• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Short update on Heller vs DC

Trigger Dr

imported post

Sorry about the length, but well worth the read.

A short up-date on the 2nd Amendment case before the High Court. It looks like the Justices are leaning the right direction. God Bless!!

[align=center]D.C. v. Heller; Eyewitness - RIGHT TO LIFE
Postgame Highlights #1
[/align]
[align=center][/align]
The bottom line is, I think we're going to be OK.

When Justice Kennedy flat out said he believes in an individual right under the Second Amendment, there were no gasps in the hush of the High Court, but you could tell the greatest stellar array of gun-rights experts ever assembled, all there in that one room, breathed a sigh of relief. We had five votes to affirm the human and civil right to arms.

The transcript will be a key for analysis going forward until June, when the decision is expected, and I'm working without the benefit of that at the moment. Digesting the fleeting and immensely complex speech that took place for one hour and thirty-eight minutes a few hours ago, it's hard to see how any line of thought could be strung together to support the idea that the D.C. total ban on operable firearms at home can be seen as reasonable regulation, even though Mr. Dellinger, the city's attorney, tried to suggest it was. He was shot down on this repeatedly, found no quarter from any of the Justices, though several found room to move on what amounts to reasonable restrictions.

And it is easy to see, from the non-stop rapid-fire comments and questions of eight of the Justices (Thomas asked nothing, extending his legendary running silence), how even the most permissive standard of review imaginable for gun-ban laws, could tolerate the District's level of intolerance toward some sort of right to keep and bear arms. That would give the pro-rights side what it so sorely wants - an unambiguous admission that the Second Amendment protects something for "the people," and the rest of that pie can be baked later.

Dellinger tried to suggest that rifles, shotguns and handguns had different usefulness, actually implying rifles are better for self defense in an urban home, because handguns were so inherently bad or dangerous that cities had a legitimate interest in banning them, but the Court wasn't buying it, and noting that D.C.'s ban banned everything.

Packed into that short rabidly intense section, the Justices examined:

Trigger Dr

imported post

the rest of it (maybe)

AW HECK, just go to

http://www.gunlaws.com and search

Dr. Fresh

imported post

LOL what kind of moron would use a rifle for self defense in a crowded urban area? If I fended off an intruder with my Mosin Nagant, I'd kil half my neighbors in addition to the perp. Some people.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
LOL what kind of moron would use a rifle for self defense in a crowded urban area? If I fended off an intruder with my Mosin Nagant, I'd kil half my neighbors in addition to the perp. Some people.
Use the bayonet. Heck you can probably stab the perp to death before they even get near you.

just_a_car

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
Not if you loaded it with soft-point hunting rounds. It would expand and release a good majority of the energy in the perp and likely leave a hole out the back the size of Nevada.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Shoot... I could probably STAB the Neighbor with the Bayonet also!

I swear the only reason those guns are so accurate is that one can put the end of the barrel on the target 200 yards away :)