• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Walk in Urbana, Ohio.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

Standing outside The Depot Coffee Shop in Urbana:

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Eating lunch at the Family Table restaurant in Urbana:

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

Ohio Patriot

imported post

Blog:

http://patriotsdaywalk.blogspot.com/

Patriots' Day Open Carry Walk

A Celebration of Freedom!

The 1st Annual Patriots' Day Walk was held on April 19th, 2008 in Urbana, Ohio.This event was a celebration of freedom to commemorate the 233rd anniversary of "The shot heard round the world". On April 18th, 1775 Governor Gage ordered the redcoats to march into towns and seize and destroy all munitions. On April 19th, 1775 the first shots were fired that would be the beginning of our countries fight for Independence and would insure our rights to bear arms.

This local event was organized to exercise our rights and to bring awareness to the community of the legality of "open carry." The walk was held in downtown Urbana and the event participants walked about 3 miles of the downtown area. There were many people driving by and staring and a few people even pulled over and asked about the event. A number of informational flyers were handed out to all who asked about the event. All in all it was a very positive experience. The weather couldn't have cooperated any better and law enforcement was friendly and smiled when driving by. One well wisher came by at the gathering point to wish us well but was unable to attend.

As we headed toward the square at the center of town we came upon an elderly gentleman who was there in support but was unable to march. He stood at that corner the entire time the group marched. He even handed out flyers to people who approached him with questions about the event. This gentleman was a Korean War Vet and we were deeply touched that he came and supported us the best way he could.

We made a stop at The Depot, a local coffee shop for a restroom break and to fuel up on water and coffee. The workers were very friendly and welcoming. A few customers seemed a bit startled but there was no major commotion. One woman entered The Depot while everyone was inside and said out loud, "Oh no, I think I'll leave," and quickly exited the parking lot. No other negative comments were made.

After gathering for a group picture in front (several members had joined in after the walk began) we headed back up Miami Street. As we rounded the corner and headed up North main St. a truck pulled over and asked what we were doing. It was explained what the event was about and the feedback was very positive. We ended the walk with a stop at The Family Table restaurant before parting ways. The waitress who greeted us as we entered was very friendly and was eager to hear all about the event. While we were there one gentleman approached us and said he was interested in the march but was a little unsure so he watched us march. He sat with us and discussed his confusion on some of the laws. After a lengthy discussion he assured us he would join us during next year's event. Also, during our meal we noticed one guy leave the establishment and return with a pistol strapped on in support. Pretty cool.

We would like to thank Tom Horch and Michael Craft for helping organize this year's event. There were participants from several areas of Ohio. We would like to acknowledge all participants for making this event a success. From Springfield we had Randy, Amber and Daniel, and Rob & his two sons. From Cincinnati we had Jeff, from Englewood we had Kent, Alan & Lana came from Oxford, and Paul from Columbus. Tom Horch brought along his daughter Christy and his wife Aileen videotaped and photographed the event. I am sorry I didn't catch the old timer's name on the corner but a special thanks to him.

We would also like to thank the city of Urbana, the Urbana Police Department, the dispatcher who surely had to field a few calls from startled passers-by, The Depot, and the Family Table restaurant for welcoming us warmly and those who stopped to share their support.

Hippy Chick

imported post

We are still working on the website but I've added some more pictures. Trying to figure out how to work imovie. Once that is figured out I'll be posting the video of the event.
If you have a favorite website please send us the links so I can add them to the blog. the contact info is listed right on the blog.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

Get ready for the 2nd Annual Patriots' Day Walk!!

When: Saturday April 18th

Where: Downtown Urbana, Ohio.

Why: To celebrate freedom and exercise the right to keep and bear arms.

Saturday April 18th is the anniversary of Paul Revere's and William Dawes' ride, and Sunday April 19th (Patriots' Day) is the 234th anniversary of the "shot heard 'round the world" when American patriots stood up against the British army at the battles of Lexington and Concord and fought our initial fight for liberty and independence.

The British army was under orders from General Thomas Gage to confiscate arms and munitions. The Minutemen and Colonial Militia were prepared to give it to them, just not in the way they expected:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriots%27_Day
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_Lexington_and_Concord
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minutemen_(militia)

Last year's "open carry" walk was fun and inspiring and will be expanded this year with the inclusion of long guns. All long guns will be inspected prior to walk and must be unloaded with detachable magazines removed and be equipped with open bolt / open chamber indicator flags. A flag will be supplied to anyone who needs it. A carry strap or sling is highly recommended. Long gun muzzle must be pointed straight up or straight down at all times. NO MUZZLE WAIVING… PERIOD!! And unless your life is threatened, your handgun must remain holstered at all times.

