• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC/prospecting meet?

b1ack5mith

imported post

well, seeing as this GORGEOUS country is now green, and less snowy... would anyone like to join me in some payson canyon/santaquin canyon goldprospecting and OCing? i havent found much more than silver up payson yet (but i am just a beginner panner too...) any of you guys wanna join me in the great outdoors and get off these dang computers? :D it would be fun to have a little get together, even with just one other person!

ANDDD... we should also have a larger meet soon, up american fork canyon, they have lots of gold i hear... lots of flour gold, but gold nonetheless! would be fun to make a little prospecting organization too ;)

HH and happy OCing too!

b1ack5mith

imported post

goin to payson canyon (just at the mouth of the canyon, before you get into the forest) right now, anyone wanna go? you can call me at (714) 642-6226 :)

b1ack5mith

imported post

just got back from payson canyon, takes me 3 minutes to get to where we pan... maybe 4 mins ;) well we went up the creek about 100 feet or so, and we saw some tracks in a strange place, we got closer, and its bear tracks lol... near those are large dog tracks, ive seen coyote tracks, and these are about 2x that size lol. found a few small flakes of silver! so it isnt too bad of a day! (well atleast i THINK its silver)

b1ack5mith

imported post

picked up a sluice box last night (i think theyre called highbankers?) for just a few bucks off KSL, brought it home, didnt think it would work... put my material on top, used the hose for washing down the stuff... and amazingly all the black sand was inside the sluice! that made me happy lol.

P.S. looking for a cheap glock 22 on KSL (friend wants the full size .40) whats the max to pay for one? 400 or 450?

b1ack5mith

imported post

HEY GUYS!!! went up to santaquin canyon earlier to pan for gold... used the sluice for awhile, too hard to pan the water into it (its a highbanker) so i just went oldschool... and 2 pans later, i see a "splinter looking" object... but it was almost orangish... so i picked it up, tried to break it.. and it just bent. come to find out, its a small piece of gold! got a picker guys! the road is still closed off past the picnic area, but thats ok. saw a guy with his fishingpole up there, and he noticed my pistol, i mentioned bears and moose in the area, and told him that even in payson ive seen bear tracks (literally IN town there are bear tracks, its in a more rural part of payson, near the canyon)

but im excited! found my FIRST REAL GOLD!!!! so tonight i bought a 51" long sluice for more capacity :D anyone ready for an OC/BBQ/gold hunt? hahaha

UTOC-45-44

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
HEY GUYS!!! went up to santaquin canyon earlier to pan for gold... used the sluice for awhile, too hard to pan the water into it (its a highbanker) so i just went oldschool... and 2 pans later, i see a "splinter looking" object... but it was almost orangish... so i picked it up, tried to break it.. and it just bent. come to find out, its a small piece of gold! got a picker guys! the road is still closed off past the picnic area, but thats ok. saw a guy with his fishingpole up there, and he noticed my pistol, i mentioned bears and moose in the area, and told him that even in payson ive seen bear tracks (literally IN town there are bear tracks, its in a more rural part of payson, near the canyon)

but im excited! found my FIRST REAL GOLD!!!! so tonight i bought a 51" long sluice for more capacity :D anyone ready for an OC/BBQ/gold hunt? hahaha

Sounds fun. I'll bring my .44 Ruger and .44 Henry rifle.

Sundays is usually best for me. Maybe I could sleep over from Saturday to Sunday so that we could early. Maybe even sleep next to the river in a tent and have a fireplace with & BBQ:celebrate. Anyone up for it???

Mr. Magnum

imported post

Told ya theres a little bit of gold in Santaquin canyon.:cool:

Still a bit cold for me to want to play, but when it warms up &the upper canyon is opened I'll be in touch with you.

Also. If your high-banker is complete, it should be set-up to use a gas powered pump to get water from the stream up to the top of thehopper. There it should have a spray bar with several holes for the water to exit & wash material down through the riffles.

If this stuff is missing it can be fabricated easily with some sheet metal, pvc pipe & a valve to adjust the flow.

b1ack5mith

imported post

its a cheaper plastic one, that u need a hose/bucket of water to pour down the top... the mat that catches the gold at the bottom sucks, but hey i used it again today and found a couple more small pieces of gold and silver! (platinum maybe?) i bring a bucket of gravel home with me whenever i go so i wont be borred later LOL!

UTOC-45-44, that sounds like a GREAT plan! id definately do it :D very soon we should be seeing warmer nights (so we wont turn into popsickles lol) and id DEFINATELY like to go do this stuff! ill be lookin for another pan (i have 2, but id like one or 2 more for people who dont have em/backups/fam members) and by the way... i hear AF canyon has ALOT more gold (gold in every pan ive heard) but what suprised me is that i found gold right infront of that picnic area in santaquin canyon, you'd think there wouldnt be any because the campers lol!

ive got the gold fever guys!!! oh and mr. magnum, the water wasnt really cold (strangely) i was up where the road is blocked off, and my hands didnt even get very cold, i didnt lose feeling in my fingers at all, payson canyon was colder!)

UTOC-45-44

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
its a cheaper plastic one, that u need a hose/bucket of water to pour down the top... the mat that catches the gold at the bottom sucks, but hey i used it again today and found a couple more small pieces of gold and silver! (platinum maybe?) i bring a bucket of gravel home with me whenever i go so i wont be borred later LOL!

UTOC-45-44, that sounds like a GREAT plan! id definately do it :D very soon we should be seeing warmer nights (so we wont turn into popsickles lol) and id DEFINATELY like to go do this stuff! ill be lookin for another pan (i have 2, but id like one or 2 more for people who dont have em/backups/fam members) and by the way... i hear AF canyon has ALOT more gold (gold in every pan ive heard) but what suprised me is that i found gold right infront of that picnic area in santaquin canyon, you'd think there wouldnt be any because the campers lol!

ive got the gold fever guys!!! oh and mr. magnum, the water wasnt really cold (strangely) i was up where the road is blocked off, and my hands didnt even get very cold, i didnt lose feeling in my fingers at all, payson canyon was colder!)

HEY...,you WHIMPsickle you :lol::celebrate.

TJ

b1ack5mith

imported post

ok guys lets go tomarrow lol! not for camping, but atleast to go up santaquin canyon! i have a permit thats good for a group of 4 people to sluice, and my sluice is 51" long, so if we hit a good spot we could pull up alot of treasure ;)

anyone wanna go up santaquin on sunday after church?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
ok guys lets go tomarrow lol! not for camping, but atleast to go up santaquin canyon! i have a permit thats good for a group of 4 people to sluice, and my sluice is 51" long, so if we hit a good spot we could pull up alot of treasure ;)

anyone wanna go up santaquin on sunday after church?

Was down in Orem and spent all my gas $$$ for the upcoming week. After next paycheck for me maybe.

TJ