• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

prohibited carry areas

unreconstructed1

imported post

Can anyone tell me where I can find a pretty good list of the places where carry is prohinited ?If not, is Tn code 39-13 the only area of the code that deals with weapons prohibition?

Fallguy

imported post

Here is one place to look. http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgun/handguntca.htm

There basically 5 places prohibited to carry by law in TN.

39-17-1305 Places where alcohol is served for onsite conumption.

39-17-1306 In a room where a judicial proceeding is taking place.

39-17-1309 On school grounds.
They can be left in your car 39-17-1309(c)(1) [Second half] or left on your person in your car if you are simply picking up or dropping off someone as long as you dont' get out of the car or handle the weapon. 39-17-1310

39-17-1311 Public parks, playgrounds, civic centers and other public recreational buildings and grounds.
There is a list of exemptions (including in your car while dropping off and picking up) under subpart (b)(1)(G)

39-17-1359 Any place with a properly posted sign that states the prohibation of the carry of weapons on that property.

As you already know...most weapons laws are covered under Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13 (39-17-13xx) in the T.C.A. there are some hunting laws that address weapons under Title 70.

Fallguy

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
IIRC Tennessee has a law against carrying firearms in a National Forest as well.
There is no TN law that specifically mentions National Forest. But they could well fall under 39-17-1311 as a government owned recreational area.

skwerl

imported post

There is one more to add to the list: all State University property. As an employee at the University of Tennessee, I am not allowed to bring any firearm on campus. I can leave a firearm with the police, but a firearm is not allowed even if it is secured in your vehicle. There was recently an attempt to allow CCW permit carrying employees to carry (which I support), but I think it was defeated. As an alum of Virginia Tech and someone who took classes in Norris Hall, I wish someone had been carrying. That is the only way I think that tradgedy would have been brought to a less horrible conclusion.