• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time OC and Hasseld in Union County NC

burninsteeda04

imported post

First time today i decided to open carry. I went to gas station bought a lottery ticket lady commented on what i nice peice i had and she showed me hers that she had under the counter, cool cool . So i decided i wanted some new cd. So i go to Best Buy in monroe nc figure this county is real oc friendly no problems. I check the doors no Sign stating no firearms, Walk in say hey to the security guy, walk around couple people notice no big deal find my cd. So i go to pay and all the associates are around and you can tell there like woah that dude has a gun. So I pay tell the lady have a nice day. Walk towards the security gaurd and

he stops me and he says sir Im going to have to ask you to leave" as if i wasnt already headed out the door".

Me: Why must i leave did i do something wrong.

Him: You violated our policy no firearms.

Me: Well sir in the State of NC you are legally allowed to OC and you did not have a sign posted that stipulated no firearms.

Him: well sir its our company policy and its stated in our handbook.

Me: well sir that company policy you speak of it applys to company employees that is why its called company policy and its in your hand book not mine.

Him: well what do you need a gun for.

Me: well sir i value my safety, and I am abiding by the law.

Him: well sir you need to leave, Because i have other things i must attend too.

Me thinking to my self this is my 1st day, better not push it to much, I guess i will leave and try it another day, Any advice on how to handle this jerk off.

I didnt think to get a manager, so idk how that would have played out. Im 20 by the way so maybe police wouldnt like that too much.

Godscreation

imported post

I'm 22 and live in Huntersville (Mecklemburg County) and I haven't got my glock 19 yet, but this is what I would have done, cuz I'm going to OC in a couple of weeks.

When he said it is company policy, politely inquire as to why it was not posted on the doors. Also if he says it's in the handbook, and you are feeling bold and patriotic, ask to see the book. if it is truly company policy, apologize and don't bring your gun in, (or just CC:) ). If you are like me and new to OC, and he says it's in the policy book, you might just say, "Oh, well I didn't see it posted on the doors so I assumed it was OK." Then leave and let the Vet. OCer's handle that store to blaze the trail for us newbies!:cool:

burninsteeda04

imported post

Thing is is i told him that there was no sign or i would not have done that. It pissed me off but i figured dont give in. I know he felt like he knew everything. but oh well. He asked me to leave that I would do. Looks like Best buy will no longer get my buisness. Off to circuit city. anyways. I hope some of our vets will go to best buy in monroe nc and educate best buys employees

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I'm sorry you got some negative attention, but eh it happens. I wouldn't shut Best Buy out completely. I spent 2 hours in the Best Buy in Morehead City openly carrying while we tried to figure out what type of memory my computer needed and searched for a 360 game that was in the system but not on the shelf. The only comment ever made was an employee asking that I not shoot him if they couldn't find the game :). He was smiling, of course.

It sounds like you dealt with things accordingly. For future reference (for you and anyone else reading), if someone tells you their company is anti-gun after you've paid for something, a good response is to say "That's fine, I'll leave as soon as I return this stuff, since I'm not going to give you my business if you're gonna kick me out of your store."

Also, as Godscreation said, asking for things in writing also trips them up and weeds out the misinformed,as well asthose with personal agendas. That's what I did in the local Wal-Mart, and he quickly realized (and admitted)that he was wrong.

burninsteeda04

imported post

I just dont want to be arrested for sum bogus charge and have my gun confinscated by leo. I will just go to a diffrent best buy. It just put a damper on wanting to oc. But maybe i can go stealth in to it next time. But for future carrying events i will ask to speak to a manager or a district manager. To confirm it. Hopefully this wont be an experiance i have to deal with often.

pipeman

imported post

The next time you get the urge to express the 2nd let me know I live right here in Monroe and I can show you a few places that could care less. As for the security guard at Best Buy, you handled yourself just fine but I'd like to see his reaction to 2 people who know the law better than he does.

burninsteeda04

imported post

yeh let me know what places you have found to be friendly. I will go back to best buy. But I dont know the law completely i have a good understanding that it is legal and that i can do that. 'But i will request to speak with a store manager or a district manager,its a young guy not to bright. but i would love to see people oc in there.

