Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IA - Pizza Delivery Man Shoots Robber in Self Defense - Will Probably Lose Job

Post imported post

Another Pizza hut worker shoots would be robber, and will no doubt lose his job over it

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/app...29/-1/SPORTS09

An armed pizza deliveryman told Des Moines police that he shot a man who tried to rob him at gunpoint Thursday night outside a south-side apartment building.

When officers arrived at the Sutton Hill Apartments, 2100 S.E. King Ave., the pizza man, James William Spiers, 38, had both handguns, and the wounded robber had fled empty-handed.

The suspect, Kenneth Jimmerson, 19, was arrested when he later called for medical help. Jimmerson was hospitalized Friday with multiple gunshot wounds and faces a charge of first-degree robbery.

OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1'); http://www.desmoinesregister.com/wolfelink][/url] Melanie Stout, 18, who allegedly placed the pizza order, was arrested for conspiracy.

Spiers, who has a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon, escaped injury, although his bosses at Pizza Hut suspended him Friday until police sort out the details of the Thursday-night incident.

"We have policy against carrying weapons," said Vonnie Walbert, vice president of human resources at Pizza Hut's corporate offices in Dallas. "We prohibit employees from carrying guns because we believe that that is the safest for everybody."
    Spiers, who drives for the Pizza Hut at 4100 S.E. 14th St., told police that when he arrived at the entrance of the building shortly after 10 p.m. Thursday, a man put a pistol to his head and demanded cash. Spiers said he grabbed the gun, simultaneously pulling his own weapon and opening fire. When the robber ran away, Spiers called police.

Officers found Spiers in the parking lot shortly after 10:30 p.m. They said Spiers immediately raised his hands and knelt to the ground. A police report said Spiers told officers "that he had a gun in each of his front coat pockets."
    Investigators said Jimmerson later called dispatchers from a second-floor apartment in another building and said he had been shot. He was taken to Mercy Medical Center in serious condition. Police said he was hit by at least three bullets, one of which struck him in the side. Police said Jimmerson will be taken to the Polk County Jail when he is released from the hospital.

Jimmerson's criminal record includes arrests for carrying a concealed weapon and criminal mischief in 2007, harassment in 2006, and assault in 2004.
    Stout, who told jail officials her address is 2150 S.E. King Ave., was charged with conspiracy to commit robbery. Her bond was set at $10,000. A representative for Hubbell Apartments, which manages the Sutton Hill complex, said neither Jimmerson nor Stout is listed as a tenant.

Dennis Howe, who has delivered for Domino's Pizza the past three years, said Thursday's incident was a twist on the all-too-typical story. Police do not keep statistics, but a review of newspaper articles from the past few years shows numerous similar holdups in Des Moines, a few that resulted in injury to the driver.
    "I hate the thought of what happened, but pizza delivery people are easy targets," Howe said. "This was a bizarre turn of events."

Howe's co-worker Kimberly Babis said Spiers should not have been armed on the job, no matter what the safety concern. She said most drivers have the right to refuse a delivery if they feel it could pose danger.

"I don't understand why the pizza delivery guy had a gun," she said. "And even if the other guy was trying to rob him, it's a measly 20 bucks. At least that's how much our drivers have on them."

Post imported post

563 wrote:
    Howe's co-worker Kimberly Babis said Spiers should not have been armed on the job, no matter what the safety concern. She said most drivers have the right to refuse a delivery if they feel it could pose danger.

"I don't understand why the pizza delivery guy had a gun," she said. "And even if the other guy was trying to rob him, it's a measly 20 bucks. At least that's how much our drivers have on them."
    /pukes

Post imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
    563 wrote:

/pukes
    That dumb woman needs to shut up. only $20. BG has gun to your head and your life is only worth $20. good for the delivery guy.

Post imported post

563 wrote:
    "We have policy against carrying weapons," said Vonnie Walbert, vice president of human resources at Pizza Hut's corporate offices in Dallas. "We prohibit employees from carrying guns because we believe that that is the safest for everybody."
    ********. They don't give a damn about safety, but only about liability if one of their employees shoots somebody. Who would want to work for a company that cares so little about the lives of their employees?

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA

Post imported post

563 wrote:
    Spiers said he grabbed the gun, simultaneously pulling his own weapon and opening fire. When the robber ran away, Spiers called police.
    He just dropped the pizza?!?! HORRIBLE customer service. Dirty pizza and I got shot. Never using pizza hut again :celebrate

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

I wonder how she would feel if she had been the driver they tried to rob/rape? I don't think that she'd be singing the same tune. Some poeple just don't get it. Twit.

Post imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
    "I don't understand why the pizza delivery guy had a gun," she said.
    Obviously not. Ass.

