• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does ammo ever go bad?

LEO 229

imported post

Sa45auto wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
.....Only dangerous if the house catches fire.....

Actually it is not even dangerous then. It is not like the movies where they throw some ammo in the fire and it goes off.

In a fire the indivigual cartridges will burst, but the rounds won't fire and no one will be shot.

As the cartridge is heated it will rupture from the expansion of the gas inside. The powder may then burn.
You can see how often I throw rounds into the fire.. :D

swillden

imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
Just having a round chambered in a home defence weapon, for example, doesn't even remotely creat the conditions needed for a round to cook-off
Why not? In a housefire, the gun will get as hot as the surrounding fire. Since a campfire is hot enough to cause rounds to cook off, a housefire certainly is.

I have no doubt that if you were to take a loaded gun and toss it in a campfire, within a few minutes it would fire. Likewise a home-defense weapon in a housefire. I'm not so sure an autoloader would cycle through the magazine, though; I'd think the rounds have just as much chance of blowing in the magazine as in the chamber.

Hmm. This would be a cool one for Mythbusters to test.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

swillden wrote:
FightingGlock19 wrote:
Just having a round chambered in a home defence weapon, for example, doesn't even remotely creat the conditions needed for a round to cook-off
Why not? In a housefire, the gun will get as hot as the surrounding fire. Since a campfire is hot enough to cause rounds to cook off, a housefire certainly is.

I have no doubt that if you were to take a loaded gun and toss it in a campfire, within a few minutes it would fire. Likewise a home-defense weapon in a housefire. I'm not so sure an autoloader would cycle through the magazine, though; I'd think the rounds have just as much chance of blowing in the magazine as in the chamber.

Hmm. This would be a cool one for Mythbusters to test.
That would be a cool one to see. Unfortunately, I don't think it is feasible. Isn't there an issue with blanks not cycling a semi-auto? If it won't cycle with blanks how dangerous would that test be? It would have to be conducted in a bullet-proof room and then how would you vent the heat source without leaving the at least slight chance of a richocet leaving through that vent? But it would be really neat!

swillden

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
That would be a cool one to see. Unfortunately, I don't think it is feasible. Isn't there an issue with blanks not cycling a semi-auto? If it won't cycle with blanks how dangerous would that test be? It would have to be conducted in a bullet-proof room and then how would you vent the heat source without leaving the at least slight chance of a richocet leaving through that vent? But it would be really neat!
Yeah, it might take some effort to build a safe test chamber. They wouldn't necessarily have to use a fire, though. They could use an electric heat source, adjusted to the correct temperature. If they did want to use a fire that could probably be done too, but it would require some careful engineering.

If I were trying to test the myth, I think I'd dig a hole then cover the roof with two or three layers of sandbags. Then I'd heat the gun in an electric oven, inside the test chamber.

I'd like to see what happens to some of the polymer frame pistols. I think the polymer would melt before the rounds cook off. Of course the barrel and chamber aren't polymer, but the plastic does hold some of the pieces in position. My guess is that the chamber would stay closed after the polymer is melted, so the chambered round would fire "normally", but that the magazine wouldn't stay in position so even if the rounds didn't cook off in the mag, they wouldn't feed. I'd also be curious if a handgun that is just lying on some surface would cycle properly even if the magazine were in place.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

A buddy of mine reloads and uses powder that DuPont made back in the 70's when he worked for DuPont, heh! Cool and dry and you should be good.

Sa45auto

imported post

Pointman wrote:
Shortie's article ( http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/search.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-02-20-0111.html ) is another one filled with feeling and quotes but very little in the way of facts. MythBusters may not be 100% accurate, but at least they use working models and the Scientific Method rather than interviewing a few people and making things up, unlike the modern media.

That is true.

We can all find anecdotal data that is worth just about what we payed for it.

In the absence of true scientific data, which I don't have, I can offer this.

I bought a .30-06 in 1964. I also bought a supply of surplus ammo, from WWII and shot it with no problem.....the ammo being about 20 years old.

When I moved to Texas back in 1974, I bought some shells for my 12 gauge. The shells got put up and forgotten. I found them last year and I took a young friend of mine out shooting and they shot just fine.....the ammo being about 33 years old.

Not very scientific, but my experience shows...keep it cool and dry and it will store andwork for a very long time.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have 8-10 rds of UMC .38 spc ammo left that my g/f bought when he got home from WWII. There were about 75 rds which my uncle and I shot in the early to mid 80s when it was about 40 years old. The last time I shot any was in the late 90s when it was over 50 years old and it was still fine. I don't know when or if I will shoot the remainder although now I am tempted to try a round next time at the range.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yep. Military ammo is made to milsurp specs and that means waterproofing sealant around bullet and primer and a crimped in primer. Lasts long time!