• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-resident open carry

reefteach

imported post

Yep. The carry rights of residents are the same as non-residents within the state borders. BUT, the laws are much better outside any of the borders.

Samuel Adams

imported post

I will be travelling to visit my parents in Belmont County. Ohio does not have reciprocity with Georgia so I intend to OC as much as possible.Since I ama former employee of the county 911 center, I know most of the LEOs so it shouldn't be an issue.

Mark.44

imported post

I read that you need to have a permit to open carry in Ohio? "Firearms may be openly carried in cars only with a permit/license"Is this alsocorrect if you are walking? If so what would one from another state do to OC? CC? I am being transferred to Toledo in a month and I'm trying to learn the gun lawsthere. I have a CHL in Texas but, Ohio does not honor this. Also, can anyone recommend a shooting range in or aroundToledo? Thanks in advance...

Legba

imported post

Transportation of a firearm in a vehicle is legally different from carrying one on foot. Big distinction legally here. I'm just winding down a 7-month long legal ordeal over this very issue. Get a permit if you want a loaded gun in the car (or even an unloaded one in proximity to any ammo you're transporting together). I don't know if Ohio gives non-resident permits, but you can get a non-resident one from a state with which we have a reciprocity agreement (e.g. Florida). The short answer is that OC on foot without a permit (or with an unrecognized out-of-state issued one) is legal, irrespective of residency.

The actual text of the relevant gun laws for Ohio are in the "weapons control" section of the Ohio Revised Code (ORC), linked here: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.

I don't know about any ranges around Toledo, sorry. I'm down at the river end of the state.

-ljp

markgasmo

imported post

what about open carry on your person when in a vehicle? i have 2 out of state carrypermits, (NY & PA: both not recognized in OH)

ill be traveling through OH, mostly on interstates.

if im out of the car i can carry, but as soon as i enter, im to unload and store my firearm?

im planning a trip and just want to know...

Legba

imported post

Once you are in a vehicle with a gun, it falls under transportation, and not carrying as such. Open vs. concealed is then moot. You need either to have a recognized permit or to unload and secure the weapon and ammo every time (the magazine shuffle). Good luck.

-ljp

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

I posted on another thread:

Ohio Revised Code § 2923.16 regulates in detail precisely how a firearm may be legally transported in a vehicle. Section 2923.11 provides many definitions applicable to Ohio's weapons laws.

Until SB 184 takes effect on September 8, 2008, the current law is in effect.

One of the biggest problems in CHL or a CHL issued by a reciprocal state is that various court decisions and police policies have rendered it impossible to transport in the same vehicle, regardless of the degree of physical separation, both a firearm and ammunition capable of being discharged from that firearm. SB 184, which does not take effect until September 8, provides a partial fix for that problem. Similarly, the Firearm Owner's Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. § 926A (for definitions, see 18 U.S.C. § 921), lacks a clear definition for an unloaded firearm that is not helpful for your situation.

The Buckeye Firearms Association's analysis of SB 184 contains information about the horrible state of the current law on firearm transportation in vehicles.

Harper1227

imported post

Hi. just have some general OC/CC questions for you Ohio folks.

Coming to Ohio this weekend. I have a VA CWP. Can I drive with a loaded/chambered gun? Holstered? glovebox? lap? Do I need to conceal? is it considered concealed if i have it holstered on my hip in a vehicle?

will i have trouble if I OC. Ill be in Columbus for a day or two and in Beverly (south east) for a couple days. I usually OC but will CC if Its not allowed.

if i get out of my car to pump gas, am i gonna be harrassed? have the cops called?

thanks!