• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-Gun Gun Owners?

Eagleeye

imported post

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/5548

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our Biggest Problem: Anti-gun Gun Owners

printable page
Submitted by cbaus on Tue, 03/25/2008 - 00:05.

National PoliticsGun Grabbers

By Gerard Valentino

The District of Columbia v. Heller case was argued before the United States Supreme Court just a few days ago.
If the arguments were indicative of the final ruling, gun owners are in for the victory of our lifetime – or any lifetime.
It will take months for the ruling to come down and as usual, different factions of gun owners are hoping for different outcomes.
Self-defense advocates and those who believe the 2nd Amendment affirms the right to carry a gun at all times for
protection are hoping for a broad ruling that strikes down all restrictive gun bans.
There is another large faction of gun owners, however, who don’t really care whether the D.C gun ban is upheld.

They are the type who live with their head in the sand and refuse to acknowledge they are part of the problem.
Instead, they are either only interested in owning a gun for hunting, or only want a gun for home defense and
don’t see a need to go through life armed.

While gun owners who believe in the right to bear arms for self-defense accept the right of hunters and other factions of

gun owners to hold their beliefs, the opposite isn’t always the case. A visit to a recent hunting trade show exposed many
of the hunting gun owners for being as agreeable to the confiscation of handguns,
or ban on their ownership, as anyone from the anti-gun Brady gang.

Surely there are more hunters who are absolutists on the Second Amendment than there are those who don’t see

government bans on handguns as an infringement on the right to bear arms. However, the latter group does damage to
the pro-gun movement out of all proportion to their population.

It was the anti-gun hunting coalition who John Kerry tried to appeal to by scheduling his fake goose hunting trip in Ohio

during the 2004 presidential election. Unfortunately, there are plenty of gun owners who fell for Kerry’s grandstanding and
they gladly cast their vote in full knowledge of his past schemes to ban certain guns.

When the anti-gun establishment media can find one of the anti-gun gun owners it gives credence to the argument that

there is such a thing as reasonable gun control. While most pro-gun advocates, which include the vast majority of hunters,
know that gun control schemers won’t be happy until all guns are confiscated, the gullible among us who are willing to
sacrifice someone else’s guns to protect there own are deluded into thinking their sports are safe.

Nothing can be further from the truth, however, since the anti-gunners want all our guns. But, much like there are traitors

in every group and those willing to throw their brethren under the bus to protect their own interests,
such is the case with gun owners as well.

It is unfortunate that the anti-gun establishment media can use our own disagreements against us but they will stop at

nothing to see their ultimate goal of total gun confiscation through to the bitter end. That means eventually they will com for the simple hunting shotgun and hunting rifle just as sure as they will come for the supposedly more evil assault rifle or handgun.

Even the establishment media’s decision on what to call certain types of guns plays into their plan to divide gun owners and then conqueror us. Guns labeled Saturday night specials, assault weapons, or guns banned by their inexpensive cost

are all spun as reasonable gun control and accepted by many gun owners.

In a move devoid of integrity or honesty, the anti-gun schemers decided to hide their gun confiscation plans behind the

name of a pro-gun organization. The American Hunter’s and Shooter’s Association was created by a misguided cast of
anti-gunners who knew if they hid their true intentions , and claimed to be a pro-gun group that favored reasonable gun
control, they could help trick the establishment media.

The ASHA, however, failed in one critical area, they didn’t hide their true intent well enough and were caught by the

pro-gun movement. Establishment media reporters were the first to fall for the ASHA con, and it was successful for the
anti-gun movement since they were able to sell their group as pro-gun. Organizations like Buckeye Firearms Association
weren’t fooled and called the ASHA exactly what it is, a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

Due to their willingness to use deception to fool gun owners into thinking the AHSA was a pro-gun organization, the

anti-gunners were able to make headway. What was also disturbing is that there were a fair number of gun owners who
believed AHSA’s rhetoric about reasonable gun control. The fact is, reasonable gun control is a myth and only used to
get the camel’s nose under the tent.
It is a sad state of affairs that some gun owners, whether hunters, collectors or self-defense advocates are willing to allow

restriction on the ownership of guns that aren’t used in their particular sport or hobby. To turn on each other when the
going gets tough is what the anti-gun con men want gun owners to do since when unified, pro-gun advocates are an
unstoppable political force. The power of our vote is the second greatest asset the gun movement possesses.

The first is often overlooked but is vitally important to our interests – the integrity shown by gun owners in fighting for our

rights. Unlike the hysterical ravings of our anti-gun opponents, we stand on principle, have the knowledge that we’re right
and can’t be shaken from our purpose.

Now it’s time to unify completely as we stand on the cusp of what will hopefully be the beginning of our golden age.

When (if) the Heller decision reaffirms the Second Amendment as an individual right and strikes down the Washington
D.C. gun ban, we can hopefully build on that and find ways to defeat a similar ban in my hometown of Chicago, get the
San Francisco bans repealed and return the right of self-defense to millions of Americans.
We must do so together; otherwise, the anti-gun forces will exploit the breach.

Gerard Valentino is the Buckeye Firearms Association Central Ohio Coordinator, writes for the ValentinoChronicle.com and teaches the Ohio Concealed Carry class through Center Mass LTD.
----------------------------------------------------

Considering the Anti-OC Crowd we se all to frequently I would say this is dead on target.
[edited for Formatting]

Dr. Fresh

imported post

I know exactly what this article is talking about. One of the professors at my school is an avid hunter and outdoorsman. One day in class the subject of gun control came up. My opinion was stated, but I was alone in my thinking. The professor didn't back me up like I thought he would. He advocated a handgun ban and said that everyone should be afraid of guns.

Sheldon

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
I know exactly what this article is talking about. One of the professors at my school is an avid hunter and outdoorsman. One day in class the subject of gun control came up. My opinion was stated, but I was alone in my thinking. The professor didn't back me up like I thought he would. He advocated a handgun ban and said that everyone should be afraid of guns.
What you really need to be is afraid of is Bigots like him, he sounds justlikeyour average run of the milldemocrat to me.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Yeah, that he is. He's a nice guy, but like a lot of professors he's a liberal.

imperialism2024

imported post

I recall making a post once that robbers know they're safe to invade a home with an NRA sticker on the front window, since they know that provided the man of the house is home (he's the only one who's allowed to touch the guns), he'll need to go to the basement safe, open it up, take off the triple trigger locks, go to the shed, open the ammo safe, take out and unlock the ammo lockbox, then load up the gun (three round maximum), put on face paint and some deer urine, and can then finally confront the robber...

Flintlock

imported post

There is no question that Americangun owners are not speaking with one voice. If the hunters and sportsman were on the same page as the concealed and open carry crowd with regards to gun rights, it would be a 80-100 million person commanding tone that no politician would be able to ignore.

MetalChris

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
I recall making a post once that robbers know they're safe to invade a home with an NRA sticker on the front window, since they know that provided the man of the house is home (he's the only one who's allowed to touch the guns), he'll need to go to the basement safe, open it up, take off the triple trigger locks, go to the shed, open the ammo safe, take out and unlock the ammo lockbox, then load up the gun (three round maximum), put on face paint and some deer urine, and can then finally confront the robber...
ROFL!! That's priceless!

Eagleeye

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:

That's funny right there! :lol:

Eagleeye

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
There is no question that Americangun owners are not speaking with one voice. If the hunters and sportsman were on the same page as the concealed and open carry crowd with regards to gun rights, it would be a 80-100 million person commanding tone that no politician would be able to ignore.
A member of the awbansunset.com forum I used to know once sat on the NRA board and said some interesting comments about them.

In effect he said that the different factions (types of gun snobs) couldn't agree even to disagree, and would throw any/all others to the wolves simply out of spite, nevermind to draw attention away from "Their favored type of Gun".

