make sure that they return home to their families and don't let someone potentially dangerous continue to lurk among society. If every criminal or felon wore a t-shirt that identified them for what they are, then officers would have an easier time determing who should get extra attention from them.

As gun-toting law abiding citizens, we don't have to worry about being a conspicuous target. OC will draw more attention than CC definitely, but not nearly as much as an officer has attention drawn to them... and it's mostly people trying to hurt them, trying to get away from them, people insulting them and people spitting on them.

The major reservations I have about becoming a LEO myself is the risk that my family could end up without a husband and father. That I would miss out on a lot of family time because of duty responsibilities. Not being able to provide my family with the standard of living they deserve on such meager pay.

Being the type of person that I am... I love to do things for others. I love to help others and request nothing in return. Appreciation and happiness I observe with something I've done for them is more than enough compensation. Though, the idea of doing so much and putting so much on the line for a populace that considers you a necessary evil, treats you with such disrespect, and has no appreciation for what a LEO and his/her family has to go through in order to be a public servant just breaks my heart.

I've never been in a LEO position of any kind. I had what I considered to be an honor and privelege of riding along with a Sheriff's Deputy and have done a lot of research and talking with officers both on and off duty to learn enough, but I still feel that I'm far from knowing the full experience without having experienced it myself.

I understand that officers have to have a "game face" on when they're in uniform. They have to have that for everyone that they interact with because it's their first line of defense. Once you talk with them and/or get to know them on a personal level, you'll find that a majority of them are very easy going and down to earth. You may even be pleasantly surprised at the person they are when they're not on duty.

However, under the surface, the career doesn't end when the badge comes off at the end of their shift. They have to constantly watch their backs every day for criminals who know who they are and are out for revenge, be prepared to be called to duty at any given time and have to live with the nightmares and flashbacks of the horrors of everything they had to witness and be exposed towhile on duty during their entire career.

They're our soldiers at home, and their enemies live amongst us and do not stand out in any way, shape or form.

Knowing what I know about LEOs now, I wave to them when I see them. I've anonymously paid for their meals in restaurants without their knowledge. When I'm in their presence, I do everything that I can so that they're comfortable that I'm genuinely not a threat. They're often times not used to compliments, or shows of appreciation. A majority of them think that nobody cares, and after a while, having only interacted with people who let them know that they're not appreciated, they begin to think that they're not appreciated, and that translates into their souring of dealing with the public because they're expecting ridicule.

I think the populace has brought a majority of their issues with the police on themselves without knowing it. Then, just like with any organization, there are just some that are bad apples.