• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about purchasing a pistol?

Jones_Jon

imported post

I know I cant buy one in NC but i was looking over some of VA's laws and I was wondering if I would be able to go to VA to purchase one or would I have to show like proof of residence or something like that?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Sa45auto wrote:
You wait until you are 21 and then buy one where you live.
You can legally own a handgun as long as you're over 18. Why wait?

Jones_Jon

imported post

Well I have no way of buying one in NC becuase im 18 with no parents to get it for me. So I was wondering if I could do this.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Jones_Jon wrote:
Well I have no way of buying one in NC becuase im 18 with no parents to get it for me. So I was wondering if I could do this.

Yeah, I know, I'm trying to figure that out as well. Have you tried contacting your county's sheriff's department and ask? Normally I wouldn't suggest asking LEO's about gun laws, but since they issue the purchase permits, they may know something.

All I know for sure is that in NC,the only law that restricts firearm ownership by age refers only to those under 18. I was also wondering if one needs to be a resident of VA in order to purchase a firearm in VA, or if, as a NC resident, you must follow NC rules even though you're out outside of the state.

Why don't we all do some more searching and share what we come up with?

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

From the Virginia State Police web site:

What is the legal age to purchase or possess a firearm?
A person must be at least 18 years of age to purchase a rifle or shotgun. To purchase a handgun from a licensed firearms dealer, you must be at least 21 years of age, pursuant to federal law. For statutory regulations concerning underage persons possessing firearms, refer to Virginia Code §18.2-308.7, possession or transportation of certain firearms by persons under the age of eighteen.

And of course, it cites federal law which does set the nationwide minimum age limits for purchase.

So, take advantage of the gun show "loophole" and purchase a handgun at one of the many gun shows in Virginia from a private party. This is neither a violation of state law (18 to possess) nor federal law (21 to purchase from a LICENSED FIREARMS DEALER).

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

timf343 wrote:
From the Virginia State Police web site:

What is the legal age to purchase or possess a firearm?
A person must be at least 18 years of age to purchase a rifle or shotgun. To purchase a handgun from a licensed firearms dealer, you must be at least 21 years of age, pursuant to federal law. For statutory regulations concerning underage persons possessing firearms, refer to Virginia Code §18.2-308.7, possession or transportation of certain firearms by persons under the age of eighteen.

And of course, it cites federal law which does set the nationwide minimum age limits for purchase.

So, take advantage of the gun show "loophole" and purchase a handgun at one of the many gun shows in Virginia from a private party. This is neither a violation of state law (18 to possess) nor federal law (21 to purchase from a LICENSED FIREARMS DEALER).
Well lets say I have purchased a handgun from a FFL dealer here in NC, so it is registered to me. Then I head up to VA on vacation, and run into someone interested in purchasing my firearm through a private sale. Now, they just happen to be a resident of NC. Does this private sale fall under VA law since that's the state we're in, or NC law since that's where we reside?

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Interesting question. IANAL nor a resident of either state, so it I can't give any kind of good answer to this.

But my knee-jerk is that this would fall under interstate commerce (I am free to conduct business with any citizen anywhere in the country, even if it's my neighbor and we're 1000 miles from home).

On the other hand, fraud comes to mind if you and I both agree to leave the state solely to conduct said transaction to avoid complying with some law by trying to hide it. But for this, you'd need to talk to a lawyer.

People come here to Las Vegas just to get married, because of more lenient laws -- no blood tests, waiting periods, etc. And for the same reason, come here for uncontested divorces (quicker, cheaper, more easily granted). This of course violates no law, despite the fact that those people left their home state to conduct a transaction under different laws than they would be subject to at home.

Tim

Jones_Jon

imported post

Ok I got another question about this, could I legally get one from a aunt or uncle out of state as like a gift?? The state would be ohio just to make that clear.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Jones_Jon wrote:
Ok I got another question about this, could I legally get one from a aunt or uncle out of state as like a gift?? The state would be ohio just to make that clear.

It would seem that this would be legal (private sales are legal in Ohio according to the OCDO map),like with the earlier example that heading to Las Vegas to get married is legal.

I'm going to give the Sheriff's office a call right now and try to clear some of these things up. I'll post what I find out.

burninsteeda04 wrote:
depends on there statutes. contact atf
This answer was useless. It wasn't even an answer. :?

burninsteeda04

imported post

Was not useless it was vague lol. What im saying is I would locate the state statutes of ohio. If private sales are legal do it. And also I would contact the ATF although sometimes they are very slow. I would also ask the ohio chapter on this website they may know better.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ok, here is the word from the Craven County Sheriff's office. The pistol purchase permit requirement applies only to transactions that occur within the State of North Carolina. If you were to travel to a different State, only the laws of that State would apply, regardless of where you reside. Also, you can not purchase a handgun in North Carolina if you are under 21, period (since you cannot get a purchase permit). They did clarify, however, that you must only be over 18 to possess.

Example 1: Jon is 23 years old, a resident of North Carolina,and legally able to purchase and possess ahandgun under federal law. He travels to Ohio, where private sales between individualsare legal. He can buy a handgun under Ohio law. When he comes back to North Carolina, he is simply under the possession of a handgun, and North Carolina's laws of possession take effect.

Example 2: Sarah is 19 years old, a resident of North Carolina, and can legally possess a handgun under federal law. Sarah cannot purchase a handgun in North Carolina, since she is not 21 or older. So, Sarah travels to Virginia, where private sales between individuals over 18 are legal. She can buy a handgun under Virginia State law. When she comes back to North Carolina, she is simply under the possession of a handgun, which is legal under North Carolina State law.

So there ya go. Keep in mind, I am not a lawyer. This is simply my unprofessionalinterpretation of the law, including what I was told by the Sheriff's office. :D