Thread: At whitts end...

Post imported post

I consider myself a tolerant man, I don't judge others by their specific fashion requirements, religion, or monetary status. I have always felt that regardless of aptitude education of the mind could overcome even the thickist of men.

I will also conclude that there are many, many laws on the books that I do not agree with on all fronts.

To skip to the point I have a neighbor who lives next to me. He is a retired gentlemen trying to live out the rest of his years in peace. He has two sons one of which is very anti social and keeps to himself. And the other is not exactly a shining star of the community. He has had multiple DWI's and according to himself has refused to pay for the test conducted. So in short he cannot obtain his license for some time if ever.

The father told me that he thought after the conviction the police would remove the firearms from his house. However they never did so even after the father informed the local police of what he had. (Expecting them to take possesion.)

Afew months ago the son with the DUI record decided he wanted an AR style rifle. They went to a gunshop (Unknown name) and attempted to purchase the firearm. The son was informed that he was not allowed to buy a firearm. So the father told the shop owner to put it in his name and the owner informed him that would be a straw purchase which are illegal. So they proceded to another shop and this time this time the father just purchased the gun whithout the son present.

I live on a small strip of land about a quarter acre big and the neighbor in question owns about one and half acres. Every once in a while the son decides to take a pistol out back and shoot it. I do not know where he shoots or what he shoots into. I only have the small claim made by him that it is not towards anyones house. As of late he has decided to take the AR out when he goes on these "shoots". And recently it would appear he has aquired a revolver of some type. (From the sounds I would think a .38 spec)

That is about as much backstory that I think is relevent so here is my complaint.As I stated I try not to judge anyone based off assumptions. However I have lived in this house for a year now and I have known him from the start. When ever he is around I always get this weird feeling that he just isn't up to any good. I do not know of any other charges that he has obtained but he has mentioned a past riddled with drug use. He comes home at all hours of the day and night in random stated of incoherence. Not all of the time mind you but enough to be noticed. He has made complaints about not having a job but when I mention the local markets and resturaunts he statesthey are beneath him. He has not had any employment since I have moved here and I don't see any attempt at it. He lerks in his yard until my girlfriend or myself take the dogs out and then just walks over and tries to strike up a conversation. She is not to fond of his presence herself and usually politely rushs in to avoid any further contact. As of late he has found interest in trying to startle me while I am outside. I have informed him a multiple of times that I care not for his antics and that I would prefer he does not. He has seen me OC on many occasions so he knows I carry. AndI have noticed him tug at his coat and or pullon his pants to know that he usually has something he should not.

So my question is, how do I deal with this?

I will be moving in two or less years but for now I do not know what to do. I really do not know if I should get involved with a legal agency. I worry that he will thinkIdid and then try and retailiate but I also fear that he may do something either intentionally or not that could cause someone harm. I work rotating shifts and my girlfriendworries when I'm not around. She is too young toCC and does not yet like the idea of OC for herself but does keep a revolver close while inside.

Any thoughts are welcome and I appriciate any advice. I am going to cross post this to the PAFOA forum because I am really looking for good solid opinions.

Post imported post

Wow... you said a ton of stuff but I did not get a clear idea of what you want answered. :P

From what I was able to get.. the guy bothers you and may be packing a gun when not permitted for some reason?

Post imported post

Print out what you just posted and write "dear neighbor" on the top of it. Put it in his mail box. Or even better, go have a chat with him. Tell him about the things that concern you. Tell him that you don't want to be making assumptions and you'd like it if he could clear your mind about a few things. Don't be confrontational, offer him coffee or something. Ask if you can join him in his backyard "range" for some trigger time. And if you don't like his answers about his son, ask him to please have a chat with his son, because you'd rather not call the police, but his son is making you feel unsafe at home.

It sounds like a lot of confrontation, but trust me that this will go over a lot better than calling the cops on this kid without talking to his dad first. You never know, the kid might have had something get cleared up, and now he's able to carry a gun. Or maybe he plays airsoft with his friends and likes to pack his airsoft gun for their "gang wars". The fact is that you don't know. Talk to his dad and let him know what is worrying you. Tell him that normally it wouldn't be your place to ask, but some of these things are making you nervous for your safety and that you'd rather talk to him face to face than hide behind your curtains and call the cops.

Just give it a shot. There may be a misunderstanding, and you may even make some new shooting buddies.

Post imported post

How long ago did the son try to buy a gun?

There is a good chance he will be getting a visit from the police for being a prohibited person trying to buy a gun.

Sounds like you are stuck with a neighbor you don't like, happens all the time.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

As stated I cross posted this to the PAFOA forum and I got some great sponces. I have decided to just chat with the father and slip in my concerns in a subdued manor and see where that gets me. I also have some leo friends that I'm just going to talk to and not really file anything at the moment. I will try to keep an update if this gets resolved or heaven forbid worse.

Post imported post

Sounds like the kid is liable to get into (more) trouble on a few fronts. He's apparently under weapons disability for some past legal reason and yet either has guns or at least has access to some. His presumptive ongoing drunkenness/drug use itself is sufficient legal reason to deny him a firearm - although that's hard to legally establish if he hasn't been convicted of anything over it. Likewise, dad could potentially get in trouble if he's acquiring guns ("straw purchases") for the kid, or for leaving them out where someone under disability can get at them...

I don't know what's to be done about it. Just try to avoid the guy. Calling the police for anything other than a clear-cut criminal complaint will just create or escalate tension. Then again, you may have a legitimate legal complaint, and you don't want to sit by and wait to have this guy victimize your old lady when you're gone and he's drunk, say.

I had a similar situation with a neighbor when I was in college. Out of desperation, I did talk to the police about the guy's guns and drugs and carrying on, and it got back to the guy somehow. Not a good scene. I feared for the safety of my female visitors though, and I got my 1st gun at around this time. Fortunately, it didn't come to a stand-off, but I moved as soon as possible after the end of the school term.

-ljp

Post imported post

My first instinct would be talk to a lawyer. Most lawyers do inital consultations free, and they are the ones that see the law put to use in the courts. Besides, with a lawyer there is no legal obligation or repercussions. Its just advice on the legal front of your problem. As for the moral front, I think the previous posts about having friendly conversation are great. Always better to talk and find out all the information. Not to mention that filing a police report and involving the cops, and then finding out later that all is well and good will make you eat some pride :shock:.

EDIT: Removed edit, too early for me to read and understand dates and times. Now I can eat my pride :P