• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Age to Open Carry in Ohio

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

We currently have the minimum age to Open Carry in Ohio set to 18. However, in response to a question from the press, I have went back to review the code and in looking at the Ohio Revised Code (ORS) section which governs the minimum age for purchase and possession of a handgun at Chapter 29 Section 2923.21 which is viewable
at ( http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.21 ), it seems that 21 is the age at which a handgun may be possessed for "self-defense".

Can any of our Ohio members weigh in on this question?

Thanks!

John

reefteach

imported post

I PMed mike about this when the map was made. Here is the response:
You bring up interesting points, but the 18-20 year old receiver of the handgun wuold not break any Ohio law by receiving a handgun.

Moreover, consider this hypo: an 18-20 year old woman owns a handgun in Pennsylvania. The woman is accepted to a college in Ohio, and moves to Ohio with the handgun. Police see woman open carrying in the streets of Dayton on foot.

Have any Ohio laws been broken? No.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

reefteach wrote:
You bring up interesting points, but the 18-20 year old receiver of the handgun wuold not break any Ohio law by receiving a handgun.

Moreover, consider this hypo: an 18-20 year old woman owns a handgun in Pennsylvania. The woman is accepted to a college in Ohio, and moves to Ohio with the handgun. Police see woman open carrying in the streets of Dayton on foot.

Thanks for the quick response Reefteach!

Mike's response is correct. It does not appear to be a crime for the 18-20 year old to possess the firearm or to carry it. However, if the way in which they came into possession of the firearm is via a gifting/loan while the 18-20 year old was an Ohio resident, then the person who provided the firearm would be guilty of a crime.

This is an interesting question. :)

Legba

imported post

None of this looks to be illegal under Ohio law. You get into interstate commerce questions if you're crossing borders, though. Acquiring one through a dealer would definitely bump the age requirement to 21 for the recipient. "Gifting" one to an 18-20 y/o before they move should be OK - not so sure about interstate gifting though. It would not violate the Youth Handgun Safety Act if the recipient is at least 18, but it might be worthwhile to re-check the fine print of the Gun Control Act.

As for carrying in Dayton... what can I say? Good luck with that, legal or no.

-ljp

sccrref

imported post

I guess that you are a minor until you reach the age of 12, unless you are a police officer and have the appropriate firearms training. Unless I am reading the link incorrectly.

sccrref

imported post

jpierce wrote:
reefteach wrote:

Thanks for the quick response Reefteach!

Mike's response is correct. It does not appear to be a crime for the 18-20 year old to possess the firearm or to carry it. However, if the way in which they came into possession of the firearm is via a gifting/loan while the 18-20 year old was an Ohio resident, then the person who provided the firearm would be guilty of a crime.

This is an interesting question. :)
I would agree with this unless said person isaresponsible adult providing control or supervision of said 18-21 year old while engaging in certain activities. in A(3) of the code.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

The crazy thing is that an 18 year old is old enough to carry a gun for Uncle Sam, but he's not old enough to buy ammo for a gun to defend himself or his property.

SWhetsel

imported post

Yup, its the liberal outlook that a handgun is more dangerous than a rifle. Mind you most soldiers never touch a handgun (unless it's required for your MOS), every soldier however at least shoots a rifle once. Still, its sad that we call and 18 year old an adult but yet they still dont have all of their rights. I think its dumb that at 18 you can die for your country but you cant drink a beer. The whole more laws thing does nothing for anyone. If an 18 year old wants to shoot someone, he will shoot them, regardless of the fact that he couldn't buy the ammo himself. He'll use a rifle that he can buy the ammo for.

PS When I was 19 I bought a pistol off my old boss (yeah illegal I know) and I could still buy pistol ammo. The trick is to just tell them its for a carbine rifle. hehe...

reefteach

imported post

Tell me about it. I enlisted for 2 years of active duty when I was 17. I had my 18th birthday in basic training. I then went to Germany for the rest of my enlistment, where it was legal for me to drink (and go to Octoberfest in Munchin!) . But when I came back stateside, I was a child in the eyes of the law.

BTW- It is also silly that I could be be trusted with 203's, hand grenades, claymores and 8-inch artillary shells (nuclear capable), but not a .22 pistol when I got back.

SWhetsel

imported post

Here is some humor that I'm sure everyone here can laugh along with.

**PONDER THIS**

Doctors:
(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.

(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.

(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services.

*Now think about this:*

GUNS:
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000. (Yes, 80 million)

(B) Accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, are 1,500.

(C) Accidental deaths per gun owner is .000188.

Statistics courtesy of FBI

*Out of concern for the public at large, I have decided to withhold the statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and then seek medical attention. :)

dng

State Researcher
imported post

SWhetsel wrote:
Here is some humor that I'm sure everyone here can laugh along with.

**PONDER THIS**

Doctors:
(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.

(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.

(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services.

*Now think about this:*

GUNS:
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000. (Yes, 80 million)

(B) Accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, are 1,500.

(C) Accidental deaths per gun owner is .000188.

Statistics courtesy of FBI

*Out of concern for the public at large, I have decided to withhold the statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and then seek medical attention. :)

Glenn Beck was just talking about this. Amazing statistics, aren't they!