pipeman

imported post

I'm off today thanks to the rain (one of constructions perks) and will be out and about. I'm gonna make it a point to go by there and do some shopping,gonna be leaving shortly any takers on a "shopping" :cool:trip.

burninsteeda04

imported post

It will be your luck that you get buy with no hassles. I am in Cullowhee nc furthering my education. . . But i know how construction is My father owns a paving company and so anytime it rains i get a day off. Which means i dont get paid much. So i hate rain droughts are good. :cool: Anyways let me know How that goes for you wish you the best of luck in setting them straight.

burninsteeda04

imported post

I think this summer we all need to go out for lunch and then to the range. It would be nice to see more open carry'ers out in Union County.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Wish i could go today, but my office is in the Coliseum area (yup, traffic is a bitch both ways). I'm up for a lunch/range trip with advanced notice. I'll be at firepower Matthews this Wednesday again.

Steed: Does your old man do brick pavers? Does he do the concrete with the stamping to make it look like stone? IM me a response with his contact info if he can help me in this area. I may be interested in fixing up my yard.

burninsteeda04

imported post

He doesnt do brick pavers sadly but i think he knows a guy that does brick pavers and pretty elaborate ones at that. I will get back to you on this one. And give you some contact information.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

I'm not from NC; however, unless stores are required to post a sign to ban weapons from their store, it is still their property and you can be asked to leave at any time for almost anything. That being said, you handled it just fine -- you made them aware that it's an EMPLOYEE policy, not a customer policy... I'd probably drop a note to Best Buy corporate, give them the spiel that you're a law-abiding citizen peaceable carrying a firearm for your own protection and you were asked to leave, bla bla bla.

I'm not sure of Best Buy's stance on this, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

The bottom line is, unless law requires them to post a sign to keep you out, if you're asked to leave, leave as quickly as you can, otherwise you can be charged with trespassing.

pipeman

imported post

Well I made it in, around, and out of the store without so much as ablink from any employees! I figured someone would notice seeing how I browsed every aisle of the store and was in there for nearly 30 minutes. As soon as I reached my car I gave the store a call and spoke to one of the managers. He said he was unaware of any store policy that prohibited customers from having a handgun on the property and referred me to their consumer relations dept.:banghead:After I was placed on hold twice and disconnected once I got to speak with someone and asked them if there was such a policy on record. This got me the hold button again:banghead::banghead::banghead:. After nearly five minutes of searching his files the rep told me that their policy is that if it is legal in the state the store is located in that it was not against store policy as long as no one was feeling threatened. I gave this rep the managers name I spoke with, Patrick, and asked that this information be passed along to him and the rest of this stores management. So guess what.......I went back a second time about an hour ago and browsed the store again, still no reaction and they were crowded. Steeda, I think you just got the wrong one at the wrong time. Although it does say in the employees handbookthat no EMPLOYEE may possess a weapon on store property, we can carry all day long:monkey.

burninsteeda04

imported post

Well damn ha that puts a smile on my face. 1 for the team yeah. I should have asked the security gaurd to speak with a manager and so fourth. I will open carry in there next time i am home. I want to say thank you very much for being well versed on this subject and making it a point to educate those who think they know but dont know. I will have that security gaurds ass next time hahaha jk But i will be oc very soon in there store.

pipeman

imported post

I carry most everywhere I go around here, although sometimes I have been known to leave it in the car. My wife is starting to ease off on the issue as she gets used to it but she still doesn't like me carrying in stores when we are together. I never really had any problems other than the occasional idiot who wants to show me just how stupid they are. BTW what do you carry? I carry small in big stores or crowds like today I had my PT145Pro in a fobus paddle holster, but I have been known to venture out with the ol Taurus 65 .357 hangin off my belt.:what:Now that thing is an attention grabber..........maybe to BB with the revolver?

burninsteeda04

imported post

I carry an ar-15. HA jk that would be a sight. No i carry a SA XD 9mm Sub compact in the belt holster it comes with its black and Im 20 years old i stand out a little bit more than some of our vetrans but im always in a pair of well fitted jeans NOT HANGIN OFF MY ASS idk how some of these kids do that. And in a collard shirt, I dont want to look like a criminal at my age.