• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

11 Students Plotted To Kill Third-Grade Teacher

Pointman

imported post

http://www.local6.com/news/15757528/detail.html

One of the teacher's relatives said each child at Center Elementary School in Waycross had a job to do, including one assigned to wipe up the blood.

The plot unraveled over the weekend when a student tipped off police, Local 6 reported.

School officials said they never imagined that some of the 8- and 9-year-olds boys and girls at the school would think of bringing physical harm to a teacher, WJXT reported.

"A plan had been developed amongst several of our third-grade students to allegedly do harm to their teacher," said Theresa Martin, of Ware County Schools. "It's shocking that they would think of this at their young age. I think that is probably the most shocking part for all of us," Martin said.

In addition to the knife being found, the school officials said other students had duct tape, handcuffs, ribbon and a heavy crystal paperweight.

The police chief in Waycross said that he believes the plan may have been developed because one of the students was punished with some sort of time out. However, that theory remains under investigation.

"I can't believe that -- because he's a third-grader. You know, I cannot believe that. Especially, for here," said parent Doris Rowland.

The children could face expulsion and criminal charges pending the investigation.

------------

http://www.wjhnews.com/

Young Center Suspects Could Be Arrested Today

Third-Graders Who Plotted Against Teacher Could Face 'Unruly Child' Charges, Police Chief Says

The arrests of as many as nine Center Elementary School third-graders who plotted to harm or kill their teacher at the school Friday are imminent, said police investigators.
Police Chief Tony Tanner said this morning that he anticipates arrests being made today.
Waycross police Monday concluded their investigation into a plot by nine children, boys and girls, to hurt their teacher with a knife Friday.
"When the arrests are made, these children will be charged with being an unruly child," Tanner said. "I don't know what will happen then because of their age. It will be up to the juvenile judge. It's hard to say."
The children's parents, Tanner said, did not know anything about the plot and have been extremely cooperative.
"They are shocked, saddened and surprised," Tanner said. "This is their worst nightmare."
None of the parents will likely be charged with anything. Tanner said that had the parents known prior to the incident, they could be charged with being a party to a crime or conspiracy.
"None of these parents knew anything," Tanner said.
The results of the police investigation have been turned over to District Attorney Rick Currie.
Currie said this morning that the school system could take action against the students.
"It's really up to the school," Currie said. "It is my understanding that the school will take action. My hands are pretty much tied."
School officials, including Coleman, Dr. Wayne Badie, assistant superintendent in charge of student services, and Theresa Martin, public relations official, were in a meeting this morning at Center.
Martin said prior to the start of the meeting she did not have anything new to release but hoped to gain information later today.
Dr. Joseph Barrow, Ware school superintendent, has been in Atlanta on unrelated business for the past two days, school officials said.
Police investigators, Badie and Coleman met with parents of the student suspects - and with the students - at Center throughout the day Monday.
Martin said Monday that those conferences would lead to a determination of the fate of the students, and whether that would include expulsion or suspension.
"I'm quite sure that they are not (in school today), said Tanner, the police chief.
A classmate reported seeing a knife in a student's possession at the school at about 7:30 Friday morning, prior to the start of the school day, and an investigation led by Principal Angie Coleman ensued.
It was discovered that the students of Belle Carter - a third grader teacher whose class includes children with disabilities including ADD (attention deficit disorder), DDD (delayed development disorder) and hyperactivity - planned to harm her.
Confiscated were a serrated blade steak knife (broken), handcuffs and duct tape, said police and school officials.
Tanner said everyone took the situation seriously. He said it was believed the children's decision to harm the teacher was made some time last week. He said the motive may have been to exact revenge on Carter after she disciplined a girl in her classroom for "standing on a chair."
Currie explained that when a young child - such as age 8 or 9 - commits a crime that is considered an "adult offense," the child is usually released to the parents.
Currie said he isn't sure what kind of facility the state has to house an 8- or 9-year-old child. They cannot be handled through the court system because they have to be 13.
"And these kids are well under that," Currie said. "The juvenile court can charge them and declare them delinquents."
Currie said he is not sure what will be decided insofar as the students being allowed at some point to return to school.
"When we have a child who commits a sex offense, we sometimes require that they not be around children so that we won't have a repeat. But that is not the case here."

------------

Pointman: And they call law-abiding citizens who want to be able to defend themselves the nut-jobs.

Legba

imported post

I love that "this kind of thing just doesn't happen here" response. These kinds of thing never happen anywhere- until they do. Communities are just aggregations of individuals, and there's no place that's ultimately any more virtuous or immune from weirdness than any other.

-ljp

Flintlock

imported post

Pointman wrote:
In addition to the knife being found, the school officials said other students had duct tape, handcuffs, ribbon and a heavy crystal paperweight.
Seems like they wereplanninga pretty elaborate scheme considering they are8 and 9 year olds. I think there may be more to the story than is being written here.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Flintlock wrote:
Pointman wrote:
Seems like they wereplanninga pretty elaborate scheme considering they are8 and 9 year olds. I think there may be more to the story then is being written here.
I wondered about that, too. What 8 or 9 YO kid has the capability to plan something like this to the extent of acquiring handcuffs. Most kids that age can't even plan lunch.

Phssthpok

imported post

ilbob wrote:
Flintlock wrote:
Pointman wrote:
Seems like they wereplanninga pretty elaborate scheme considering they are8 and 9 year olds. I think there may be more to the story then is being written here.
I wondered about that, too. What 8 or 9 YO kid has the capability to plan something like this to the extent of acquiring handcuffs. Most kids that age can't even plan lunch.

It was discovered that the students of Belle Carter - a third grader teacher whose class includes children with disabilities including ADD (attention deficit disorder), DDD (delayed development disorder) and hyperactivity - planned to harm her.

I have a theory...well...to be more precise I subscribe to a theroy proposed by another, but in an effort to NOT be labled a nut-job, I'll keep it to myself. Suffice it to say that it makes absolute prefect sense to me.:?

The sad part is, that those in power will not learn from this lesson.:(

PT111

imported post

Last year at one of the elementary schools here three 4th grade boys planned the murder of the school principal and were going to hitchhike to Florida after doing it. It was foiled whne one of the chickened out and informed his teacher. In one of the boys bookbag they found clothes that he had packed for the trip along with a loaded .38 revolver. I can believe this plan by third graders easily.

Pointman

imported post

Taken from: http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/040108/geo_263715960.shtml

The nine students - girls and boys, 8 and 9 years old - are too young to be charged with a crime under Georgia law, a prosecutor told the Times-Union. Authorities withheld the students' names because of their age and student privacy laws.

The target was Belle Carter, a veteran educator who teaches third-grade students with learning disabilities in a contained classroom setting, colleagues, friends and parents said. Teachers and parents at the school said Carter taught students with a range of learning disabilities, including attention deficit disorder, delayed development and hyperactivity.

"From what I understand, they were considered pretty good kids," Martin said. "But we have to take this seriously, whether they were serious or not about carrying this through, and that's what we did."

Police hoped to complete their investigation Monday afternoon and will forward the results to prosecutors, Tanner said. But prosecutors' hands may be tied in the case because children in Georgia can't be charged with a crime unless they are at least 13, District Attorney Rick Currie said.

A juvenile court judge can declare those younger than 13 delinquent, but Georgia has no detention facilities for anyone as young as the third-graders, Currie said.

"These kids, if they come back to school, what have they learned? That they can plan to kill their teacher and get away with it. That's not right," Hiott said.

With 500 students and 80 staff members, Center Elementary School is recognized as a Distinguished School by the Georgia Department of Education because its students have met annual academic achievement standards for the past six consecutive years.

Violence is rare, and the plot is the first of its kind at any Ware County school, according to law enforcement officials and school system records.

"This is an isolated incident, an aberration. ... We have good kids," said Center Principal Angie Coleman who, like police officials and school system administrators, struggled Monday to make sense of the incident.

Coleman said counselors were present should the students and staff need them.

"This incident surprised me. It surprised all of us," Tanner said.

--------

Comment: "We have good kids." Talk about self-delusional.

TheApostle

imported post

These kids will get older, and become an even greater problem for society to deal with. You cannot rehabilitate sociopaths.

nova

imported post

Make them turn big rocks into smaller rocks? :lol:

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Itwas a pretty elaborate scheme these kids hatched. It would seem to me that their imaginations were running pretty fast while they were hatching the plot. I think it is time for some non hysterical adults to have a talk with them. Somehow I still think they were just kids who got carried away with an idea. Sure they need to learn and they need some punishment but lets not forget they are still kids, their lives mightyet be salvaged. Anyone remember the term spanking?

compmanio365

imported post

Hello? When I was a kid, we all knew about juvenile hall. It was prison, just filled with people our age......why doesn't Georgia have this. And why the hell weren't these "kids" expelled on the spot? What a joke.......:banghead:

imperialism2024

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Hello? When I was a kid, we all knew about juvenile hall. It was prison, just filled with people our age......why doesn't Georgia have this. And why the hell weren't these "kids" expelled on the spot? What a joke.......:banghead:

Because they didn't have any pictures of guns.

Clearly, the only reason that the kids didn't go through with the plot is because there was no influence by a Gun, or a picture of a Gun. If there were, then the Gun would follow each child and whisper evil thoughts into his or her ear. But since there's no gun involved, obviously it's not serious. Jeez, sounds like someone hasn't listened to their media outlet recently.

iwantarevolution

imported post

ok for one...the handcuffs were toy handcuffs from their toybox...and two..they may be 8 and 9 years old but have you seen the video games kids play these days?? have you seen the tv shows and movies they watch??

Pointman

imported post

From the Local Headline of Monday, April 7th: http://www.wjhnews.com/

NAACP Has Some Problems With How Third Grade Plot Issue Was Resolved By Authorities

After conducting their own investigation into a student plot to hurt or kill a third grade teacher at Center Elementary School on March 28 and its aftermath, local NAACP officials say the resolution of the incident was mishandled and that parents of accused students were intimidated into signing documentation that unfairly affected their children.

"On Monday, March 31," said Larry Lockey, Ware County NAACP branch president, "parents were pressured to sign a document without having a proper interpretation of what they were signing in terms of being informed of the legal consequences of how signing would affect their children's education.

"Instead, they were offered negative options about what would happen to their children in school if they did not sign the form. The Ware County NAACP is greatly concerned about this most recent incident involving these third grade students who have been charged with felony crimes," Lockey said in a written statement.

Nine students have been suspended from Center, seven of them for the duration of the school year, after plotting to hurt a teacher, police said. Three of the nine were arrested for conspiring to commit aggravated assault.

"Because of the information fed to the media by the school system, this incident was blown out of proportion," said Lockey.

The statement by Lockey also seems to insinuate that the local NAACP is unhappy that recent public issues over discipline problems in the Ware County School system have been mishandled by authorities and sensationalized by the media. "The school system seems to have had a large number of disciplinary incidents that appear to have questionable outcomes that have been recently magnified in our local media. The local NAACP would like to have a mass meeting with all the parents and guardians involved in this recent incident to determine what actions are to be taken by the local NAACP branch."

Meanwhile, the Ware County school board issued a statement over the weekend, requesting the Journal-Herald to publish it in its entirety:

Board Statement Concerning Center Elementary Issue
At the end of its called board meeting last Friday, the Ware County Board of Education issued a statement concerning the events that took place last week at Center Elementary School. The statement reads as follows:

As a board, we believe that it is appropriate that we make a public statement concerning the events that took place at Center Elementary last Friday. While, we are certainly disappointed by the behavior of these students, we are satisfied that the system for insuring student and teacher safety worked, and because of that, no one was hurt.

From the student who saw the knife and reported it to a teacher, to the teacher who reported the knife to the principal, to the principal's prompt action in questioning the students and removing them from the classroom and from the school, to the involvement of central office administration and local law enforcement officials, safety protocol was followed to the letter.

The board would like to officially commend the student who reported the incident. We feel that this action was in direct response to the effective training the student had been provided by the Center Elementary staff.

As the superintendent has stated in his remarks, many may speculate on the student's intentions, but there is no way to know what these students' full intentions were or whether or not they would have acted upon those intentions.

What we do know is that students contrived a plan and brought items: a broken steak knife, a set of handcuffs, a long ribbon, two types of tape and a crystal paperweight to school. These items, plus the plan outlined by the students, gave the administration enough reason to suspend seven of the students for the remainder of the school year.

Two of the students were suspended for a lesser amount of time due to the extent of their involvement.

The Ware County Board of Education supports safe and secure schools, and we believe that the administration acted appropriately in their responses. We agree with the consequences that have been levied.

The board regrets that in some circumstances individuals who were uninformed about the situation have communicated incorrect information to the public. The board attempts to communicate to the public in a timely and succinct manner, but we are governed by confidentiality laws during periods of investigation. We make every attempt to give as much accurate information as possible, as soon as possible.
In an open letter to parents, principal Angie Coleman called the Center Elementary community a great community, a supportive community, and a caring community.
Like Ms. Coleman, the board is confident that together, students, staff, parents, school, government officials, religious leaders and all community members must continue to work together to supervise and be aware of what our children are doing, what they are talking about, who their friends are, and what they watch on television.

It is up to each and every person in our community to help make Ware County a great place to go to school.

----

Comments: How did this become a NAACP issue, as race was never an issue? One student reported the incident--that is not "a system." I have to wonder if the superintendent is also against all attempted murder convictions. Why is it up to each and every community member to make the school a better place, since school personnel are paid to do just that?

To answer a previous question, they are too young to be detained in the system, as stated in my April 1 post.

Pegasus

imported post

Pointman said:
Why is it up to each and every community member to make the school a better place, since school personnel are paid to do just that?

"Like Ms. Coleman, the board is confident that together, students, staff, parents, school, government officials, religious leaders and all community members must continue to work together to supervise and be aware of what our children are doing, what they are talking about, who their friends are, and what they watch on television."

If you interpret it as "it's up to the community to make sure the kids aren't doing stuff like this in their spare time" then I'd agree. Sending your kids to a friend's house shouldn't involve worrying that the friend's mom isn't home or that the kids are ordering porn on pay-per-view because the TV doesn't have its security setting enabled (even my mother's old TV and dish setup had security passcodes!). I'm not saying that people should leave the parenting to everyone else, but communication and a united community front on issues like violence can really help when bringing up a kid and can reassure school personnel that they're not going to get their heads bitten off by Mrs. PTA-Mom when little Johnny is accused of bringing knives to school (or that at least they'll have majority support for their decisions).

I can imagine 3rd graders planning this. Yes, many of them can't plan a nutritious lunch but when I was in third grade I had no problems dreaming up all kinds of fun running- away scenarios, among other more fantastical ideas like being able to fly and be invisible. :p I can't say I ever fantasized violence, but if I had really been encouraged to run away with a friend I would've been out the door with some twinkies and my bicycle pretty fast. Sure, you get caught at that age, but being caught doesn't mean being incapable of planning.... which is kinda scary.

Their punishment though is too light if it's just being kicked out though. Even if the school makes arrangements for a personal tutor (which I believe they are legally responsible for in some situations), these kids are essentially getting a vacation without much extra work. And considering they're "troubled" kids (ADD, etc are sometimes tough for parents to deal with all day at home, especially if they're used to sending the kid off for a teacher to deal with 6 hours a day), I doubt they'll be heavily disciplined at home either. I'm forseeing for these kids a full, long summer of video games and hanging out laughing at the peers who are "stuck" in school. :/

When will administrators learn that suspension only removes the problem from view instead of curing it? It's like slapping a band-aid on an infection. :banghead: