Thread: The New Guy

Post imported post

Hello,

I am new to this. I just bought my first pistol a High Point 9mm and not really sure how OC works, can it be loaded? Im in the miltary and use to carrying a M249 (which was my best buddy in Iraq for 15 months) but never carried a handgun. Any info would be great, I am in the eastliverpool area soI boarder the PA line and W.VA line so i have to brush up on their laws as well. Any info would be great.

Thank You

Post imported post

Legally, yes, you can carry a non-concealed, loaded handgun on your person in Ohio (concealed carry is only legal with a license/permit). The police may well take an interest in what you're up to, possibly at the request of "concerned citizens." You may be threatened with arrest for inducing panic, disorderly conduct, or the like. You may even actually be arrested. The law is on your side, but people have certainly been treated arbitrarily by law enforcement despite their nominal rights and the letter of the law. It happens.

You can read the actual text of the Ohio Revised Code concerning "weapons control" in the following link: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923. I'm sad to say that many sections are ambiguous and leave room for abuse or interpretation. You might consider getting the carry permit as a hedge against such legal difficulties. The police treat people without permits more harshly (they may assume you're a jerk who can't get one for some reason, like a misdemeanor druggie). Good carrying and good luck.

-ljp

Post imported post

Thanks alot for the info, I just printed the packet for the CC and am about to take it to the sheriffs office to drop off,.