• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in longmont area

davychanchan

imported post

i will be moving to longmont co in the next 3 months and am just curious as to their carry laws and how it is looked upon in the area.

mellow_c

imported post

Hi:)
I live in Longmont. And I have yet to Open Carry here, or anywhere for that matter. But I do see people OCing around here very occasionally. Not a very comon sight around here. But it would be great to see more people doing it. There are no strange rules against it here in longmont, aside from the standard, "not in a city building" rules. Hope to see you around!:D

Pat-inCO

imported post

davychanchan wrote:
i will be moving to longmont co in the next 3 months and am just curious as to their carry laws and how it is looked upon in the area.
Easy way to find out for sure is to call 303-651-8555 (LPD) and ask for dectectives.

See if you can talk with Greg (sorry I don't remember his last name) but he is also known as "Lumpy" (but don't tell him I told you :D ). Greg is low keyed and very easy to talk with. He is also not one to run you around. He will give you the straight story.

sailarmy

imported post

i personally wouldnt do it because when i was younger growing up in the longmont area the cops liked to harass the hell out of people for little stuff but if you can manage to keep a copy of the law with you and are ok with LEO encounters then i dont see why not

Pat-inCO

imported post

sailarmy wrote:
i personally wouldnt do it because when i was younger growing up in the longmont area the cops liked to harass the hell out of people for little stuff but if you can manage to keep a copy of the law with you and are ok with LEO encounters then i dont see why not
Having lived in Longmont for over thirty years I'll only say that I have experienced the exact opposite. :)

sailarmy

imported post

Pat-inCO wrote:
sailarmy wrote:
Having lived in Longmont for over thirty years I'll only say that I have experienced the exact opposite. :)
hmm i would always get stopped for one reason or another anything from 1mile over the speed limit to "just wanna ask you something" i t never failed i was always talking to a longmont cop

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

I open-carried in Longmont yesterday for National Open Carry Day, including the Longmont Symphony concert in Thompson Park. Nobody said a word.

I've never had any particularly bad experiences with the Longmont Police.

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
Welcome to the forums Rabbit!
Thanks, Ernie. I've been lurking for awhile, and I figured it was time to start getting involved. My wife and I applied for our CCWs in Weld County in May (her idea, amazingly enough, since she's always been really nervous around my guns), but I didn't want to wait for our permits to start carrying.

I've never seen anyone OC in Longmont, but I do remember an article in one of the Denver newspapers several years ago about a guy who open carries everywhere (the writer was amazed that carrying in a bank is OK!). Especially with the Heller case being in the public eye I think now's a good time to start exercising our 2A right and desensitizing folks to guns.