• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Empty hand vs knife self-defense video

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Some interesting self defense techniques. For in case one doesn't have a pistol handy or lacking the opportunity to deploy it.
[flash=450,370]http://www.liveleak.com/e/049_1206394577[/flash]

possumboy

imported post

If anyone is interested in training and not just watching videos: http://www.tridentacademy.org/index.asp

Very good FMA (Filipino Martial Arts) program. Also have JKD (Jeet Kune Do) for trapping and such.

I just helps me keep pulling the gun has a last resort.

I always tell people my gun is my first and last line of defense.

First: The presense dissuades most criminals from even targeting my family or myself.
Last: If I have to use itbecause of no other options.

Plus, I'm in DC everyday for work. My gun is not an option.

Pointman

imported post

My favorite line: [If] you wanna do one of these to the groin, it's okay; remember, it's your life.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks!

I felt good knowing all three of these were required for my hapkido belts.

The one thing they don't mention is that these are good if there's only one attacker. If there may be another around, you've made yourself vulnerable by going down with the attacker.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

gridboy wrote:
Always good to practice against potential attacks. My impression is that
it's very difficult to take a knife away from an attacker.

Here's an interesting perspective:

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifefighting.html

gridboy
Marc MacYoung offers some good advice in suggesting that you dfo not want to become involved with a knife. I would prefer not to have to explain how I know that to be true.

My thoughts currently are that if you cannot avoid/leave the knife fight you need to gain the lead in the OODA loop and keep it. Knife work is not a series of singular moves which you can respond to. It is a free-flowing avalance of motion, with the blade moving at 100+ mph. If you can get and stay inside the blade you may be able to use your MA skills. If you can stay outside te blade you may be able to counter with something that will provide an effective combination of defence and stopping.

Anybody that believes that the Teuller Drill's 21 feet will provide you with safety has not seen a prison-yard shanking. The issue is in keeping that 21-foot circle of cleared space around you - something that is difficult to do in a prison yard, in the mall, or in a parking lot confrontation.

Situational observance - always staying on at least Yellow Alert - will wear away at you after an hour, let alone the 16+ we are usually awake. That is why humans, as well as the lesser beasts, move in herds, and why members of the herd (except the young)move from the edges to the center and back out again. Everybody takes a turn being "on guard". I feel no shame or remorse in moving into the center of the herd knowing that those on the outside maybe sacrificedwhile allowing me a few precious seconds of warning time. When thepredators strike, it is everybody for themselves, and the herd has no problem sacrificing one member in order to protect the larger organism of the herd. (Yes, there are a few people that, if they are with me when TSHTF, I will try to protect along with myself. They know who they are - the rest of you are on your own.) TV wildlife shows are great places to see how fighting back, even against overwhelming odds, can increase the chance of survival - even if only momentarily. Either you will prevail against the predator, some from the herd will come to your aid and you will escape, or you will give up and be predator dinner.

Open carry has the same effect as do the big horns on the prey animals - it impresses those of its species with lesser or no horns, it intimidates the less-committed predators, and at times it comes in handy in responding to the attacking predator.

stay safe.

skidmark