• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IA - Pizza Delivery Man Shoots Robber in Self Defense - Will Probably Lose Job

imported post

Another Pizza hut worker shoots would be robber, and will no doubt lose his job over it

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080329/NEWS/803290329/-1/SPORTS09

An armed pizza deliveryman told Des Moines police that he shot a man who tried to rob him at gunpoint Thursday night outside a south-side apartment building.

When officers arrived at the Sutton Hill Apartments, 2100 S.E. King Ave., the pizza man, James William Spiers, 38, had both handguns, and the wounded robber had fled empty-handed.

The suspect, Kenneth Jimmerson, 19, was arrested when he later called for medical help. Jimmerson was hospitalized Friday with multiple gunshot wounds and faces a charge of first-degree robbery.
adlabel_horz.gif

OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1'); http://www.desmoinesregister.com/wolfelink]
Wolfe_300x250_2626.swf
[/url]
Melanie Stout, 18, who allegedly placed the pizza order, was arrested for conspiracy.

Spiers, who has a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon, escaped injury, although his bosses at Pizza Hut suspended him Friday until police sort out the details of the Thursday-night incident.

"We have policy against carrying weapons," said Vonnie Walbert, vice president of human resources at Pizza Hut's corporate offices in Dallas. "We prohibit employees from carrying guns because we believe that that is the safest for everybody."
Spiers, who drives for the Pizza Hut at 4100 S.E. 14th St., told police that when he arrived at the entrance of the building shortly after 10 p.m. Thursday, a man put a pistol to his head and demanded cash. Spiers said he grabbed the gun, simultaneously pulling his own weapon and opening fire. When the robber ran away, Spiers called police.

Officers found Spiers in the parking lot shortly after 10:30 p.m. They said Spiers immediately raised his hands and knelt to the ground. A police report said Spiers told officers "that he had a gun in each of his front coat pockets."
Investigators said Jimmerson later called dispatchers from a second-floor apartment in another building and said he had been shot. He was taken to Mercy Medical Center in serious condition. Police said he was hit by at least three bullets, one of which struck him in the side. Police said Jimmerson will be taken to the Polk County Jail when he is released from the hospital.

Jimmerson's criminal record includes arrests for carrying a concealed weapon and criminal mischief in 2007, harassment in 2006, and assault in 2004.
Stout, who told jail officials her address is 2150 S.E. King Ave., was charged with conspiracy to commit robbery. Her bond was set at $10,000. A representative for Hubbell Apartments, which manages the Sutton Hill complex, said neither Jimmerson nor Stout is listed as a tenant.

Dennis Howe, who has delivered for Domino's Pizza the past three years, said Thursday's incident was a twist on the all-too-typical story. Police do not keep statistics, but a review of newspaper articles from the past few years shows numerous similar holdups in Des Moines, a few that resulted in injury to the driver.
"I hate the thought of what happened, but pizza delivery people are easy targets," Howe said. "This was a bizarre turn of events."

Howe's co-worker Kimberly Babis said Spiers should not have been armed on the job, no matter what the safety concern. She said most drivers have the right to refuse a delivery if they feel it could pose danger.

"I don't understand why the pizza delivery guy had a gun," she said. "And even if the other guy was trying to rob him, it's a measly 20 bucks. At least that's how much our drivers have on them."

MetalChris

imported post

563 wrote:
Howe's co-worker Kimberly Babis said Spiers should not have been armed on the job, no matter what the safety concern. She said most drivers have the right to refuse a delivery if they feel it could pose danger.

"I don't understand why the pizza delivery guy had a gun," she said. "And even if the other guy was trying to rob him, it's a measly 20 bucks. At least that's how much our drivers have on them."
/pukes

fizzer

imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
563 wrote:

/pukes
That dumb woman needs to shut up. only $20. BG has gun to your head and your life is only worth $20. good for the delivery guy.

dangerousman

imported post

563 wrote:
"We have policy against carrying weapons," said Vonnie Walbert, vice president of human resources at Pizza Hut's corporate offices in Dallas. "We prohibit employees from carrying guns because we believe that that is the safest for everybody."
Bullshit. They don't give a damn about safety, but only about liability if one of their employees shoots somebody. Who would want to work for a company that cares so little about the lives of their employees?

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I wonder how she would feel if she had been the driver they tried to rob/rape? I don't think that she'd be singing the same tune. Some poeple just don't get it. Twit.

Pointman

imported post

So when the driver gets shot because he only has $20 and the robber thinks he's holding out, the company P.R. department says what? "What happened is a terrible thing, and we feel very sorry for his family." Great. BG gets away with murder, $20, a shitty car, the $200 in the car, and then does it again.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mmdkyoung123 wrote:
563 wrote:
Spiers said he grabbed the gun, simultaneously pulling his own weapon and opening fire. When the robber ran away, Spiers called police.
He just dropped the pizza?!?! HORRIBLE customer service. Dirty pizza and I got shot. Never using pizza hut again :cuss::celebrate
LMAO

Great comments in the thread. I agree with everyone thus far.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yeah, Kimberly, why would a pizza delivery guy need a gun?

