Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Age to Open Carry in Ohio

  1. #1
    Administrator John Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bristol, VA
    Posts
    1,735

    Post imported post

    We currently have the minimum age to Open Carry in Ohio set to 18. However, in response to a question from the press, I have went back to review the code and in looking at the Ohio Revised Code (ORS) section which governs the minimum age for purchase and possession of a handgun at Chapter 29 Section 2923.21 which is viewable
    at ( http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.21 ), it seems that 21 is the age at which a handgun may be possessed for "self-defense".

    Can any of our Ohio members weigh in on this question?

    Thanks!



    John


  2. #2
    Regular Member reefteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    511

    Post imported post

    I PMed mike about this when the map was made. Here is the response:
    You bring up interesting points, but the 18-20 year old receiver of the handgun wuold not break any Ohio law by receiving a handgun.

    Moreover, consider this hypo: an 18-20 year old woman owns a handgun in Pennsylvania. The woman is accepted to a college in Ohio, and moves to Ohio with the handgun. Police see woman open carrying in the streets of Dayton on foot.

    Have any Ohio laws been broken? No.

  3. #3
    Administrator John Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bristol, VA
    Posts
    1,735

    Post imported post

    reefteach wrote:
    I PMed mike about this when the map was made. Here is the response:
    You bring up interesting points, but the 18-20 year old receiver of the handgun wuold not break any Ohio law by receiving a handgun.

    Moreover, consider this hypo: an 18-20 year old woman owns a handgun in Pennsylvania. The woman is accepted to a college in Ohio, and moves to Ohio with the handgun. Police see woman open carrying in the streets of Dayton on foot.

    Have any Ohio laws been broken? No.
    Thanks for the quick response Reefteach!

    Mike's response is correct. It does not appear to be a crime for the 18-20 year old to possess the firearm or to carry it. However, if the way in which they came into possession of the firearm is via a gifting/loan while the 18-20 year old was an Ohio resident, then the person who provided the firearm would be guilty of a crime.

    This is an interesting question.






  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,882

    Post imported post

    None of this looks to be illegal under Ohio law. You get into interstate commerce questions if you're crossing borders, though. Acquiring one through a dealer would definitely bump the age requirement to 21 for the recipient. "Gifting" one to an 18-20 y/o before they move should be OK - not so sure about interstate gifting though. It would not violate the Youth Handgun Safety Act if the recipient is at least 18, but it might be worthwhile to re-check the fine print of the Gun Control Act.

    As for carrying in Dayton... what can I say? Good luck with that, legal or no.

    -ljp

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    Looks like nobody comits any Ohio state crime for possessing a firearm at any age.

  6. #6
    Regular Member sccrref's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, , USA
    Posts
    741

    Post imported post

    I guess that you are a minor until you reach the age of 12, unless you are a police officer and have the appropriate firearms training. Unless I am reading the link incorrectly.

  7. #7
    Regular Member sccrref's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, , USA
    Posts
    741

    Post imported post

    jpierce wrote:
    reefteach wrote:
    I PMed mike about this when the map was made. Here is the response:
    You bring up interesting points, but the 18-20 year old receiver of the handgun wuold not break any Ohio law by receiving a handgun.

    Moreover, consider this hypo: an 18-20 year old woman owns a handgun in Pennsylvania. The woman is accepted to a college in Ohio, and moves to Ohio with the handgun. Police see woman open carrying in the streets of Dayton on foot.

    Have any Ohio laws been broken? No.
    Thanks for the quick response Reefteach!

    Mike's response is correct. It does not appear to be a crime for the 18-20 year old to possess the firearm or to carry it. However, if the way in which they came into possession of the firearm is via a gifting/loan while the 18-20 year old was an Ohio resident, then the person who provided the firearm would be guilty of a crime.

    This is an interesting question.




    I would agree with this unless said person isaresponsible adult providing control or supervision of said 18-21 year old while engaging in certain activities. in A(3) of the code.

  8. #8
    State Researcher dng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,290

    Post imported post

    The crazy thing is that an 18 year old is old enough to carry a gun for Uncle Sam, but he's not old enough to buy ammo for a gun to defend himself or his property.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Summit County, OH USA
    Posts
    81

    Post imported post

    Yup, its the liberal outlook that a handgun is more dangerous than a rifle. Mind you most soldiers never touch a handgun (unless it's required for your MOS), every soldier however at least shoots a rifle once. Still, its sad that we call and 18 year old an adult but yet they still dont have all of their rights. I think its dumb that at 18 you can die for your country but you cant drink a beer. The whole more laws thing does nothing for anyone. If an 18 year old wants to shoot someone, he will shoot them, regardless of the fact that he couldn't buy the ammo himself. He'll use a rifle that he can buy the ammo for.

    PS When I was 19 I bought a pistol off my old boss (yeah illegal I know) and I could still buy pistol ammo. The trick is to just tell them its for a carbine rifle. hehe...

  10. #10
    Regular Member reefteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    511

    Post imported post

    Tell me about it. I enlisted for 2 years of active duty when I was 17. I had my 18th birthday in basic training. I then went to Germany for the rest of my enlistment, where it was legal for me to drink (and go to Octoberfest in Munchin!) . But when I came back stateside, I was a child in the eyes of the law.



    BTW- It is also silly that I could be be trusted with 203's, hand grenades, claymores and 8-inch artillary shells (nuclear capable), but not a .22 pistol when I got back.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Summit County, OH USA
    Posts
    81

    Post imported post

    Here is some humor that I'm sure everyone here can laugh along with.


    **PONDER THIS**

    Doctors:
    (A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.

    (B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.

    (C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

    Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services.

    *Now think about this:*

    GUNS:
    (A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000. (Yes, 80 million)

    (B) Accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, are 1,500.

    (C) Accidental deaths per gun owner is .000188.

    Statistics courtesy of FBI

    *Out of concern for the public at large, I have decided to withhold the statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and then seek medical attention. :-)

  12. #12
    State Researcher dng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,290

    Post imported post

    SWhetsel wrote:
    Here is some humor that I'm sure everyone here can laugh along with.


    **PONDER THIS**

    Doctors:
    (A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.

    (B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.

    (C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

    Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services.

    *Now think about this:*

    GUNS:
    (A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000. (Yes, 80 million)

    (B) Accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, are 1,500.

    (C) Accidental deaths per gun owner is .000188.

    Statistics courtesy of FBI

    *Out of concern for the public at large, I have decided to withhold the statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and then seek medical attention. :-)
    Glenn Beck was just talking about this. Amazing statistics, aren't they!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •