• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many of You play this game?

Sheldon

imported post

I asked this question on a different forum and decided to ask it here...

So the other morning after dropping the wife off to teach school I had some free time on my hands before the auto parts store opened, and went to a fast food place for a sandwich.

There was only one other person in the building and while siting and eating looking over the room I as usual play the "Whats wrong with this picture" and the "What if / what are my options" game.

So how many of you play this game when out and about?

expvideo

imported post

When I notice people playing that game, I like to look suspicious and nervously unbotton the top button of my jacket.

:pjk

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm always playing that game, except I just call it life. Just like when I am driving in a car, I am always watching for my out, planning for the emergency maneuver, trying to anticipate what stupid things people around me might do, etc.

Wow, no wonder I am so tired all the time....

Beau

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I'm always playing that game, except I just call it life. Just like when I am driving in a car, I am always watching for my out, planning for the emergency maneuver, trying to anticipate what stupid things people around me might do, etc.

I agree. It's just like driving. I don't see it as a game. When I walk into a store or a room, without even thinking about it I get a feel of how many people are there. Does anyone seem threatening. Whos doing what ect...I don't see everything but at least on some level I'm paying attention.

Speaking of paying attention. I work for HHgreg and walked into one of the stores today while oc'ing. I'm related to a salesperson at this particular store and stood there for 30 minutes talking to him before he realized I was oc'ing. I doubt if any of the other sales people noticed, but if they did, they said nothing.

Anyway, after the he noticed he flipped out. He said that I had better leave right now because it's against company policy for an employee to carry a handgun on company property. I told him that I was off the clock and not in uniform and asked how could they fire me? He just said they could and would. So I asked that since males wearing earings is against policy, would they fire me for that too? That only stopped him for a second before he went off again. oh well.

There is another point to this. It took someone who knows I regularly carry andOC 30 minutes to realize I was carrying. Where do people get off saying that OC'ing makes you a target to criminals? Most people don't notice at all. Anti OC'ers make it sound like OC'ing changes the color of your skin and everyone automatically knows your carrying a firearm.:banghead:

I'd go on but the woman wants the PC to do homework.

LEO 229

imported post

I never play that game...

I just go out into the world and hope that my nerves of steel, my cat like reflexes, and lightening fast reaction speed will help me get by.

:dude:

Kidding!!! Most cops play that game. It is the same as taking martial arts where you learn to block punches and sweep legs at the right time. Your brain just needs to play it over and over until you just DO IT!!! when the time comes.

LEO 229

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
I liketo look at girls.
They play their own games...

If that guy tries to ask me out... I could fake a phone call and walk away. :lol:

dt

imported post

Sure. Like others have related it to driving - I remember in Driver's Training class they taught that we should always look for an 'out'. Like "ok if that oncoming car crosses the centerline I'm going to...".

I find myself doing that sometimes just out and about with regards to self-defense.

Its easy to think of no-brainer situations, like some wackopulling a knife and making threatening motions towards my wife. Not a whole lot of questions as to what my immediate course of action will be. But I'm sure many situations would be much less clear:

Like if I hear shots from the front of the grocery store all of a sudden, what am I going to do?

We are sitting in church and someone bursts in spraying with an AK, what am I going to do?

I work late and leave the office, and there is an obviously high-on-something individual staggering around the area of my truck shouting violently. My handgun is in my vehicle. What do I do?

For me it centers on protecting my wife and children, obviously. Interesting food for thought.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:

LOL...me too. In the Navy we called it ORM:Operational Risk Management and used to do it all the time. It goes by many names, ORM, Risk/Benefit Assessment, etc.

We al do it to some degree every day. Can I make it through that light? With or without speeding? Am I in a hurry? ect....

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My fiancee knows I typically practice a high degree of situational awareness, essentially playing the "game" described in the OP, and worries sometimes how her presence would effect my actions.

A few weeks ago while we are out shopping we were talking about situational awareness and the fact that she likes to "wander off" in stores and look at stuff not on the shopping list - sort of like shopping with an excited 6 year-old who has your bank account number. She started playing "the game" just wearing me out. Finally she asked what I would do if she wandered off a few aisles and was attacked by a man.

I told her that as I wouldn't feel right shooting her, the attacker her was just going to take his a$$ wuppin' and learn his lesson.

She asked why I was so sure that she would win. I told her that after seeing her beat the hell out of so many dead horses, I figure a bad guy doesn't stand a chance.

She didn't want to play anymore after that.

Bullbuster

imported post

Given my line of work its become second nature to me. Even more so now given a recent return from 7 months to the big litter box. When eating out I always have to sit with my back to a wall so I can see the entrance and as much of the room as possible. As we say in the aviation bizz we always have our head on a swivel.

Sa45auto

imported post

My wife automatically heads to the appropriate table or booth allowing me to sit in the "power" chair....

As with others....its not a game....but life.

LEO 229

imported post

Sa45auto wrote:
My wife automatically heads to the appropriate table or booth allowing me to sit in the "power" chair....

Mine will ask where I want to sit. She knows I need to be in a position to observe any possible threats.

Sa45auto

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Sa45auto wrote:

Mine will ask where I want to sit. She knows I need to be in a position to observe any possible threats.

Are our wives sisters or something?....

What ever they are they are keepers. ;)

LEO 229

imported post

Sa45auto wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Sa45auto wrote:

Are our wives sisters or something?....

What ever they are they are keepers. ;)
You got that right!! Mine let's me buy all the guns I like and she loves her guns too.

Rey

imported post

dt wrote:
Sure. Like others have related it to driving - I remember in Driver's Training class they taught that we should always look for an 'out'. Like "ok if that oncoming car crosses the centerline I'm going to...".

I find myself doing that sometimes just out and about with regards to self-defense.

Its easy to think of no-brainer situations, like some wackopulling a knife and making threatening motions towards my wife. Not a whole lot of questions as to what my immediate course of action will be. But I'm sure many situations would be much less clear:

Like if I hear shots from the front of the grocery store all of a sudden, what am I going to do?

We are sitting in church and someone bursts in spraying with an AK, what am I going to do?

I work late and leave the office, and there is an obviously high-on-something individual staggering around the area of my truck shouting violently. My handgun is in my vehicle. What do I do?

For me it centers on protecting my wife and children, obviously. Interesting food for thought.
HOLY CRAP I DO THAT TOO! HAHAHA!:D