• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

being polite is so passe

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Weenie, now THAT is justice! Well done!

I too am always polite and hold doors, but Iwas just raised that way. I've never had an issue with it, but no matter how crappy others might get, I'm not going to change who I am and compromise my integrity by lowering myself to their level.

hsmith

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
snip

New Acura rim with matching tire - $713.52
New trunk carpet - $185.39
New jack - $38.97

Realizing that being a snotty bitch just cost you way more than a 'Thank you' - Priceless

:lol:
sounds like changing tires can be a lucrative business! why stop!

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Rey wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!! I LOVE THAT STORY!

Please tell me it's true.  PLEEEASE tell me it's true!

Man, I know a lot of jarheads that would have done the same damn thing. Me included.

Holy crap. that was funny.

Indeed it is true. I was pretty upset that I spent my time/effort, got dirty, on the side of the road, just being a nice guy, and this #%(&@# could only think about her nail appointment.....

I was so tempted to take the spare OFF, but I figured it'd be even more work, which I wasn't about to do at that point..

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Weenie, I would send that in to the local paper! That would actually make a great story and play it up as she took off an abandoned the tire and equipment - just deserts! If she read that, she would be SO pissed!

(Don't mention the sale price!)

XD40coyote

imported post

I am a feminst aka independant woman in a "manly" profession, but I will welcome any man who wants to, to open a door for me, or to do other manly things for me. A man who helps carry something heavy is also quite nice. I'd welcome the flat tire change too, but I would be wary of any man I do not know ( other than aaa guys in aaa vehicles afterI called aaa) stopping to help due to the stuffI was taught growing up about rapists. IfI was carrying, then I would just watch him in cond yellow and not worry so much, but I live in this godforsaken pro crime state whereI couldn't do that legally within the state.

BTW it is firstly a man's job to protect his family, but the mothers job also to protect her kids, or herself be she alone, or if 2 people are needed against attackers. If some nutjob broke into my house, it would be nice for my dad to do the shooting instead of me, but that would not happen due to dad's " I can't touch guns" thing . If it came to shooting someone, I would get the task and I don't know if I could handle all the legal crap afterwards. It seems manly to handle all that legal crap, and I may be manly in other curcumstances, but I am not THAT manly.

As to ettiquette, there is still plenty in the little PA towns and in York city as well. But OMG go down towards Baltimore, and its just every person for themselves. Some of that is up here, but not too bad. I however cannot stand the tailgating on back roads! Some daysI am already irritated ( PMS perhaps LOL), and if I get 1 idiot driver after another, I just get to near fuming. But I don't let the idiot drivers know, other than if I opt to go the speed limit rather than 5-10 above I was doing before they came up on my butt. Road raging against these idiots is just stupid, but I guess fantasizing shooting them or having a huge deer go through their windsheild is ok, right? LOL

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
New jack - $38.97

Realizing that being a snotty bitch just cost you way more than a 'Thank you' - Priceless

:lol:
Oh you horrible jerk! ROTFLMAO!!!! Nice meeting you the other day BTW.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

I didnt sell it... I tossed it in a dumpster that was bout 15' away at the time...

..Maybe I should have,lol.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hsmith wrote:
And it makes it even harder OC'ing. Pre-OC hsmith would say "your welcome" to the lack of thank you, but post-OCing hsmith knows better to stay away from provoking.

When I first started OCing I became a lot more polite. However, it's become natural enough that I've basically reverted to how I was before.

Don't get me wrong, I consider myself a polite person, but I think I was intent on demonstrating my politeness to the point that I would be overly polite in circumstances which warranted a different approach. ;)

compmanio365

imported post

Right about the time that she wanted to start asking me how long it was going to take would have been the point when I said, "Oh, well, I guess since I'm not fast enough for you, why don't you go ahead and do it yourself." I would have gotten up, dusted myself off and left her there sitting on the side of the road. I would have made sure to give her the double deuce on the way out too. That would have been a great lesson. But then again, I guess I'm just an ass that way. :p

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
SNIP I always hold doors and whatnot, just raised right I guess...

