• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police Dept's you have spoken to

Furner

imported post

Venator, can you email me your documents that you use to hand-out and mail please? I want to put some more pressure on GRPD for a response.
cfurner $AT$ gmail $DOT$ com

atomm

imported post

Very new to Open Carry. Have been lurking in forums for some time now. I have recently been speaking to a Sr. officer at a local PD and here is our corrispondence so far.

6/18/2008 11:31 AM - Sent to Sr. Officer

Mr. xxxxxx,

I took your CPL class back in Jan. 2008. You had said we could bother you with any questions later if we had any. My question is not with concealed carry but with open carry. I have done some research and read many, many fellow Michigan residents experiences with it and would like your take on it. Besides the normal, " it makes you more of a target ", " Its just not socially acceptable " , " That man with the gun must want to be an officer or something " , " He on some kinda of power trip? ". With the research I have done most of the trouble seems to come from, not to be harsh, fellow residents that are uninformed or brainwashed that guns kill people, when in fact people kill people (one of the great many arguments).

What I'd like to know is your take on open carry and if you as an on duty/off duty sworn officer would do if you came across a law abiding citizen openly carry his firearm.

Thanks in advance for your response.

*From Me

PS Attached is a document with a summary of what I have found on the websites I have visited for research.

(its the document you see earlier in this thread about open carry that was suggested to send to your local police chief)

Response from Sr. Officer - 6/20/2008 8:35 AM

Hi xxxxx,

Nice to hear from you again. Open Carry Eh? Yes it is legal in Michigan, there is no state law prohibiting anyone from carrying an exposed firearm in public. Now that is not such the case for local laws. Some Cities, Townships & or Villages have local ordinances that may prohibit open carry in public, but at most, you would be looking at a misdemeanor violation if convicted, not a felony charge.

I have attached our most recent (June) MSP Legal Update No. 66, it has some basic and frequently asked questions & answers regarding CPL & Firearms from the Law Enforcement aspect, and what is legal and what is not. This clearly states open carry in public is legal; see it for yourself (top right column). I have the MSP legal updates sent to my E-Mail & I keep them all. The April issue does not address any firearm related topics.

As far as my reaction as a responding Officer to a man with a gun call where he is carrying open. I would handle it as an armed citizen with all the safety precautions. I would use loud verbal commands for him to get into a safe position (probably prone out on the ground) and then cuff & disarm him. After that I would check his identity, check the registration of the pistol and as long as he legally owned the firearm and was not brandishing it in any way or violating any other laws, give him his firearm back (unloaded) and let him go.

Now after he is let go and turns the corner, another cop may get a call on the same thing, he (man with the gun) may go through the same thing again, & again, & again – is it worth all that?

Open Carry is not advisable and I would recommend that you stay away from it. It has way to many disadvantages vs. any advantages. As Police Officers in uniform, we undergo many hours of weapon retention training. Most Police Officers shot in the line of Duty are shot with their own pistol, that the Bad guy took whch away from them.

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION STRAIGHT TO THE POING – YES OPEN CARY IS LEGAL IN MICHIGAN, WITH OR WITHOUT A CPL.

Hope that helped out some.

Take Care,
Code:

My Response to that email - 6/20/2008 5:13 PM

Mr. xxxxxx,

Thank you for your timely response.

In regards to what you said here, " Now that is not such the case for local laws. Some Cities, Townships & or Villages have local ordinances that may prohibit open carry in public, but at most, you would be looking at a misdemeanor violation if convicted, not a felony charge. Wouldn't State Law "preempt" any local laws regarding firearms because of this, "

3) No local ordinance concerning firearm possession is enforceable due to Michigan’s preemption law.