One Comment he made was that the "Handgunners" as he called them were the only ones who were even remotely open to the other sides, however the "Handgunners" were also split into 2 groups, the revolver snobs and the ones that liked both types, the revolver snobs apparently being just the same as the Hunters & Shotgunners.

Apparently nothing has changed since in the NRA, hence why I'm not interested in wasting cash on being a member.

GOA on the other hand don't appear to be like that, & regularly point out what shenanigans the NRA gets up to....
(Which they get no end of flack for doing by NRA members)

I Might just become a GOA Member.:cool:

Flintlock

imported post

Eagleeye wrote:
Flintlock wrote:
A member of the awbansunset.com forum I used to know once sat on the NRA board and said some interesting comments about them.

In effect he said that the different factions (types of gun snobs) couldn't agree even to disagree, and would throw any/all others to the wolves simply out of spite, nevermind to draw attention away from "Their favored type of Gun".

One Comment he made was that the "Handgunners" as he called them were the only ones who were even remotely open to the other sides, however the "Handgunners" were also split into 2 groups, the revolver snobs and the ones that liked both types, the revolver snobs apparently being just the same as the Hunters & Shotgunners.

Apparently nothing has changed since in the NRA, hence why I'm not interested in wasting cash on being a member.

GOA on the other hand don't appear to be like that, & regularly point out what shenanigans the NRA gets up to....
(Which they get no end of flack for doing by NRA members)

I Might just become a GOA Member.:cool:
I agree with you Eagleeye. Gun owners dividing themselves into different groups is not at all helpful. I am a member of the pro 2nd amendment community, not of any particular firearm group. The 2nd amendment isn't about duck hunting or trap shooting. I wish all gun owners (and even non gun owners)would understand that.

Tomahawk

imported post

It's just a subset of the phenomenon of freedom-activists not being able to agree on anything. On the one hand you've got the anti-drug-war types, on the other hand you've got the RKBA advocates. Then, in the "nerf-libertarian" category you've got the free-market economists, who often live in places like NY City or DC and don't give a crap about guns.

All of these people want freedom for their particular cause, and often view the others as an impediment and a distraction. Sometimes they even hate each other.

And all this is a subset of the phenomenon of Americans not all being able to agree on what kind of country we should live in and what our overall philosophy should be.

Humans are harder to herd than cats.

hsmith

imported post

I cannot ******* (yes *******) stand people who say "I will protect our right to bear arms, for the sport of hunting"

The 2nd amendment does not say one god damned thing about hunting. !!!

XD40coyote

imported post

IfI were carrying either of my XD's on my trapline, it would NOT be for trapping or hunting, though it would likley put a trapped coyote down alot faster than a .22 through the ribs. If the need arises to carry such on my MD trapline, it WILL be a coyote dispatcher though, only way to OC in MD! Now if I happen to have a running loose 2 legged coyote menacing me, well then y'know...

(And yes I can live with the exit hole on the trapped coyote's hide. A needle and thread do wonders, and it sure isn't the hole a deer rifle makes.)

Of course when talking hunting vs handguns with these numbskulls who think their deer guns are a ok, butour handguns and "assault" rifles aren't, PLEASE do inform them that some hunters do hunt with handguns, and an AR or AK also works for deer hunting. Then you can inform them that the 2A is about hunting tyrants and repelling assorted 2 legged scumbags.

So farI have not met any hunters who think 2A is for deer hunting thank goodness. Ok, well 1 weird guy maybe thinks that way, butI am not going to get into it with him. He owns 78 or something guns btw. Then there is a guy who lives nearby who has an NRA lisc plate, andI am told that he "doesn't like people hurting animals", so I can figure he knows what the 2A is really about. Not hunting.

So far asI can figure, all my PA hunters have a carry lisc, except the guy I sometimes trap with, but he is a strange fellow. I did recently tell him maybe he should get 1 just to have 1. Then he starts in about all the weirdos out there everywhere, before switching over to 90 mins of talk about farmers, and his deer hunting escapades...

