• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

12 year old boy kills mom's attacker with knife

Marco

imported post

Brave kid!
He did what he had to, with no formal training.

Under currentMD Law the mother would probably face charges for possession of a unregistered fiream and child endangerment since the gun was accessible to the youth.
The brave kid would probably be charged with possession, transporting and discharging a firearm.

Edit:
Wrote D.C. instead of MD.
Hardly any difference, especially when you factor in they might charge the boy.
Thanks for the update hsmith.

hsmith

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Brave kid!
He did what he had to, with no formal training.

Under current D.C. Law the mother would probably face charges for possession of a unregistered fiream and child endangerment since the gun was accessible to the youth.
The brave kid would probably be charged with possession, transporting and discharging a firearm.
spoke too soon!

Authorities Deciding Whether to Charge Boy, 12
April 2, 2008 - 10:52am

HYATTSVILLE, Md. (AP) - Law enforcement officials have not yet decided whether to file charges against a 12-year-old boy who fatally stabbed a man to protect his mother.

Cpl. Diane Richardson, a spokeswoman for Prince George's County police, said Wednesday that authorities were reviewing the case with the county's state's attorney's office.

The boy said he had been playing Monday night when he heard his mother scream out and went to her aid. He found her being choked by a fellow resident in their boarding house.

"I kept saying, 'Stop! Stop! Stop!'" the boy told The Washington Post. "But he just ignored me. He didn't stop. He just kept hurting her."

The boy said he took a knife and swung at the man, 64-year-old Salomon Noubissie, slashing him across the neck.

The mother, Cheryl Stamp, said she asked her son what he had done. "He didn't say anything," she said. "But I knew when I looked in his eyes. I said, 'Oh, Lord.' "

Police say they found Noubissie with a stab wound to the upper body. He was transported to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Rarely is a 12-year-old implicated in a homicide, and even less often does a child that age kill someone to protect his mother.

"In Maryland, there can be a legitimate defense of third parties in the event of a violent attack," State's Attorney Glenn F. Ivey told the newspaper. "That is a possibility in this case."

Stamp said she and Noubissie, a Cameroonian immigrant, moved into the boarding house in the Landover area about three months ago and were friends. Stamp said Noubissie had told her he was studying to be a psychiatrist.

But on Monday night, she said, he was acting differently. He started to yell at her and grab her hair.

"He threw me down and started choking me. I think that's when my son came in. ... He protected me," she said.

(Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

http://wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1378022

Maryland is such a complete DUMP.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"In Maryland, there can be a legitimate defense of third parties in the event of a violent attack," State's Attorney Glenn F. Ivey told the newspaper. "That is a possibility in this case."
Obscene that there is even a discussion about this. This should be a simple case of "there will be no charges and we commend him for acting so bravely to protect his mother."

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This was added to the end of the story when I looked this time.

http://wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1378022

Noubissie was combative with officers when they arrived, even as he was bleeding heavily, she said.

The boy said he was not happy with what happened but felt he had no choice.

"I told God that I had stabbed him because he was killing my mother. I know he understands, and I think he will keep us safe now."

Michigander

imported post

Good heavens that is sick. I'd like to kick the bastid in the nuts that even pondered charging the kid. What is this, the UK?