• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Wife's a Nine

Pointman

imported post

Heard this somewhere and thought I'd repeat it:

My wife just got back from a trip to Chicago, IL. I worry about her when she's out of town, and hate spending nights without her. When she walked in I got a long hug, and the conversation went something like this:

Me: Get mugged?
Her: Nope. So I mugged a random stranger.
Me: Seems popular.
Her: It's all the rage.

Of course, we were kidding. She went to visit a petite friend who's political views lean to the left, in part because my wife drives a truck and the friend doesn't have a vehicle, and lefty friends always mooch off friends with trucks--it's the way of the world. My wife is 5' 10" and works out five days a week, and bench presses quite a rack (of plates). Her friend is one of those 98 lb. soaking-wet things.

The area the friend lives in is a better suburb of Chicago, but is still a high-crime area, and at least one of the shootings was detailed on OpenCarry.org. It got me thinking about what my wife said earlier this week about keeping a loaded gun with us at night, and I realized her left-leaning friend is the one who needs to protect herself much more than we do. We have a dog, she has a cat. We're big people, she's not. We have almost zero crime, she's not so fortunate.

That got me thinking, could her friend shoot a gun if she had to, under stress, with little time to react? My wife consistently shoots in the nine ring, sometimes 7 or 8, sometimes 10 or X. Does it matter? My wife is married, her friend is desperately single. Maybe in a small way it does.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Chicago suburb. Female. Single. Left-leaning. I'm thinking that protecting herself probably has never occured to her and any suggesetion that she has such an obligation or right would be met with an incredulous position that it is the role of the city and state to do so.

ETA: Your wife sounds like a "keeper" from the Foster's commercials.

FightingGlock19

imported post

shooting at a paper target is nowhere near a reflection of how one would react in a real-world self-defence scenerio.

Under duress, there's a whole plethora of changes to the mind and body due to the release of adrenelin which can really **** some people up.

bohdi

imported post

I know what you mean. I was playing Texas Hold em in vegas one night, a friend of mine was at the table. I had pocket Aces, another turned up on the flop. A fourth in the next card, and nothing on the fifth. I had a four of a kind and ran the pot up, giving my buddy an out each time before raising and re-raising to scare everyone else out. My hands were shaking so bad at the last toss in of the coins because I knew I had him beat. I had wiped him out. It's something that I've tried to control but without constant practice I imagine that people experience the same things under duress like having to pull their weapons, or maybe not. Maybe at that moment you experience relative calm. Hopefully I will never have to post which way it was for me.