• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GMU says anyone carrying with permit with be asked to leave.

Statement from GMU changed your mind?

• No change - still going with the same carry method.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No change - still not going.

• Was not going, but will go now and CC.

• Was not going, but will go now and OC.

• Was not going, but will go now and not carry.

• Was going to OC, but will CC.

• Was going to CC, but will OC.

• Was going to OC, but will not carry.

• Was going to CC, but will not carry.

• Total voters

hsmith

imported post

Looks like an unlawful arrest suit waiting to happen.

Don't these "educated" people understand what "public funds" are :banghead:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

possumboy wrote:
Sorry, this statute is not directly applicable to state agencies like GMU - but the doctrine of state agency power weighs against their gun ban, at least a total gun ban in buildings that they have eneacted, as outlined in the AG opinion at http://www.vcdl.org/pdf/OP-05-078.pdf("In light of the General Assembly’s specific statements regarding the limits of carrying concealed handguns and the grant of authority to colleges and universities to regulate the conduct of students and employees, it is my opinion that neither a board of visitors nor a president of a public college or university may infer authority from its enabling legislation to adopt a universal prohibition of carrying concealed handguns by holders with valid permits.").

possumboy

imported post

Mike wrote:
Sorry, this statute is not directly applicable to state agencies like GMU - but the doctrine of state agency power weighs against their gun ban, at least a total gun ban in buildings that they have eneacted, as outlined in the AG opinion at http://www.vcdl.org/pdf/OP-05-078.pdf ("In light of the General Assembly’s specific statements regarding the limits of carrying concealed handguns and the grant of authority to colleges and universities to regulate the conduct of students and employees, it is my opinion that neither a board of visitors nor a president of a public college or university may infer authority from its enabling legislation to adopt a universal prohibition of carrying concealed handguns by holders with valid permits.").
Since the opinion refers to concealed carry, do they have the ability to limit open carry with or with a valid permit?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

possumboy wrote:
Mike wrote:
Sorry, this statute is not directly applicable to state agencies like GMU - but the doctrine of state agency power weighs against their gun ban, at least a total gun ban in buildings that they have eneacted, as outlined in the AG opinion at http://www.vcdl.org/pdf/OP-05-078.pdf ("In light of the General Assembly’s specific statements regarding the limits of carrying concealed handguns and the grant of authority to colleges and universities to regulate the conduct of students and employees, it is my opinion that neither a board of visitors nor a president of a public college or university may infer authority from its enabling legislation to adopt a universal prohibition of carrying concealed handguns by holders with valid permits.").
Since the opinion refers to concealed carry, do they have the ability to limit open carry with or with a valid permit?
The opinion is not a model of clarity, but does note that OC is legal in VA and on college campuses - read thru it carefully and you will see that it's conclusion is awfully college bureacrat sided.

VApatriot

imported post

I forgot to post it, but I OCedat GMUon Monday to hear Larry Pratt. I walked right through the main entrance and up the center staircaseof the Johnson Centerat a verybusy time. There were people everywhere, but I was not stopped or spoken to by anyone.

I plan to go again tonight. I won't be surprised to see GMUpolice waiting at the entrance this time now that the event has made the news. I have abad, gutfeeling that I might be in for my first negative OC encounter.:banghead:

BTW, I DO NOT have a CHP.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Remember - the GMU regulation only bans guns in buldings and sporting events - on campus grounds (sidewalks and grass) is 100% AOK under GMU reg!

VApatriot

imported post

Mike wrote:
Remember - the GMU regulation only bans guns in buldings and sporting events - on campus grounds (sidewalks and grass) is 100% AOK under GMU reg!
Are you implying by this thatGMU'sadministrativeban does carry legal weight for non-students or faculty that carry in the buildings?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

VApatriot wrote:
Mike wrote:
Are you implying by this thatGMU'sadministrativeban does carry legal weight for non-students or faculty that carry in the buildings?
Possibly yes, though the ban is overbroad even under the AG opinion b/c that opinion allowed a ban only for "class room buildings).

VApatriot

imported post

At least one other OCer and myself, and who knows how many CCers, were there yesterday and nothing happened. Either GMU is that clueless about what is going on around them, or they do not feel that they could get away with actually trying to enforce their ban.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I went to Ike's tonight at about 3 AM. For those who don't know, Ike's is a late-night diner on the GMU campus, in "President's Park."

When I first walked in I got a few eyes to the hip, but no serious attention. After ordering, I walked down the counter to wait for my food. There were a couple of (really cool) black guys serving orders from behind the counter. One of them asks if I'm carrying a 9mm. I tell him, no, I'm carrying a .45, a 1911 to be exact. He's about to ask if I have a license, when the other guy informs him that, as long as it's visible, no license is needed to carry in Virginia. I was pleased to have the words taken out of my mouth, for once!

At this point in the conversation, one of the cooks, a young white guy, enters the conversation and comments on my knowledge of the law (I had been telling them about GMU's position on campus carry and how it relates to state law), talking about how you need to take classes to carry. I was inclined to agree with him, in reference to most people's ignorance about state law, when he goes on to say that classes are a requirement of the license. I tried to explain that no license is required for open carry, but he didn't seem to believe me. Fortunately, his co-workers had no problem trusting my brief explanation of the law.

After eating my burger, I was still hungry, so I waited in line to order another. While I was waiting for my food, a couple of girls came up and asked if they could take their picture with me. Ordinarily I'm not much for photos being taken of my person, but I felt as an ambassador for open carry on GMU campus it would be better to politely consent.

That was really the end of the attention I got. If there was any doubt in your mind, I can confirm that the students were much more interested in their late-night burgers than in my presence. ;)

Edit: No CHP here, either.

Neplusultra

imported post

marshaul wrote:
After eating my burger, I was still hungry, so I waited in line to order another. While I was waiting for my food, a couple of girls came up and asked if they could take their picture with me. Ordinarily I'm not much for photos being taken of my person, but I felt as an ambassador for open carry on GMU campus it would be better to politely consent.
Very good! BTW, did you get any phone numbers - invite them out to the range :^)?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

VApatriot wrote:
I forgot to post it, but I OCedat GMUon Monday to hear Larry Pratt. I walked right through the main entrance and up the center staircaseof the Johnson Centerat a verybusy time. There were people everywhere, but I was not stopped or spoken to by anyone.

I plan to go again tonight. I won't be surprised to see GMUpolice waiting at the entrance this time now that the event has made the news. I have abad, gutfeeling that I might be in for my first negative OC encounter.:banghead:

BTW, I DO NOT have a CHP.
So what, if anything happened the second night. Did you or others OC or CC and were there any problems. I'm hoping that it was a typical non-event.

Yata hey

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Very good! BTW, did you get any phone numbers - invite them out to the range :^)?

lol no phone numbers. I guess the encounter didn't last long enough for that!

But don't worry, I've already turned one woman who was dubious about OC into a woman planning to buy a gun. That's progress. :)

nova

imported post

marshaul wrote:
I went to Ike's tonight at about 3 AM. For those who don't know, Ike's is a late-night diner on the GMU campus, in "President's Park."

When I first walked in I got a few eyes to the hip, but no serious attention. After ordering, I walked down the counter to wait for my food. There were a couple of (really cool) black guys serving orders from behind the counter. One of them asks if I'm carrying a 9mm. I tell him, no, I'm carrying a .45, a 1911 to be exact. He's about to ask if I have a license, when the other guy informs him that, as long as it's visible, no license is needed to carry in Virginia. I was pleased to have the words taken out of my mouth, for once!

At this point in the conversation, one of the cooks, a young white guy, enters the conversation and comments on my knowledge of the law (I had been telling them about GMU's position on campus carry and how it relates to state law), talking about how you need to take classes to carry. I was inclined to agree with him, in reference to most people's ignorance about state law, when he goes on to say that classes are a requirement of the license. I tried to explain that no license is required for open carry, but he didn't seem to believe me. Fortunately, his co-workers had no problem trusting my brief explanation of the law.

That was really the end of the attention I got. If there was any doubt in your mind, I can confirm that the students were much more interested in their late-night burgers than in my presence. ;)

Edit: No CHP here, either.
I love their chicken sandwich....people who work there are friendly too.

nova

imported post

yeah I've found myself going there occasionally at 1am because it's better than what I can get out of the vending machines late at night :D