• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Control Debate at Bridgewater College

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I can't think of anyplace where there would be more resistance by the Administration.:shock:

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I can't think of anyplace where there would be more resistance by the Administration.:shock:
Why is that? Because they're Church of the Brethren?

From Wiki:

Despite the church's official peace stance there are many members of the Church of the Brethren that do not agree with pacifism. This was made particularly evident when, during the Second World War 80% of the men in the Church of the Brethren entered active duty in the military. Another 10% served as noncombatants in the military with only 10% taking Conscientious objector status.

Maybe they're coming around to our way of thinking :^)? From my experience they are a good group of people, some of my cousins (Bahamas) belong to this group.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Why is that? Because they're Church of the Brethren?

From Wiki:

Despite the church's official peace stance there are many members of the Church of the Brethren that do not agree with pacifism. This was made particularly evident when, during the Second World War 80% of the men in the Church of the Brethren entered active duty in the military. Another 10% served as noncombatants in the military with only 10% taking Conscientious objector status.

Maybe they're coming around to our way of thinking :^)? From my experience they are a good group of people, some of my cousins (Bahamas) belong to this group.
A lot of reasons really.
The Brethren are very left wing in that area. The school itself has always been very anti gun. A lot of the old time anti's like Nelson Huffman are dead but their legacy lives on.

The entire area is influenced by the Mennonite church as well. They are not anti gun but are very anti violence,

The old folks home across the street puts a lot of pressure on the College (remember, it's a small town and everything is connected)

Town Council quietly resists any loosening of carry in the school.

Even though the town is at the foot of the mountains where everybody used to carry, it's morphed into a spruce yuppie area. The college had more to do with that than anything else. This is also true of Harrisonburg with JMU and Charlottesville.

While Bridgewater has very little crime and shootings are rare, when they happen, they are violent.

A year or so ago, one of the Gratten boys went nuts and opened up on a car coming out of it's driveway. The driver and I believe the passenger died. Of course, it was the guns fault (Even though the Grattens have always been crazy) The driver was a very well liked doctor.

One of the towns police officers was murdered by a fellow named Pope whom had been arrested for DWI earlier. Pope went to the officers mothers house, caused a commotion and then hid in the bushes. When the officer came over, he was shot point blank in the head with a 12 ga. Wasn't pretty.

This happened just before he was to be married to a BC Alumni. She sent the thank you for coming to the funeral...cards on the wedding announcments.

These and a few other incidents have caused a lot of subtle anti gun feelings with the townspeople.

The town has a very good police chief but I'm sure he will advise the town with what they want to hear.

Small towns and small town schools can be tough.

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Sounds like you're from that area. I was a little bit of a troubled youth in HS. My councelor suggested I go to BC after I graduated. I couldn't figure out why in the world she would suggest that school until years later when I realized it was a Christian college. I've always wondered if she was Brethren. As far as being left wing I think that's only some groups that would call thems selves Brethren. My cousins for instance are anything but liberal. But then I really haven't talked to them at length about their beliefs.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
peter nap wrote:
I was a little bit of a troubled youth in HS. My councelor suggested I go to BC after I graduated.
I used to fight a lot. I had to go to Military school.....Boy, that solved the problem:p:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: