Thread: OC on the Metro?

Post imported post

A question for anyone who lives up on the outskirts of DC: Assuming I don't cross over into the city itself, what are the rules / laws pertaining to carrying on the Metro system? If I wanted to take the Metrobus or Metro Rail from Fairfax over to Falls Church on the orange line, would I be able to OC while doing it?

Thanks in advance,

NetRangerM

Post imported post

NetRangerM wrote:
    A question for anyone who lives up on the outskirts of DC: Assuming I don't cross over into the city itself, what are the rules / laws pertaining to carrying on the Metro system? If I wanted to take the Metrobus or Metro Rail from Fairfax over to Falls Church on the orange line, would I be able to OC while doing it?

I have carried while riding the Metro (in VA) several times and never had a problem. I have found that half the battle is dressing appropriately.

As a general rule, I also avoid OC during peak rush hours periods when I'll be standing in very close quarters with too many people to feel comfortable about holster retention.

Post imported post

I asked this question and based on the best information available, metro "assumes" the laws of the local it is operating in. Hence, we came to the conclusion that you were pretty much ok to carry anywhere on Metro in VA.

The EXCEPTION would be not to exit at Arlington National Cemetery or the Pentagon.

fryfrye

Post imported post

Cool, Thanks for the advice guys. I couldn't find anything that prohibited carry, so was thinking it would be OK. Glad to hear that it hasn't caused issues for those of you who have done so.

Thanks again,

NetRangerM

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

If you do that, you better be very sure not to miss your stop!

Post imported post

Heck, if you're just staying in Virginia, there aren't too many places worth riding the Metro to, so I've never worried about this question.

I guess if I wanted to shop at Pentagon City but wanted to park closer to home it might make sense...most of the time there's no place around here I can't drive to quicker and for a lot less money.

Post imported post

King St. station is a great place to get off at and walk down to Old Town Alexandria on a Fri or Sat night

Post imported post

NetRangerM wrote:

Thanks in advance,

NetRangerM
    There as been several dicussions here, but I cannot find them in searching. I will search my local documents. I have a note from a Metro person stating they it would be best to CC, but they enforce laws based on where they are.

Before my requirements changed, I OC on VA metro lines often. Never had a problem. Except for a few other riders.

Post imported post

dixiehacker wrote:
    If you do that, you better be very sure not to miss your stop!
    Now here is a "what if" for you. Lets say you had a handgun in a case for transportation. What if you started in VA and were going to end up in MD.

Is your transportation through DC legal under the federal "firearm transportation" laws?

Post imported post

possumboy wrote:
    Never had a problem. Except for a few other riders.
    Oh, come on man. You just going to leave us hanging? Please tell us in some detail about your interactions with these pasengrs.-Jay

Post imported post

NetRangerM wrote:

Thanks in advance,

NetRangerM

Legally? Yes.

I always CC on the metro because:
    a) I'm uneasy about retention with the close quarters,
    b) Metro police are reknowned for being obnoxious (Chewing your last bite of a candy bar on the way through the turnstyle? That's a ticketing.),
    c) You may have people from MD and DC sitting near you (Like seeing people panic?).

Post imported post

nickerj1 wrote:
    NetRangerM wrote:

Thanks in advance,

NetRangerM

Legally? Yes.

I always CC on the metro because:
    a) I'm uneasy about retention with the close quarters,
    b) Metro police are reknowned for being obnoxious (Chewing your last bite of a candy bar on the way through the turnstyle? That's a ticketing.),
    c) You may have people from MD and DC sitting near you (Like seeing people panic?).
    a) Retention is easily handled, but a good reason to CC if you are worried about it.

b) There is a lot more to the story than just chewing the last bite of candy bar. The woman told the officer who politely told her about the no eating policy to F off and then continued eating. It wasn't a case of someone just graping the last bite. Of course you don't see that side because it is a better media story. Kinda like the media not reporting all the defensive uses of firearms.

The arrest of the school girl for fries was more to discourage them from going other places besides the metro to and from school which is the policy of the school and they had the parents support - who were unaware of the area that the girl was going to.

c) If you worry about reactions of people, OC in VA. You get the same things, just in VA, police are not supposed to arrest you or harass you over OC.