...I get up, told her, 'alrighty, I'm done, you're ready to go' in a normal/polite manner. She says 'ok', comes back around, looks at it, then gets back into her car and starts it up... No 'thank you', nothing... So I stand there for a second just staring at her, she gets back out of her car,and she starts saying about how I took so long (~10 mins), and now I want to get paid for it (I didn't, I just wanted a thank you) and she begrudgingly holds out a few wrinkled 1$ bills... I told her I didn't want her money, that 'this retard' got paid pretty well, and all I was asking for was a thank you. She copped an attitude, got back in her car and left....

...The 500$ aluminum Acura rim with the flat tire on it? Still on the side of the road, right next to me. The trunk carpet that was covering up the jack, and the jack itself... Yup, you guessed it, right next to me as well.... I made sure to dispose of those properly..heh...

New jack - $38.97

Gee, I don't know guys.

It seems misleading to tell her its done and she is ready to go when the jack, carpet, and wheel are still on the side of the road.

To a certain extent she is also responsible for overlooking the jack, carpet, and wheel on the side of the road when she got out and walked back. Especially if the trunk was still open at that point.

I just can't see causing someone $937.88 in losses just for ingratitude and insult.

I could go along with letting her drive off if TechnoWeenie was so distracted by her mistreatment that he didn't notice that he really hadn't finished, either.

But throwing away her property puts a different light on things. Throwing away the parts, rather than leaving them there for her or her husband to find,is pretty expensive revenge for what she did. In a situation like this, one could always just stop helping when it becomes apparent the recipient of the help is an insulting ingrate.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

"A general dissolution of Principles and Manners will more surely overthrow the Liberties of America than the whole Force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but once they lose their virtue they will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader....If virtue and knowledge are disffused among the people, they will never be enslaved. This will be their great security."

Samuel Adams

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Citizen wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
SNIP  I always hold doors and whatnot, just raised right I guess...

...I get up, told her, 'alrighty, I'm done, you're ready to go' in a normal/polite manner. She says 'ok', comes back around, looks at it, then gets back into her car and starts it up... No 'thank you', nothing... So I stand there for a second just staring at her, she gets back out of her car,and she starts saying about how I took so long (~10 mins), and now I want to get paid for it (I didn't, I just wanted a thank you) and she begrudgingly holds out a few wrinkled 1$ bills... I told her I didn't want her money, that 'this retard' got paid pretty well, and all I was asking for was a thank you. She copped an attitude, got back in her car and left....

...The 500$ aluminum Acura rim with the flat tire on it? Still on the side of the road, right next to me. The trunk carpet that was covering up the jack, and the jack itself... Yup, you guessed it, right next to me as well.... I made sure to dispose of those properly..heh...

New jack - $38.97

Gee, I don't know guys.

It seems misleading to tell her its done and she is ready to go when the jack, carpet, and wheel are still on the side of the road.

To a certain extent she is also responsible for overlooking the jack, carpet, and wheel on the side of the road when she got out and walked back.  Especially if the trunk was still open at that point.

I just can't see causing someone $937.88 in losses just for ingratitude and insult.

I could go along with letting her drive off if TechnoWeenie was so distracted by her mistreatment that he didn't notice that he really hadn't finished, either. 

But throwing away her property puts a different light on things.  Throwing away the parts, rather than leaving them there for her or her husband to find, is pretty expensive revenge for what she did.  In a situation like this, one could always just stop helping when it becomes apparent the recipient of the help is an insulting ingrate.

Well,

1. In the situation, she was concerned about the tire, I wasn't thinking about the details, how many times have you said 'whew, I'm done!', knowing that you still have cleanup to do? Same deal here. I hadn't really thought about the 'other stuff'.. I just knew that the main thing was taken care of. And indeed, her trunk was still open, she shut it on the way back to her car after insulting me by trying to hand me a few wrinkled dollar bills..

2. She left these on the side of the road, she SAW (I assume) them sitting on the road.. They were right next to me, right behind the car, and she had to walk around them to get to where I was... (passenger side rear tire).

3. I'm not going to just LEAVE them on the side of the road, they presented a road hazard, I'd be negligent in leaving them there. I couldn't leave them on the sidewalk, so the only logical thing to do would be to dispose of them properly, since the owner had abandoned the property..

I didn't do it out of revenge, I'm still a nice guy, heh... I did it out of necessity, you can't just LEAVE it there, wasn't my mess, but I didn't want someone ELSE running into it...

Pointman

imported post

Weenie: OMG that's funny! Thanks for helping her not litter too!