• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another reason to use Safariland holsters

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

So I pulled my rollerblades out of storage today since the weather's getting nice. I decided to roll across town to drop some videos off and pick up a new one. It was a spur of the moment thing, and since I had my SW99 in my safariland holster already on my belt, I just headed out the door with my wheels on.

Well about halfway through my journey the inevitable happened, and I fell. A rock jammed between my wheels and I went down on my right side, my holstered gun between me and the pavement. I got up, gathered myself, and checked my gun. I had slid from pavement to grass, and had to pull a clump of dirt and grass out of the bottom of the holster. I was sure something was jacked up.

When I got home I checked my gear. I could see the scuff mark where the holster drug across the asphalt. I rubbed it with my finger, and it disappeared! NOT A SCRATCH! My gun is fine, too. I can't believe it lol. This is a hell of a holster.

Anyway I should have known not to rollerblade with the gun on my hip :Dbut I'm really not sure where else I should carry it. Maybe this would be a good time for a shoulder rig. You guys have any suggestions?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Just because it is you, I recommend the Blackhawk SERPA CQC Level II holster and shoulder platform. :D

lol smart alec! Actually safariland makes a shoulder version of the ALS holster I already use, so that option is there. When I do get a shoulder holster, though,it will either be leather or some sort of nylon stuff. Every hard plastic type shoulder holster I've looked at was much thicker than a leather holster.

I don't know that I would want to wear a shoulder holster while rollerblading, but I really can't think of another way to do it. Any belt holster, IWB or OWB, is something to fall on. Anything on my legs would be the same way, and would be swinging all over the place. My carry bag is either attached to my belt, or swinging everywhere. I'd hate to have to not carry at all! :shock:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DreQo wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Just because it is you, I recommend the Blackhawk SERPA CQC Level II holster and shoulder platform. :D
lol smart alec! Actually safariland makes a shoulder version of the ALS holster I already use, so that option is there. When I do get a shoulder holster, though,it will either be leather or some sort of nylon stuff. Every hard plastic type shoulder holster I've looked at was much thicker than a leather holster.

I don't know that I would want to wear a shoulder holster while rollerblading, but I really can't think of another way to do it. Any belt holster, IWB or OWB, is something to fall on. Anything on my legs would be the same way, and would be swinging all over the place. My carry bag is either attached to my belt, or swinging everywhere. I'd hate to have to not carry at all! :shock:
I do not yet have a shoulder holster but have been looking for about a year and talking to people about them. Probably the #2 complaint I have heard about them is that they swing around too much if you are not wearing something over them, eg a sports coat. A lot of those "swingers" were older designs though without the straps down to your belt to stabilize the rig. But even with those, there is still movement in the rig. Dichotomous to the inherenet movement in a shoulder rig, if you get a horizontal carry rig, instead of vertical carry, and wipe out, and if the holster doesn't fully protect the muzzle end of your pistol, it could a good wack right on the end if you went down backwards. Happy shopping!