MamaLiberty

imported post

All NRA members are not created equal, any more than are all gun owners. Some of us think a lot of what they do is downright stupid, but their training program is still worth supporting. (Even though it needs modification, by all means...)

I'm a member of the NRA (Certified Instructor - I don't contribute to their political arm) I'm also a member of GOA, JFPO, Second Amendment Sisters, Wyoming State Shooting Association, my local gun club, and support several other such organizations the best I can.

I carry a .45 ACP full time, everywhere I go. I am prepared, both mentally and physically, to defend my life and that of those around me at any time.

I teach self defense, especially to women and especially to those who have never handled a gun. And yes, there are some of those even here in Wyoming. I'm also a 62 year old widow.

Please be careful you do not indulge in the same destruction of others you are condemning here. How many of these people are truly evil, and how many are simply ignorant?

We can't educate anyone we don't treat with respect.

imperialism2024

imported post

I should add that I don't have anything against the NRA overall (hell, I finally broke down and became a member), and my previous post was just reflecting the ideology embraced by the majority of gun owners in the US, proportionately represented by the NRA...

Flintlock

imported post

Wanted to bring this thread back from the dead as I have noticed a disturbing trend and I feel the need to vent.

I just want to clear the air about my thoughts onOC. I carry in a variety of different ways and in a variety of different methods depending on environment, location, situation, etc. I don't discriminate against any method carry because I believe in the whole 2nd amendment, not just the part that says, to keep. If one wants to CC, fine with me, I do it myself occassionally. If one wants to OC with a drop-leg holster and wear .511 tactical clothing and an assault vest loadedpacked with extramagazines... Fine... I won't hold it against you.. I might think it's a bit weird and I would keep an open eye, but I am not against it.

This brings me to the other gun owners out there... I don't want to mention individual sites in particular but I have been literally chastised on at least three different sites in the last couple of months, and on one occassion, I was verbally berated and asked not to post anything that even mentions a topic related to OC by a site administrator. I respect their wishes and don't put up too much of a fuss because some of them are CC focused.I only post about OC when someone makes an ignorant comment about it and then I get scolded.

I was following the thread that talks about THR on this siteand the many anti-OC posters there, and this was an example of our battles... I have not doctured it as it's in it's original form except that the posters user name has been removed.
"This is valid criticism. There are some guys who enjoy the reaction, attention, and the feeling of being openly armed in public. I even heard one guy brag "we are the modern day Jedis!" about OC.
rolleyes.gif

There is an open carry forum where a lot of the posts are these guys "testing the water"- open carrying in malls, restaurants, crowded places, etc and then getting in arguments/situations with security, police, managers, or regular citizens. What is the point of causing that issue?

Why not carry concealed and not only avoid alarming people, arguments, and harassment... but more importantly- keep a tactical advantage over perps. If a perp is about to take down a bank, and he sees a Bubba-Gump keyboard-commando mall ninja open carrying in line.... guess what, he is probably getting one in the back of the head at the start of the robbery. Way to give away your advantage because you saw too many Westerns.

CCW is common sense from a self-defense point of view and public relations point of view.

Before I get flamed, if you live in a small town where everyone knows everyone and you can OC without an issue... great, more power to you, sounds like a fine town. But if you've been thrown out of a mall for OC and you're pissed off about it, maybe you need to check yourself."
eek13.gif

I also have seen many eye rolls, rude comments,and others arguing to the teeth about how wrong OC is and the dangers it poses. They literally make the same arguments the antis make and they call themselves gun owners and 2nd amendment supporters. While I will do everything in my power to support and defend their right to CC or carry however they choose, I end uphaving to defend myself against the anti-OC hoardes that refuse to stand together with usand speak with one voice.

I don't think we will ever get to where we need to be unless that happens and it is truly sad that some of the gun owners that pride themselves on not being sheephave been indocrinated into the belief that carrying on one's hip is improper and flaunting an ego.

I could go on forever... Vent over..

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Flintlock wrote:
Wanted to bring this thread back from the dead as I have noticed a disturbing trend and I feel the need to vent.