In 1990, the Michigan legislature enacted MCL 123.1102 which provides, in pertinent part: A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

THE MICHIGAN SUPREME COURT CONCLUDED: April 29, 2003 9:10 am. v No. 242237 In sum, we conclude that § 1102 is a statute that specifically imposes a prohibition on local units of government from enacting and enforcing any ordinances or regulations pertaining to the transportation and possession of firearms, and thus preempts any ordinance or regulation of a local unit of government concerning these areas.
Further, we conclude that the specific language of the 2000 amendments to MCL 28.421 et seq., particularly §§ 5c and 5o, which were adopted more than a decade after the enactment of § 1102, do not repeal § 1102 or otherwise reopen this area to local regulation of the carrying of firearms.17 Accordingly, we hold that the Ferndale ordinance is preempted by state law and, consequently, we reverse. "

I am not a lawyer and could be misreading or not understanding it correctly, but with MCL 123.1102 any local law regarding, " the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms " is "void" for the lack of better word because of the Michigan Compiled Law?

Thanks again for your information regarding all of this. I await your response.

His response from previous email - 06/21/2008 1:07 AM

xxxxx,
I am sorry for the short response, I have been going 100 MPH in 10 different directions these last few days. But as far as state law preempting local laws, there is no state statute prohibiting open carry – therefore it can not be preempted if it does not exist. There is no law saying you may or may not. So if there is no law on the books prohibiting something, it is legal to do.

I have not gone through your entire response just yet. I will though and get back to you on it.

--------------------------------------------------------

That so far has been our conversation. I will post more when we speak some more.

Anything thing else you believe I should point out to him? or mention?

Whats your thoughts on this so far?

Thanks

ruger45

imported post

I talked with a genesee county pollice officer that I have spoken with before and asked him what he would do if he come across someone o.c.ing?he said you would be on the ground with a nine to your head!!!I then showed him paper work about it being ligle to o.c He said you dont live down south and if you do do it your asking for nothing but trouble.oh i am also a new member and love this web site and have learned a lot.:cuss:

SpringerXDacp

imported post

ruger45 wrote:
I talked with a genesee county pollice officer that I have spoken with before and asked him what he would do if he come across someone o.c.ing?he said you would be on the ground with a nine to your head!!!I then showed him paper work about it being ligle to o.c He said you dont live down south and if you do do it your asking for nothing but trouble.oh i am also a new member and love this web site and have learned a lot.:cuss:
Burton PD or Genesee County Sheriff's Dept???

SpringerXDacp

imported post

ruger45 wrote:
genesse county sherrif
You may want to inform the deputy that he/she would be skating on very thin ice for improper conduct (Terry Stop) on a law abiding citizen who chose tolegally carry his or her holstered firearm in plain view.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
ruger45 wrote:
genesse county sherrif
You may want to inform the deputy that he/she would be skating on very thin ice for improper conduct (Terry Stop) on a law abiding citizen who chose tolegally carry his or her holstered firearm in plain view.
Oh, its a little more than improper conduct. Its an illegal seizure of one's person. Assuming there were no 911 calls or on-scene witnesses making false allegations of criminal acts.

See Terry vs Ohio for whether a Terry Stop is considered a seizure for purposes of the 4th Amendment.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Citizen wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
ruger45 wrote:
genesse county sherrif
Oh, its a little more than improper conduct. Its an illegal seizure of one's person. Assuming there were no 911 calls or on-scene witnesses making false allegations of criminal acts.

See Terry vs Ohio for whether a Terry Stop is considered a seizure for purposes of the 4th Amendment.

Yes, I agree. I did not know how at the time to word my post so that I did not come across as a Cop Basher.

1COUNTRYBOY

imported post

Just returned from Oakland County Sheriff Sub-Station in Rochester Hills. I explained to the Shiriff my questions of open carry. His response was o.c. is not allowed. When I politely guided him to the M.S.P. website and showed him the law,He had to conceed that it was legal(boy, was his face red). I explained my reason again for asking was for clarifaction of any local laws prohibiting my o.c. right. He is not a happy camper but conceeded I have the right to o.c.(BEWARE IF YOU DECIDE TO CARRY IN ROCHESTER HILLS)

1COUNTRYBOY

imported post

I also spoke to the Chief of RHPD. He was aware of the law and said I had the right to o.c. He also explained I would probably be detained till theLEO did figure out I was allowed to o.c. I assured him I was not planning to test the waters........YET. The day I do I will have my ducks in a row and be ready to face a very disgruntled LEO.