Two young men were delivering pizza in my parent's small hometown in NJ when they were ruthlessly and intentionally slaughtered. Not for the money....just because the murdersboth wanted to kill:

Deliverd to their death
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,986285-1,00.html

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9806E2DD1639F935A15751C0A9669C8B63

And there's others. The news is REPLETE with them.

2 sought in attempted robbery of delivery man
http://www.nj.com/centraljersey/index.ssf/2008/03/2_sought_in_attempted_robbery.html

Delivery driver: No charges in shooting death
http://www.pizzamarketplace.com/article.php?id=7613

Pizza delivery man recovering after Concord robbery, shooting
http://www.insidebayarea.com/localnews/ci_8240660

Pizza delivery shooting nets 40 years
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-149678093.html

Sheesh...I could be here all day! Here's the Google search: http://tinyurl.com/39baty

sjhipple

imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
563 wrote:

/pukes
Her feeling is, they should read a crystal ball and if they can't do that, they should die. Yeah, that's reasonable.

LEO 229

imported post

Sure... it is not worth the $20.00 he has on him....

But what about his own wallet filled with his cash and credit cards, his mobile phone, wedding ring, or watch??

What about when the robber only gets $20 and gets pissed and kicks the crap out of the driver for wasting his time??

What about the robbers that do not want to have any witnesses and he kills the driver??

Oh.. the driver can refuse if the area is too dangerous... But the robber may not stick to the known bad spots. You can be robbed in rich neighborhoods too.

I would carry a gun too and if I got fired.. WHO CARES!!! I am alive and can find another delivery job. Plus the bad guy was shot and will go to prison now.

MetalChris

imported post

B-b-b-b-b-b-b-ut the th-th-th-ief will l-l-l-l-l-eave you al-al-al-one i-i-i-i-f you just give him what he wants! He'd never hurt you if you just hand over the money and then cower in the fetal position!

What kind of weird, utopian bubble do these complete wastes of oxygen that make up corporate policies live in? Will they ever "get it"?

Huck

imported post

Ever since the incident in Florida where the Pizza Hut manager defended himself and a employee from a armed attacker and got canned for doing soI've been boycotting Pizza Hut and so has my family. The honchos that run the corperation obviously care nothing for the safety of their employees and customers and I wont support such a farce.

Their pizza sucks anyway, Domino's is better.

sjhipple

imported post

Huck wrote:
Ever since the incident in Florida where the Pizza Hut manager defended himself and a employee from a armed attacker and got canned for doing soI've been boycotting Pizza Hut and so has my family. The honchos that run the corperation obviously care nothing for the safety of their employees and customers and I wont support such a farce.

Dominos recently fired a delivery person who defended himself with a gun. Can't find the thread for that in a search, but it was discussed here.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Back in the 80's I delivered for Dominoes, we never took bills over the size of a twenty. I always went to the door with change for a twenty for the pizza I was carrying( pizza 12.41 cash 7.59) and never carried my wallet just my DL. I once had a shotgun pulled on me for the pizza and what cash I was carrying. I quit that night.

The company I work for now is anti-gun but I am in the process of changing the policy. I have HR & Security backing me. Now to clear legal.

Eagleeye

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
Huck wrote:

Dominos recently fired a delivery person who defended himself with a gun. Can't find the thread for that in a search, but it was discussed here.
Hence why I get Papa Murphys, Besides, Dominhoes & Pizza But's Pizza's arent realy that good anyway.

Dahwg

imported post

fizzer wrote:
USAF_MetalChris wrote:
563 wrote:

/pukes
That dumb woman needs to shut up. only $20. BG has gun to your head and your life is only worth $20. good for the delivery guy.
SHAME ON PIZZA HUT!!!! In 1999 three Pizza Hut employees were murdered in cold blood for get this- $60. Yep, that's right sixty measly dollars- the three perps demanded the money then shot them execution style. This statement by Pizza Hut is just plain sick! The carnage was so bad that the Pizza Hut where these killings occured had to be demolished and re-built- I had eaten there and spoken to the kids that were killed just two weeks prior. The fact that anyone associated with Pizza Hut would evenquote a failed company policy- a failed policy that cost threeyouths from Tucson, Arizonatheir lives- in order to justify their hoplophobia is just disgraceful!!!!

Deanimator

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Oh.. the driver can refuse if the area is too dangerous...

CAN he? I've heard claims that refusal to deliver to certain areasis "racist".

We have a choice between:

Not being able to order take-out if you live in certain communities.

Delivery drivers getting robbed and or murdered to deliver REALLY crappy pizza.

ALL communities being served AND that service NOT being a suicide mission for those providing it.

I know which one I'd choose, but then I'm not a jackass who thinks that we need OSHA for armed robbers but NOT their victims.