I just want to clear the air about my thoughts onOC. I carry in a variety of different ways and in a variety of different methods depending on environment, location, situation, etc. I don't discriminate against any method carry because I believe in the whole 2nd amendment, not just the part that says, to keep. If one wants to CC, fine with me, I do it myself occassionally. If one wants to OC with a drop-leg holster and wear .511 tactical clothing and an assault vest loadedpacked with extramagazines... Fine... I won't hold it against you.. I might think it's a bit weird and I would keep an open eye, but I am not against it.

This brings me to the other gun owners out there... I don't want to mention individual sites in particular but I have been literally chastised on at least three different sites in the last couple of months, and on one occassion, I was verbally berated and asked not to post anything that even mentions a topic related to OC by a site administrator. I respect their wishes and don't put up too much of a fuss because some of them are CC focused.I only post about OC when someone makes an ignorant comment about it and then I get scolded.

I was following the thread that talks about THR on this siteand the many anti-OC posters there, and this was an example of our battles... I have not doctured it as it's in it's original form except that the posters user name has been removed.
"This is valid criticism. There are some guys who enjoy the reaction, attention, and the feeling of being openly armed in public. I even heard one guy brag "we are the modern day Jedis!" about OC.
rolleyes.gif

There is an open carry forum where a lot of the posts are these guys "testing the water"- open carrying in malls, restaurants, crowded places, etc and then getting in arguments/situations with security, police, managers, or regular citizens. What is the point of causing that issue?

Why not carry concealed and not only avoid alarming people, arguments, and harassment... but more importantly- keep a tactical advantage over perps. If a perp is about to take down a bank, and he sees a Bubba-Gump keyboard-commando mall ninja open carrying in line.... guess what, he is probably getting one in the back of the head at the start of the robbery. Way to give away your advantage because you saw too many Westerns.

CCW is common sense from a self-defense point of view and public relations point of view.

Before I get flamed, if you live in a small town where everyone knows everyone and you can OC without an issue... great, more power to you, sounds like a fine town. But if you've been thrown out of a mall for OC and you're pissed off about it, maybe you need to check yourself."
eek13.gif

I also have seen many eye rolls, rude comments,and others arguing to the teeth about how wrong OC is and the dangers it poses. They literally make the same arguments the antis make and they call themselves gun owners and 2nd amendment supporters. While I will do everything in my power to support and defend their right to CC or carry however they choose, I end uphaving to defend myself against the anti-OC hoardes that refuse to stand together with usand speak with one voice.

I don't think we will ever get to where we need to be unless that happens and it is truly sad that some of the gun owners that pride themselves on not being sheephave been indocrinated into the belief that carrying on one's hip is improper and flaunting an ego.

I could go on forever... Vent over..
Good post. The Second Amendment isn't even about 'firearms' but about the uninfringed Right to keep and bear arms! Only the narrow minded focus on firearms and 'reasonable infringements.'

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA FOAD

Weak 9mm

imported post

This is sort of off topic, so I do apologize for that, but this thread reminded me of something.

Every week I watch a show on the history channel called "Gangland." I usually see gangs running rampant in places like Los Angeles, California and Chicago, Illinois.

I can't help but think, everytime I see these shows, about the gun laws in those states. The only people the gun laws are affecting are the law abiding citizens. These gang members have access to fully automatic weapons as well as any kind of handgun you could imagine. The most recent episode I saw was on the "Vice Lords," a Chicago gang.

They kill people without thinking twice, and they sure as heck don't care who is caught in the cross fire. When one is arrested, there are 5 more waiting to take their place. Even with all of these gun laws in those states, the criminals STILL HAVE GUNS. Can you imagine living in LA and being required to, if you can even get a gun at all, carry your gun without a round even in the chamber?! What about Chicago?

I wonder why the criminals seem to run rampant in these states that do everything they can to prevent citizens from being armed.

Decoligny

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:

What do you "confront the robber..."?

Wouldn't the home owner set up a blind and wait for the robber to enter a predefined safe field of fire?