• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carriers Needed For LA Times Interview

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I have been contacted by a reporter from the LA Times who is doing an article on the open carry movement. I have given him history and background and now he wants to spend some time with an open carrier or group of open carriers from one of the following states: UT, CO, NM, AZ, WY, KS, NE, ND, SD.

Are there any get togethers or groups in these states who would be willing to host this reporter for a safe, informative and ambassadorial afternoon of shooting followed by an open carry dinner?

Respond here and PM me your phone number and I will give you a call to talk about the specifics.

PS. ONLY those states!

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Carondalet wrote:
May I ask WHY only those states?

Louisiana

The LA Times reporter that has been assigned the story is assigned those states as his territory.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

steveforopen wrote:
is it the Los Angeles Times?

If so, I'm in Southern California and could assist if needed.

Thanks for the heads up JP

URGENT: Open Carriers Needed For LA Times Interview
Let's make Utah the National example to follow!

Yup, we're havin' an OC meet with an L.A Times reporter here in Utah:celebrate. Nice to get a National recognition finally.

TJ

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

jpierce wrote:
I have been contacted by a reporter from the LA Times who is doing an article on the open carry movement. I have given him history and background and now he wants to spend some time with an open carrier or group of open carriers from one of the following states: UT, CO, NM, AZ, WY, KS, NE, ND, SD.

PS. ONLY those states!
LA Times coveringopen carry inUT, CO, NM, AZ, WY, KS, NE, ND, SD? Cool. It will be good to havetheir attention. But can we be sure to tell them that there is open carry activity here in California as well? Id appreciate the mention.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
jpierce wrote:

PS. ONLY those states!
LA Times coveringopen carry inUT, CO, NM, AZ, WY, KS, NE, ND, SD? Cool. It will be good to havetheir attention. But can we be sure to tell them that there is open carry activity here in California as well? Id appreciate the mention.
I covered that with him when I did the background interview. The article is going to be on the open carry movement ACROSS THE COUNTRY.

The reason he is looking for people to actually visit in those states is that those states are his territory.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

jpierce wrote:
I covered that with him when I did the background interview. The article is going to be on the open carry movement ACROSS THE COUNTRY.

The reason he is looking for people to actually visit in those states is that those states are his territory.
Thank you JP.:D

apjonas

imported post

You do realize that your words and attitudes are going to be distorted beyond recognition? I wouldn't do it. If you are determined to participate, record (preferably video) the entire session and have three impartial witnesses. And if told something is off the record, it isn't. When the interviewer turns off the tape recorder on the table, the one in his pocket is still going.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

apjonas wrote:
You do realize that your words and attitudes are going to be distorted beyond recognition? I wouldn't do it. If you are determined to participate, record (preferably video) the entire session and have three impartial witnesses. And if told something is off the record, it isn't. When the interviewer turns off the tape recorder on the table, the one in his pocket is still going.
Whoaaaa nelly - where is this coming from? Open Carry had benifitted positively from publicity from the beginning. Chillllllllllllllllllllllll. No need to be paranoid with the media, just be your relaxed and your natural self!

apjonas

imported post

Are you kidding? Have you ever watched 60 Minutes? Dateline? Read just about any general circulation newspaper? I also have the experience of an interview about an innocuous subject (a foot bridge over a small, local stream). I didn't recognize my own words. Quotation marks have no meaning to some journalists. What favorable publicity? I haven't seen it from any mainstream media source. Expecting it from the LA Times (unless it's the Los Alamos Times you're referring to) is a pipe dream. If the story is unable to be pretzeledinto an anti-gun screed, it will be bland and appear on page D99 (if at all). If radio, expect selective editing and time shifting to create brand new sentences that reverse the sentiment of the original. If I turn out to be wrong, you will have an apology post-haste. All you have to do is remember the AWB (semi-auto"assault weapons" are machine guns, that "spray" bullets) stories to see my point.

Mike wrote:
apjonas wrote:
Whoaaaa nelly - where is this coming from? Open Carry had benifitted positively from publicity from the beginning. Chillllllllllllllllllllllll. No need to be paranoid with the media, just be your relaxed and your natural self!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

apjonas wrote:
Are you kidding? Have you ever watched 60 Minutes? Dateline? Read just about any general circulation newspaper? I also have the experience of an interview about an innocuous subject (a foot bridge over a small, local stream). I didn't recognize my own words. Quotation marks have no meaning to some journalists. What favorable publicity? I haven't seen it from any mainstream media source.
I guess you don't get out much - see, e.g.,http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum63.

Almost all publicity is good publicity anyway. This story will highlight the growing national open carry movement - so far, all of our members have been great amnassadors for the movement on video and print media - and will do just fine, thank you.

apjonas

imported post

Mike wrote:

I guess you don't get out much - see, e.g.,http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum63.

No need to get nasty. I hardly consider this story "positive" given the number of quotes from opponents of OC. But even if I concede this point, one swallow does not Spring make.

Almost all publicity is good publicity anyway. This story will highlight the growing national open carry movement - so far, all of our members have been great amnassadors for the movement on video and print media - and will do just fine, thank you.

If you believe that first sentence, I can only state that I think otherwise. You imply that somehow my comments are a dig at the interviewees or OC movement. Not at all. I am sure someone with extensive media experience such as yourself or Mr. Van Cleve would do just fine. For the rest of us, it is a mismatch. These people earn money by interviewing. They know how to get what they want and I don't think that what they want is what you want. I wish the best for all participants and the end product however caution is called for.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

apjonas wrote:
Mike wrote:

I guess you don't get out much - see, e.g.,apjonas, we had some positive articles when we had Deseret News and Salt Lake Tribune at our Meets @ Red Robin (Provo Towne Center Mall) and @ Golden Corral in Layton.

I believe this will be a Great and Awesome opportunity for the U.S to know about out Rights. We sure have a Great OC group here in Utah and well behaved even so.

TJ

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wouldn't it be a good idea to look into some of the journalist's past work? Perhaps some idea of his attitude towards gun ownership and/or carry could be gleaned from such an effort.

I imagine it would probably be easy to find every article he wrote for the LA Times if you knew his name...