• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FAA/TSA-approved -- how much does this holster suck?

W.E.G.

imported post

FAA/TSA-approved -- how much does this holster suck?

I swear to God, if it weren't true, I wouldn't believe it.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080328/NATION/927995814/1002
and
http://www.crimefilenews.com/2007/12/tsa-arrogance-threatens-safety-of-air.html

Holstervault_key_2.jpg

Flintlock

imported post

I am not sure it's the holster itself that sucks. It's the ridiculous lock that is connected to it, making it relatively unaccessable when itmight beneeded. If they were going to have absurd restrictions like this, then why not havea lock box with a code that can be typed in quickly and not have to take off the holster from the belt at all?

Better yet, let the pilots carry on they're person wherever they want and have them use holsters with decent retension or have them conceal carry like the Air Marshals can and do.

TheEggman

imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
the holster only has the lock on it when the pilot doesn't have the holster on their belt.
If the pilots are frequently removing the holster (as in between flights, etc.) it would appear that some type of Paddle Holster would make more sense.

These guys are trained and sworn. What's with the stupid lock anyway? Is this required by airport or local police, or all TSA officers?

Now I'll give you that it looks like nice leather and a quality holster, but ... it's leather! Unless the lock blocks the trigger in some fashion, or there is a layer of metal somewhere, all it would take is a sharp knife (box cutters anyone) to cut it away.

Children ... can we say 'feel good -- give in to the whiners and make our pilots look like untrustworthy idiots.'

If they can handle the stress of the job while controlling tens of millions in multi-tonnage machinery with little room for error, then we shouldn't be treating them like children.

Conversely ...

If a person can't be trusted to safely handle a firearm, as millions of us do every day, then they shouldn't be trusted with a really complicated machine such as an airliner, or a printing press.

But you'll never see the headline ... "Today, tens of millions of potentially deadly firarms accidents didn't happen."

TheEggman

imported post

Those keys look like they'd be REALLY HARD to dulpicate. (Unless, of course, you had access to a scrap of metal and a file or grinder.)

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

The padlock is a master #175 ressetable combo padlock. The keys are only used to reset the combination once the correct combination is enered. The lock looks made for a private label company.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LOL...it figures a guy named LOCKMAN would know that! The whole holster looks to me to be a #1 Piece of Crap (Mod A)!

That holster sucks so much.....

(HOW MUCH DOES IT SUCK?)

It sucks SO MUCH that when I viewed the picture on my monitor, my EARS POPPED!

Euromutt

imported post

TheEggman wrote:
Now I'll give you that it looks like nice leather and a quality holster, but ... it's leather! Unless the lock blocks the trigger in some fashion, or there is a layer of metal somewhere, all it would take is a sharp knife (box cutters anyone) to cut it away.
Give Galco some credit, they did think of that. From the product webpage:

Even if the leather holster were to be cut away from the firearm, the trigger could not be squeezed because the lock will remain intact behind the trigger.

As FightingGlock19 correctly notes, the idea is that you padlock the weapon in the holster only when you have to take it off (you can also use a pair of handcuffs, and fix the other cuff to some difficult-to-move object).

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:
LOL...it figures a guy named LOCKMAN would know that! The whole holster looks to me to be a #1 Piece of Crap (Mod A)!

That holster sucks so much.....

(HOW MUCH DOES IT SUCK?)

It sucks SO MUCH that when I viewed the picture on my monitor, my EARS POPPED!
Where are you going, BobCav? And why are you in that handbasket? :lol:

Euromutt

imported post

thnycav wrote:
http://blutube.policeone.com/Clip.aspx?key=C62583DE87C4AAF1

I think this demo will clear it up about the holster and lock.
That did clarify a lot, thanks for posting that.
Of course, for the H&K USP to have been discharged in that fashion, the FDO had to have left the manual safety off as well, so there's stil a certain amount of operator negligence at work here.

Tomahawk

imported post

Euromutt wrote:
...there's stil a certain amount of operator negligence at work here.

Almost every aviation accident investigation I've ever read involved not just one bad decision, but a chain of bad decisions and events. Remove any one of these links in the chain, and the accident would likely not have happened.

This is no different. The operator's negligence would not have led to an AD if he hadn't been forced to use that awful piece of garbage forced upon him (and everyone who flies with him) by a vindictive, phony,and essentially evil agency that does everything it can to skirt the law passed by Congress in order to help safeguard airliners from hijackings.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Euromutt wrote:
thnycav wrote:
http://blutube.policeone.com/Clip.aspx?key=C62583DE87C4AAF1

I think this demo will clear it up about the holster and lock.
That did clarify a lot, thanks for posting that.
Of course, for the H&K USP to have been discharged in that fashion, the FDO had to have left the manual safety off as well, so there's stil a certain amount of operator negligence at work here.
According to a post in the other thread on this matter, I believe by pointman, the H&K used and designed to TSA specs, is a DAO with no external safeties.

imperialism2024

imported post

When I first saw that photo, I thought it was a photoshopped joke that was supposed to poke fun at "safer gun" laws, like those requiring chamber indicators and Smart Gun crap. I was sad to find out that it wasn't meant to be a joke...