• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Walk in Urbana, Ohio.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

Note: I have updated my posts to reflect 2010.

A Buddy and I were talking yesterday. April 19th is Patriots' Day, and he was thinking of putting together an "Open Carry Walk" on Saturday, April 17th in downtown Urbana, Ohioon that day. Anyone else interested in participating?

We will contact the Urbana PD and Champaign County SO beforehand to let them know about it. The starting time will be 10:00 AM. A starting location has yet to be decided on. Afterwards we were thinking of having a party/celebration of sorts.

Michael
Champaign County, Ohio
magcraft@windstream.net

Ohio Patriot

imported post

More Info:

What: Open Carry Walk.

When: Two days before Patriots' Day - Saturday, April 17th, 2010. Rally time is 10:00 AM.

Where: Urbana, Ohio. Rally point is the parking lot next to the fire station located at 107 E. Market St. This fire station is adjacent to the Municipal Court building (SE corner of S. Main and Market). Here are the coordinates (copy and paste into Google maps):

40.106536,-83.751343

Why: To celebrate our liberties.

Duration: 1 to 2 hours.

Walk Route: TBD.

Additional Info: This is a walk to celebrate our liberties, particularly our right to keep and bear arms. Participants are welcome to carry concealed (license required) or openly in a holster (no license required). The organizers will have handouts for curious citizens. Please feel free to also bring your own handouts. In addition, we are in the process of informing the Urbana PD and Champaign County SO of our walk.

Contact Info: Tom (937-869-8095, thomashorch@mac.com) or Michael (937-663-0783, magcraft@windstream.net).

Rules During the Walk:

1. You will obey all laws.

2. Unless your life is threatened, you will not remove your handgun from your holster for any reason during the walk. This means no "playing with," "handling," or "showing off" your handgun during the walk. Keep it in the holster.

3. You can also open carry a long gun as long as it isn't loaded.

4. You will be peaceful and civil at all times.

5. You will obey all lawful commands from peace officers.

6. Whether you know it or not, your actions and words will reflect negatively or positively on all gun owners, so choose them wisely during the walk.

7. Treat curious citizens with courtesy and respect. Even those that have an opposing viewpoint. While it's certainly acceptable for you to stick up for your rights, we also ask that you do it in the most civil manner possible, regardless of how the "other side" may act. In other words, leave the macho attitude & loud rhetoric at home.

Afterwards?

We'll likely get lunch at a local establishment. After lunch, participants are welcome to come over to my place for some shooting. (I live approx. 20 minutes west of Urbana on 15 acres and have a small range.)

Ohio Patriot

imported post

UrbanaDailyCitizen-OpenCarryWalk-2.jpg

v8shoguy

imported post

Looks like I have Saturday off :) I'll try to convince my wife that I need to go. Is locked in the "trunk" of the motorcycle legit for transit in OH? Done it before but don't want to get caught up when all eyes are on us.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

Depends if you have a CCW license or not. This is because the CCW law changed everything due to the "ready at hand" clause in the law. More here:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum43/5590.html

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?p=225375

If you don't have a CCW license, I would separate the ammo & gun as much as possible, open the action, and even remove & separate the bolt if you can. In other words, do whatever you can to ensure the weapon is not "ready at hand."

Ohio Patriot

imported post

When it comes to OC, it is legal because there's no law that say's it's illegal. (As a general rule, if it doesn't say you can't, then you can.)

There are limits, however:

-You obviously can't OC if you’re prohibited by law from possessing a gun (e.g. felon).
-You can't OC in a school or in a publicly-owned building.
-If you don't have a CCW license, you can't OC in your car.

And then there are the grey areas:

-You probably shouldn't OC anywhere CC is not welcome (such as a posted CPZ).
-You probably shouldn't OC within 1000 feet of a school. (I checked, and we will not be within 1000 feet of any school during our walk.)

v8shoguy

imported post

Looks like I'm there for sure. Will bring a friend for sure, and the wife may be participating as well.

v8shoguy

imported post

Ohio Patriot wrote:
-You probably shouldn't OC anywhere CC is not welcome (such as a posted CPZ).
-You probably shouldn't OC within 1000 feet of a school. (I checked, and we will not be within 1000 feet of any school during our walk.)
As I understood it, the 1000 ft rule only applied to criminal acts perpetrated within that range. OC isn't criminal, so no problem, right? Ohio's definition of a school area is the physical property that the school is on. The reason that I mention this is because if I decided to OC into town, I would have to a) walk within 1000 ft of a school, or b) walk 5 miles out of my way. Do daycare centers count as schools? If they do, there's no OCing into town (if the 1000ft rule actually applies). I would be pissed if my rights were taken just because I lived within that area.

Legba

imported post

As I understand it - I may be wrong- the "school zone" thing applies to having a gun at all within the zone, the exceptions being private property or having one properly secured in a vehicle, with some weird "safe conduct" exemption for hunters. So - if you live next door, you can still have a gun in your apartment, but I wouldn't walk on public property within 1000'of a school with one strapped on. AFAIK, day care centers are not "schools" within the legal definition.

-ljp

v8shoguy

imported post

I'd say it was a success. 14 people showed up, several of which were women. All ages as well. And if I got my facts straight, we even got an older gentleman on the street to OC :) I'm sure that more details will be posted later.