• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AR 15

Godscreation

imported post

I want to get and AR 15, but when I google it, there is so many different stuff that comes up, I get frusterated and close the window. If I say "I want an AR 15" is that like saying "I want a pistol?" What's a good one to get, reasonable, and reliable, and all that junk. pics would be nice, perhaps a youtube video as well. thanks.

hsmith

imported post

My suggestion would be to build your own. I am in the process of building my 1st. It is fun and a good project. ARFCOM has good tutorials and is generally pretty helpful if you search first (my suggestion would be to search google using site:ar15.com)

pics so far:

n6233680_37218753_8458.jpg

I am waiting for the VLTOR "monolithic" upper. I need to order a barrel and optics and will be done.

You can build your own for as little as ~$650 or you can top out at whatever you can really afford :lol:

VAopencarry

imported post

I will disagree with hsmith. If you don't know anything about AR's, do not build one and do not go to ar15.com. You will only get more confused. There are many options but if you just want a regular ole AR there are only a couple things you need to decide.

Do you want a 'full size' fixed stock?

Do you want a 16" barrel and telescoping stock?

buy one with a removeable rear sight, so you can add an optic later if you decide.

Bushmaster, Rock River, DPSM, S&W currently has a 100 dollar rebate on their AR's.

Just buy one, the bells and whistles can always be added later if you want. If you want one with no particular purpose in mind other than plinking around, it won't matter much.

For the most part all the bling is just guys playing dress up and has no practical purpose. Meaning -you don't need all the bells and whistles to have a good AR. If you want to dress it up , knock yourself out, just pointing out it isn't 'needed'.

Godscreation

imported post

I want it obviously for target shooting and defense. But sense they all have to be a semi-auto, what's to stop me from just getting a rifle? I want an AR, they look cool and they seem to be ever popular after the "assault ban". but what makes an AR different from like a 30-06? both are semi, I just don't see the logic. I still want a an AR15 though.

Tomahawk

imported post

Godscreation wrote:
I want it obviously for target shooting and defense. But sense they all have to be a semi-auto, what's to stop me from just getting a rifle? I want an AR, they look cool and they seem to be ever popular after the "assault ban". but what makes an AR different from like a 30-06? both are semi, I just don't see the logic. I still want a an AR15 though.

What makes the two different? If you get a chance to shoot an M1 Garand and AR-15 on the same day, you will see.

The M1 and M14/M1A are fine rifles to be sure, but they are a bit harder to shoot because of the heavier recoil and lack of pistol-grip. It doesn't hurt; it just knocks you out of position between shots and adds to fatigue. They are also heavier than a standard AR-15 which also adds to fatigue.

I don't know which ammo is more expensive, but I would guess the .30 cal stuff would be.

There has been much talk about AR-15's being more susceptible to dirt than Mr. Garand's rifles, but unless you're abusing it it shouldn't be a problem.

I like them both, but you've got to decide for yourself.

VAopencarry

imported post

The question is way too general. Sounds like you do need to brush up on your gun knowledge. The AR is a different platform/style. How many 100's of thousands semi- auto rifles are out there? Do you think they are all the same ?

imperialism2024

imported post

On the question of ammo price, I was under the impression that .30-06 milsurp ammo was considerably cheaper than .223. Perhaps the key word is "milsurp". Anyhow, this is a question that I'd like to answer one day, but my Mosin/SVD/SKS/AK arsenal is still a few members away from completion, and the Barrett M82 is calling my name...

ArmedTiger

imported post

I used to own the forerunner of the AR15. The AR10. That was a fine rifle, but I had been laid off from work and got behind on rent and bills because MI refused to actually pay me my unemployment. They claimed that the checks were being sent but never showed me records, but that is another story that does not belong here. >.>

It shot as smooth as the M16 in semi-auto. To me the only differences were the weight of the rifle and the size of the calibre. Better one IMO.