-ljp

Post imported post

So when the driver gets shot because he only has $20 and the robber thinks he's holding out, the company P.R. department says what? "What happened is a terrible thing, and we feel very sorry for his family." Great. BG gets away with murder, $20, a ****** car, the $200 in the car, and then does it again.

Post imported post

mmdkyoung123 wrote:
    563 wrote:
    Spiers said he grabbed the gun, simultaneously pulling his own weapon and opening fire. When the robber ran away, Spiers called police.
    He just dropped the pizza?!?! HORRIBLE customer service. Dirty pizza and I got shot. Never using pizza hut again :celebrate
    LMAO

Great comments in the thread. I agree with everyone thus far.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Yeah, Kimberly, why would a pizza delivery guy need a gun?

Two young men were delivering pizza in my parent's small hometown in NJ when they were ruthlessly and intentionally slaughtered. Not for the money....just because the murdersboth wanted to kill:

Deliverd to their death
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...6285-1,00.html

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...51C0A9669C8B63

And there's others. The news is REPLETE with them.

2 sought in attempted robbery of delivery man
    http://www.nj.com/centraljersey/inde...d_robbery.html

Delivery driver: No charges in shooting death
    http://www.pizzamarketplace.com/article.php?id=7613

Pizza delivery man recovering after Concord robbery, shooting
    http://www.insidebayarea.com/localnews/ci_8240660

Pizza delivery shooting nets 40 years
    http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-149678093.html

Sheesh...I could be here all day! Here's the Google search: http://tinyurl.com/39baty

Post imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
    563 wrote:

/pukes
    Her feeling is, they should read a crystal ball and if they can't do that, they should die. Yeah, that's reasonable.

Post imported post

Sure... it is not worth the $20.00 he has on him....

But what about his own wallet filled with his cash and credit cards, his mobile phone, wedding ring, or watch??

What about when the robber only gets $20 and gets pissed and kicks the crap out of the driver for wasting his time??

What about the robbers that do not want to have any witnesses and he kills the driver??

Oh.. the driver can refuse if the area is too dangerous... But the robber may not stick to the known bad spots. You can be robbed in rich neighborhoods too.

I would carry a gun too and if I got fired.. WHO CARES!!! I am alive and can find another delivery job. Plus the bad guy was shot and will go to prison now.

Post imported post

B-b-b-b-b-b-b-ut the th-th-th-ief will l-l-l-l-l-eave you al-al-al-one i-i-i-i-f you just give him what he wants! He'd never hurt you if you just hand over the money and then cower in the fetal position!

What kind of weird, utopian bubble do these complete wastes of oxygen that make up corporate policies live in? Will they ever "get it"?

Post imported post

Ever since the incident in Florida where the Pizza Hut manager defended himself and a employee from a armed attacker and got canned for doing soI've been boycotting Pizza Hut and so has my family. The honchos that run the corperation obviously care nothing for the safety of their employees and customers and I wont support such a farce.

Their pizza sucks anyway, Domino's is better.
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

Post imported post

Huck wrote:
    Ever since the incident in Florida where the Pizza Hut manager defended himself and a employee from a armed attacker and got canned for doing soI've been boycotting Pizza Hut and so has my family. The honchos that run the corperation obviously care nothing for the safety of their employees and customers and I wont support such a farce.

Dominos recently fired a delivery person who defended himself with a gun. Can't find the thread for that in a search, but it was discussed here.

Post imported post

Back in the 80's I delivered for Dominoes, we never took bills over the size of a twenty. I always went to the door with change for a twenty for the pizza I was carrying( pizza 12.41 cash 7.59) and never carried my wallet just my DL. I once had a shotgun pulled on me for the pizza and what cash I was carrying. I quit that night.

The company I work for now is anti-gun but I am in the process of changing the policy. I have HR & Security backing me. Now to clear legal.

Post imported post

ama-gi wrote:
    Huck wrote:

Dominos recently fired a delivery person who defended himself with a gun. Can't find the thread for that in a search, but it was discussed here.
    Hence why I get Papa Murphys, Besides, Dominhoes & Pizza But's Pizza's arent realy that good anyway.

Post imported post

fizzer wrote:
    USAF_MetalChris wrote:
    563 wrote:

/pukes
    That dumb woman needs to shut up. only $20. BG has gun to your head and your life is only worth $20. good for the delivery guy.
    SHAME ON PIZZA HUT!!!! In 1999 three Pizza Hut employees were murdered in cold blood for get this- $60. Yep, that's right sixty measly dollars- the three perps demanded the money then shot them execution style. This statement by Pizza Hut is just plain sick! The carnage was so bad that the Pizza Hut where these killings occured had to be demolished and re-built- I had eaten there and spoken to the kids that were killed just two weeks prior. The fact that anyone associated with Pizza Hut would evenquote a failed company policy- a failed policy that cost threeyouths from Tucson, Arizonatheir lives- in order to justify their hoplophobia is just disgraceful!!!!

