• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drawing on the drawn gun

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Robber was lucky that was a cop. Someone else may have just shot him. I'm impressed with the way the LEO controlled that situation. I would like to hear an interview with him. I wonder if there was something that indicated to him he wouldn't get shot or if he was just lucky.

danbus

imported post

I remember a post awhile back about drawing on a drawn gun and how it's almost a guarantee that you get shot.

We talk about OC and BGs not wanting to deal with an armed prey, however the BG comes in with gun already in hand. OC had no visible deterrent in this scenario. If you were the LEO in the vid, how exactly would you respond?

swillden

imported post

danbus wrote:
I remember a post awhile back about drawing on a drawn gun and how it's almost a guarantee that you get shot.
In this case he wasn't exactly "drawing on a drawn gun". His draw was out of the view of the BG, so the BG didn't even see the LEO's weapon until it was pointed at him. At that point, the BG was in a bad spot. His gun was pointed at the clerk when the LEO's gun came around the shelves, pointed straight at him. Not only that, it looks to me like most of the LEO's body was behind the shelves. Of course, the shelves wouldn't provide much real cover, but from the BG's point of view he was completely exposed with his gun off-target while the cop had the drop on him, and was behind cover.

The thing that made the most difference, IMO, was attitude. The would-be robber came in expecting the clerk and patron to cower in fear and was completely flummoxed when he was suddenly faced with an aggressive response. He wasn't mentally prepared for a fight, so his first reaction upon seeing the cop's gun was to duck and hide, not shoot. That reflexive reaction dropped his gun further out of position at which point resistance was hopeless, because the cop's point of aim never wavered.

Even if he'd come in fully prepared to kill someone, I think he'd still probably have lost the fight because the cop could've shot if he'd tried to shift his point of aim. He'd probably have gotten the shot off, but he'd have taken one to center mass first.

Tactically, it might have been better for the cop to back away, opening the distance from the clerk who was the BG's point of aim. The BG would have continued to approach the clerk, since that was his goal, and then when the cop challenged him his gun would have been 90 degrees out of position. On the other hand, that might have put the clerk in greater risk, giving the robber more time to shoot him.

LEO 229

imported post

OMG!!! That was excellent!

I think that what happened was that the bad guy did not expect someone inside to have a gun and draw.

When the bad guy saw the gun pointed at himhe could have shot but his mind was racing and geared towards a robbery. What to say, and what he wanted, no hold up alarms, watch other people, get out fast. This gun in his face was a new thing to process and was unexpected!!

He stepped back and had to switch over to "What the hell is this and what do I do now?"

LEO was very cool and did a top notch job. Locking the door was to prevent any look outs or an accomplice from walking in. Plus it is now a crime scene and the store is CLOSED!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, I certainly am impressed. I know I could not have handled the situation as well or as calmly. That was indeed the culmination of training and experience.

LEO 229

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Well, I certainly am impressed. I know I could not have handled the situation as well or as calmly. That was indeed the culmination of training and experience.
Absolutely!! You can see he drew, barked orders, moved forward, took control, secured the area, and did so without a second thought.

Look at the two and you will see one wondering what in the hell to do and moving about. The other... knowing EXACTLY what to do and no unnecessary movement.

This is a distinct difference in a LEO responding and a civilian. Sure.. both could do it but one has much more experience as can be witnessed here and no shots fired either and the cop was completely justified.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This cop did a great job. The bad guy made a decision he did not want to die. You can almost feel the frustration as he turns away from the cop. He doesn't know if it is a setup, if there is more than one cop, nothing. He just knows he is screwed and he doesn't want to die. Question is OC or CC?

VAopencarry

imported post

The cop saw it coming and was drawing before the guy was all the way in the store.

I could be wrong but I sawed this aired on a show and I think the BG's gun wasn't real or unloaded.

Good job by the cop.

Godscreation

imported post

I definitly don't want to kill this thread, but I have seen this video before on another show like this, and it turns out the crook had an empty bb gun. yeah, I'm shocked the dumb criminal show didn't mention that. My brothers a LEO so I'll see if I can get the source for my claim. but yeah, real gun vs fake gun. I would have complied too. Can you imagine, walking in to bluff a robbery only to have a REAL gun stuck in your face?

Tomahawk

imported post

The cop was supremely self-confident, knew exactly what to do, and didn't hesitate or show any nervousness. That's a fine example of cool.

That self-confidence is felt by all around, including the robber.

paramedic70002

imported post

The LEo must have known something was up; he began his draw before the BG got inside enough to start the stickup.

Maybe he saw the gun, or he or the clerk knew the guy.

Marco

imported post

How's the saying go.
"Have a plan or plan to fail." or "Tell God your plans so he could havea good laugh."
(LEO) (Criminal)

This LEO clearly paid attention during training and probable practiced giving verbal commands and his draw on his own time.

Somethings need to be practiced regularly if you want them to become second nature.
Just watch Cops or Tru TV to see other LEO's and non sworn persons who don't practice or pay attention to their surroundings.

The officer clearly had confidence in his abilities.
I commend himfor taking charge andgetting this idiot criminal off the streets.