1COUNTRYBOY

imported post

Oh Yes .........On the lighter side ..Been telling the guys I work with that MI. is an o.c. state. After I prove it to them,they shake their heads. They all look at me and say "Your gonna do it aren't you" I tell them Yes I am. Wanna join me? They all tell me "NO'' for some strange reason but do wish me good luck when I do o.c. One of the Det. Patrolman I spoke with just gave a look from the corner of his eye and a little smirk becuase he knows one day I will be testing the limits of the law. Should make an intresting story for my friends in N.Y.(some of the strictest gun laws around)

1COUNTRYBOY

imported post

Just spoke with AHPD,pretty much standard answer from them.YOU have to check the municipal codes youself. To many codes to check with you on the phone.( do I smell a setup....me thinks so). Codes are loose as far as I can see. The only thing I learned so far,(I guess), o.c. might fall under a "hunting" violation. Will read more and get back to all.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

1COUNTRYBOY wrote:
Just spoke with AHPD,pretty much standard answer from them.YOU have to check the municipal codes youself. To many codes to check with you on the phone.( do I smell a setup....me thinks so). Codes are loose as far as I can see. The only thing I learned so far,(I guess), o.c. might fall under a "hunting" violation. Will read more and get back to all.

NO, you do not have to check local "municipal codes" as ANY of them that are more strict than Michigan law are illegal according to preemption.

This is the whole point of preemption. Because it would be damn near impossible to know all local laws of all municipalities of Michigan. Preemption is there to protect us from inadvertently breaking an obscure local ordinance.

steve jaye

imported post

I spoke with NOVI PD yesterday and the sergeant told me they just had a briefing on this subject two weeks ago ( made reference to the MSP Legal update)she just told me to be ready for the cops because its NOVI and the citizens are up tight. Shealso toldme that I would be breaking no laws!

ghostrider

imported post

steve jaye wrote:
I spoke with NOVI PD yesterday and the sergeant told me they just had a briefing on this subject two weeks ago ( made reference to the MSP Legal update)she just told me to be ready for the cops because its NOVI and the citizens are up tight. Shealso toldme that I would be breaking no laws!
Two sentences:

"Under suspicion of what crime are you detaining me?"

"Am I free to go?"

Repeat untill contact is broken. If they stop you after being trained on it's legalities, then it isn't necessary to educate them.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

1COUNTRYBOY wrote:
Thanks will keep that in the back of my mind for future reference.

I would keep it at the front of your mind as it is the only defenses against illegal local ordinances. It's very simple, local laws in regards to firearm restrictions are illegal. PERIOD. I don't give a damn what the local PD or sheriff states, they want to intimidate the uninformed and control the masses.

And all that crap about the SWAT teams and guns drawn are exaggerated. Again, trying to scare the general population. While an encounter with LEO's could go down like that it rarely does. We have members here with hundreds of hour of OCing and have one or two encounters with the police. So the odds are good that you will not have the police called on you.

One of our goals is to inform the LEO's and the public that it's legal and that we have rights and that the LEO's really don't have a legal reason to stop, detain, question, ask for ID, etc.. While lawfully open carrying a handgun.

steve jaye

imported post

Email response from NOVI PD:

Mr. Stockton,

Thank you for the reminder on the open carry handgun law here in the great State of Michigan . We will certainly remind our police officers, dispatchers and supervisors of this statute once again.

David E. Molloy

Chief of Police

City of Novi Police Department

45125 W. Ten Mile Road

Novi, MI. 48375

Office: 248.347.0504

Fax: 248.347.0590

Email: dmolloy@cityofnovi.org