Anyone who wishes to walk with us is welcome. Some will walk with us in solidarity unarmed. You do not need a firearm to walk.

Last year's walk:

http://www.patriotsdaywalk.blogspot.com/

We will meet behind the Urbana Municipal Building in the lot adjacent to the Fire and Police departments Between 10:00 and 10:30 AM, Saturday April 18th. The walk will take place in the downtown area and last for approximately 1 to 1½ hours.

After the walk is completed we will likely meet somewhere to eat lunch. Depending on the weather, a get-together may occur after lunch for those who wish to shoot and socialize.

Email me at magcraft@windstream.net if you have any questions.

Michael

imported post

I had a question. Why are we responsible enough to carry pistols loaded but we are not responsible enough to carry a loaded rifle and we need open bolt/champer indicater flags? This seems childish to me.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

Because a handgun is primarily a defensive weapon, and a long gun is primarily an offensive weapon. When you carry a loaded long gun, it means you are going to a fight. If you're not going to a fight, then you shouldn't be carrying a loaded long gun.

imported post

So when the founders said, "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" they were only talking about defensive weapons/pistols? You have just as much of a right to carry a pistol as you do a long gun.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

Look, you're not going to find a bigger supporter for our right to keep and bear arms than me. But loaded long guns will not be allowed on this walk unless you're going to a fight.

I really don't care if you carry a loaded long gun before or after the walk. But during the walk, all long guns will be unloaded.

imported post

Respectfully Ohio Patriot,

I appreciate you organizing this event. I wanted to know under what authority am I prohibited from carrying a loaded rifle at this event? Will the event be taking place on public or private property? If this event will be taking place on public property, I will be carrying loaded in a safe manner.

freedom_fighter777

Ohio Patriot

imported post

This is an organized event, and the organizers have promised the Champaign County Sheriff and the Urbana PD that certain rules (of our own making) will be followed. Anyone who can't follow the rules will be told to walk on their own.

Disturbances will not betolerated. Participants will either follow the rules or not walk with us.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

Third Annual Open Carry Walk in Urbana, Ohio!

What:
Open Carry Walk.

When: Two days before Patriots' Day - Saturday, April 17th, 2010. Rally time is 10:00 AM.

Where: Urbana, Ohio. Rally point is the parking lot next to the fire station located at 107 E. Market St. This fire station is adjacent to the Municipal Court building (SE corner of S. Main and Market). Here are the coordinates (copy and paste into Google maps - rally point is at the green arrow):

40.106536,-83.751343

Why: To celebrate our liberties.

Duration: 1 to 2 hours.

Walk Route: TBD.

Additional Info: This is a walk to celebrate our liberties, particularly our right to keep and bear arms. Participants are welcome to carry concealed (license required) or openly in a holster (no license required). The organizers will have handouts for curious citizens. Please feel free to also bring your own handouts. In addition, we are in the process of informing the Urbana PD and Champaign County SO of our walk.

Contact Info: Tom (937-869-8095, thomashorch@mac.com) or Michael (937-663-0783, magcraft@windstream.net).

Rules During the Walk:

1. You will obey all laws.

2. Unless your life is threatened, you will not remove your handgun from your holster for any reason during the walk. This means no "playing with," "handling," or "showing off" your handgun during the walk. Keep it in the holster.

3. You can also open carry a long gun as long as it isn't loaded.

4. You will be peaceful and civil at all times.

5. You will obey all lawful commands from peace officers.

6. Whether you know it or not, your actions and words will reflect negatively or positively on all gun owners, so choose them wisely during the walk.

7. Treat curious citizens with courtesy and respect. Even those that have an opposing viewpoint. While it's certainly acceptable for you to stick up for your rights, we also ask that you do it in the most civil manner possible, regardless of how the "other side" may act. In other words, leave the macho attitude & loud rhetoric at home.

Afterwards?

We'll likely get lunch at a local establishment. After lunch, participants are welcome to come over to my place for some shooting. (I live approx. 20 minutes west of Urbana on 15 acres and have a small range.)

imported post

Awsome it's back around to that time of year been looking forward to this.

I hope to see new faces this year as well as old faces from last year.

Come support and be a part of your rights.

imported post

Freedom_Fighter777 has been banned.

This should be seen as a learning exercise. The things to learn are:

1) We believe in allowing disagreement. If he had used the word cowards instead of the slur he used, I would have said nothing.

2) We are working very hard to enforce our rules and such hateful slurs will not be tolerated!

John

This is an open carry walk celebrating freedom and you are imposing new gun regulations on us. You guys are a bunch of f@ggets and are a disgrace to the movement.