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
    The company I work for now is anti-gun but I am in the process of changing the policy. I have HR & Security backing me. Now to clear legal.
    Oh yeah? Where do you work?

Also, does anyone feel like lighting up the Dominoes Corporate lines a little?

https://info.dominos.com/dominos_piz...ntact?openform
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    Oh.. the driver can refuse if the area is too dangerous...
    CAN he? I've heard claims that refusal to deliver to certain areasis "racist".

We have a choice between:

Not being able to order take-out if you live in certain communities.

Delivery drivers getting robbed and or murdered to deliver REALLY crappy pizza.

ALL communities being served AND that service NOT being a suicide mission for those providing it.

I know which one I'd choose, but then I'm not a ******* who thinks that we need OSHA for armed robbers but NOT their victims.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Post imported post

Deanimator wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    Oh.. the driver can refuse if the area is too dangerous...
    CAN he? I've heard claims that refusal to deliver to certain areasis "racist".

We have a choice between:

Not being able to order take-out if you live in certain communities.

Delivery drivers getting robbed and or murdered to deliver REALLY crappy pizza.

ALL communities being served AND that service NOT being a suicide mission for those providing it.

I know which one I'd choose, but then I'm not a ******* who thinks that we need OSHA for armed robbers but NOT their victims.
    I agree with you....

Can you imagine if everyone refused to deliver to a certain area knownfor robberies???

What is more important...? Businessor employee safety?

Choose wisely... Now get in the car of your fired!!

Post imported post

Iowa Senator to Stop Buying Pizza Hut if It Fires Delivery Man Who Shot Robber

An Iowa state senator has vowed to stop buying Pizza Hut products if the chain fires a Des Moines delivery man who shot a teen who tried to rob him last week.

Sen. Brad Zaun, R-Urbandale, told other lawmakers that he supports the delivery man, James William Spiers, according to a report in the Des Moines Register.

"I think what he did was the right thing," Zaun said Tuesday. "If I was in a situation to protect my family, protect myself, to continue being a father, I would’ve done the same thing."

The chain has suspended Spiers pending an investigation, the Register reports.

"We have policy against carrying weapons," Vonnie Walbert, vice president of human resources at Pizza Hut's corporate offices in Dallas told the paper for a March 28 story. "We prohibit employees from carrying guns because we believe that that is the safest for everybody."

But Zaun thinks Spiers, who had a permit to carry the concealed weapon, was well within his rights when he fired the shots March 27, so Zaun is "going to be watching Pizza Hut."

Kenneth Jimmerson, 19, who was hit with three bullets, called 911 for medical help and subsequently was arrested on a charge of first-degree robbery.

(Source)

Post imported post

"We prohibit employees from carrying guns because we believe that that is the safest for everybody."

Heaven Forbid the delivery guy shot a bad guy during a robbery. This could mean that the bad guy would never order pizza from them!!

So when we say "safest for everybody" we mean EVERYBODY!! A delivery guy can be replaced.. but not a potential customer lost means less money.

Post imported post

I don't remember if we were talking about it on here or not, but the pizza guy who shot the would be robber is being supported by an Iowa senator:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,344608,00.html

An Iowa state senator has vowed to stop buying Pizza Hut products if the chain fires a Des Moines delivery man who shot a teen who tried to rob him last week.

Sen. Brad Zaun, R-Urbandale, told other lawmakers that he supports the delivery man, James William Spiers, according to a report in the Des Moines Register.

"I think what he did was the right thing," Zaun said Tuesday. "If I was in a situation to protect my family, protect myself, to continue being a father, I would’ve done the same thing."

The chain has suspended Spiers pending an investigation, the Register reports.

"We have policy against carrying weapons," Vonnie Walbert, vice president of human resources at Pizza Hut's corporate offices in Dallas told the paper for a March 28 story. "We prohibit employees from carrying guns because we believe that that is the safest for everybody."

But Zaun thinks Spiers, who had a permit to carry the concealed weapon, was well within his rights when he fired the shots March 27, so Zaun is "going to be watching Pizza Hut."

Kenneth Jimmerson, 19, who was hit with three bullets, called 911 for medical help and subsequently was arrested on a charge of first-degree robbery.

Post imported post

I sent this to Pizza Hut via their website feedback form. Everyone should contact them and say something to this effect.

If James Spiers is fired for defending himself I will never eat at Pizza Hut again. I will tell all of my family and friends and co-workers that if they value their right to self defense they will never eat at Pizza Hut again.

Sincerely,
    Nathan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast