• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Broken Beretta

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I went out to the range to practice with a friend and the darn thing just refused to return the trigger after firing a shot. I could push it foreword with my finger tip and it would reset. Try that in a gun fight. Thething is about a year old with lessthan 200 rounds through it.It is disgusting. If I had needed it I would have had one shot thenthrow it atthe BG. :banghead:

Itappears to bejust a broken return spring but that doesn't make me feel any better. I shipped it off to Beretta with a note expressing my joy at this turn of events. I guess sooner or later I will find out how that goes. Read that WARRANTY?

So I am forced to carry my Taurus 38 special revolver. It is reminiscent of one of the old police 38 Special S&Ws. It has wooden grips, six shots, a 4 inch barrel, and adjustable sights. In other words it is a big heavy hunk of steel. Even the holster for it is an old police type that hangs lower than I normally like. But at least I am not without a gun while Beretta looks at my Cheetah.

Bear 45/70

imported post

irfner wrote:
I went out to the range to practice with a friend and the darn thing just refused to return the trigger after firing a shot. I could push it foreword with my finger tip and it would reset. Try that in a gun fight. Thething is about a year old with lessthan 200 rounds through it.It is disgusting. If I had needed it I would have had one shot thenthrow it atthe BG. :banghead:

Itappears to bejust a broken return spring but that doesn't make me feel any better. I shipped it off to Beretta with a note expressing my joy at this turn of events. I guess sooner or later I will find out how that goes. Read that WARRANTY?

So I am forced to carry my Taurus 38 special revolver. It is reminiscent of one of the old police 38 Special S&Ws. It has wooden grips, six shots, a 4 inch barrel, and adjustable sights. In other words it is a big heavy hunk of steel. Even the holster for it is an old police type that hangs lower than I normally like. But at least I am not without a gun while Beretta looks at my Cheetah.
Taurus revolvers are license built, in Brazil, S&W revolvers. They are exact copies of the S&W and of the same quality and strength. I am not now nor have ever been a fan of Beretta handguns (shotguns are a different thing) and felt the US Military blew it on choosing the Beretta for it's new handgun.

compmanio365

imported post

Yeah, I've had a Beretta 21A (.22LR) that would just not function no matter what I did to it......it's gone now, traded in on my Kel Tec PF9. I've shot a Beretta M9, and almost every shot it jammed, just like the .22. So far, I'm 0/2 with Beretta. Don't think I'll be looking at one anytime soon.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Taurus revolvers are license built, in Brazil, S&W revolvers. They are exact copies of the S&W and of the same quality and strength. I am not now nor have ever been a fan of Beretta handguns (shotguns are a different thing) and felt the US Military blew it on choosing the Beretta for it's new handgun.
I like the Taurus. It is well built and reliable. I purchased it sometime around 1993 and I use it for home defense. It has been 100% reliable but it isheavy to carry.Perhaps I should look for a better holsteror buy suspenders. I am far less enthused with the Beretta now than I was. I guess I will start searching to see just what their reliability issues are.

Bear 45/70

imported post

irfner wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
I like the Taurus. It is well built and reliable. I purchased it sometime around 1993 and I use it for home defense. It has been 100% reliable but it isheavy to carry.Perhaps I should look for a better holsteror buy suspenders. I am far less enthused with the Beretta now than I was. I guess I will start searching to see just what their reliability issues are.
I wear tactial harness suspenders (made by Orca Custom, http://www.orcacustom.com/harness/harness.html )whenever I have a handgun on my belt. I start using them when I was carrying my Ruger Redhawk, 7 1/2" barrel in 41 Mag when hunting on foot, I now also have a holster onthe tank bags on my quad because that thing is heavy.They also make custom holster which I really like.

expvideo

imported post

irfner wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
You can give it to me :p

Bear 45/70

imported post

irfner wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:

I've liked both Taurus revolvers I've owned. I still have a 415 Stainless, 5 shotrevolver with 2 1/2" ported barrel in 41 Magnum (my favorite pistol caliber) and really like it. Well made, fit and finish are exellent and it shoots well too. I've have never had a problem with either Taurus. FYI,Taurus has a lifetime warranty on the revolvers. That's the lifetime of the revolver, not you.

http://www.taurususa.com/main/repair-policy.cfm

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Beretta put in a new trigger return spring under warranty. They also made a few adjustments and sent the gun back to me. I just took it out and put 150 rounds through it. I must admit I used the cheapest junkiest ammunition I could get my hands on. The gundigested it justfine with the Beretta magazine but my two after market spare mags caused jam ups. They might be ok with some quality ammo but I will probably not chance it. So I am on the hunt for a couple of genuine Beretta 13 round mags. The requirement to ship a pistol next day air adds a lot of cost even to warranty repairs. So next time I will probablytry a local gunsmith first.