• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Inside Waist open carry

Eeyore

imported post

I normally carry concealed in an IWB holster. When switching to OC, I just tuck in my shirt. (morphing)

IWBs with a leather backing (like mine, the Crossbreed Supertuck, http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/beltslide.html) are much more comfortable, and also IMHO help the weapon to "stand out" visually by providing a light-colored leatherbackground when OCing. Still, many people don't even notice I'm wearing it, since I wear the holster at 4 o'clock, but it is completely visible and distinguishable. I have never had any problems (legal or functional) operating this way. On the other hand, wearing a black shirt while carrying a black weapon in a black nylon El Cheapo IWB that allows the weapon to ride low enough that you can't see much of the butt could arguably be concealing. Of course, a holster riding that low would be almost impossible to draw from, but you get the point.

Thedownside to IWBs, as I see it,is that CCW holsters like mine don't have any retention feature (like SERPA) to prevent somebody from grabbing the weapon. Therefore, I must maintain heightened awareness of people's proximity to my 4 o'clock anytime I'm OCing.

There isn't any one holster that works for everybody in every situation. So, how many holsters do you need, and which kind(s)? Depends on you (your carry habits/intentions, your body shape), what kind of clothing you typically wear,and the size of your weapon. A full-size 1911 wouldn't be easy for a skinny guy like me to conceal, no matter what holster I used. Conversely, there aren't a lot of [decent] retention holsters designed for open, outside-the-belt carry made for subcompact autos.

Bottom line, my IWBis all I need for the wayI carry. If I wanted to do more OC activism and carry more obtrusively, I would have to buy (1) another pistol and (2) a belt holster better-suited to OC.

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As has been stated, get a quality holster if you plan on IWB. I carry a 1911Gov without a problem. When I first looked into IWB, I picked up a cheap holster to see how it would feel and almost gave up. The design left a bruised line down my hip from the stabilizer that aids in reholstering... Ask around, someone may have an older IWB you could borrow for a little while to form your own opinion.

mobeewan

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
It depends an the gun you're carrying.

botach_1993_1980659

I use it when I carry a short grip1911, Colt CCO (Officers grip with a Commanders length slide) and find it extremely comfortable and secure.
IMHO the short barrel (under 3")guns with this holster create a wedge feeling, it also works great with a fullsized 1911.
A friend uses it for his G23 and loves it.

My only complaint was the holster absorbing sweat.
(when holster was against skin, no tucked in shirt and the NV heat)

I have 2 royal guard holsters. One for a 5 inch 1911 Colt Govt model I used to carry and still have. The other is for a colt officers I bought to use to carry a compact STI a friend built which is similar to their STI 3.9 VIP. It is about 1/4 inch longer than a Colt Officers model and holds 10 to 12 rounds of .45 depending on the magizine I carry. Mine has the short STI grip that makes it the same height as the grip on the 5 inch. Since the STI has a square trigger guard I had to cut the stitching on the holster where the trigger guard is located and I have not gotten it restitched square yet. I found another holster at one of the Hampton Gun shows that was made for a square trigger guard and the gun fits in it well. I bought it from Backwoods Leather. I don't remember his name but the guy is located in Portsmouth and makes custom leather holsters and magazine holders and is always at the gun shows in Hampton and the Showplace in Richmond. The holster I bought is his model number DBLEC, which I believe stands for Colt Double Eagle Commander length. It is for IWB and has a metal spring steel belt clip sewn into it. The holster is designed to make the gun set straighter than the Royal Guard, but is still tipped forward a little. When I put the holster on I can tip the gun forward more so it sits like the Royal Guard an it stays there all day. The only problem I have with any of the holsters is when it is hot and I sweat I start to itch after about 3 hours, but in the winter when cool it is fine for several hours. The main reason for going with these holsters is I wanted IWB and I am a big guy and the wide beaver tail grip safety would dig into my love handle with other IWB holsters that made the guns sit straighter. With these holsters it doesn't dig in. All 3 holsters as shown in Agent 19's picture have plenty of the gun above the belt line to identify it as a gun. When my freind finishes the STI Commander he is building for me it will fit the Backwoods holster I use. I may still get a Royal Guard in Commander length for it and cut and resew the trigger guard stitching or get Backwoods Leather to make another holster with more forward tilt. Either one works for me.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

savery wrote:
I've found that the biggest problem with IWB holsters is that THEY'RE UNCOMFORTABLE!!!!!
the exception is my makarov tucked in the small of my back if i'm CCing and wearing a jacket.

Friends don't let friends use IWB holsters...

I carry IWB every day in a custom kydex holster made by RM Holsterworks. Its called the low rider IWB ($50) and I sometimes forget that I'm carrying its so comfortable.

http://www.rmholsters.com/

Jim

kg4bhr

imported post

mobeewan wrote:
I have 2 royal guard holsters. One for a 5 inch 1911 Colt Govt model I used to carry and still have. The other is for a colt officers I bought to use to carry a compact STI a friend built which is similar to their STI 3.9 VIP. It is about 1/4 inch longer than a Colt Officers model and holds 10 to 12 rounds of .45 depending on the magizine I carry. Mine has the short STI grip that makes it the same height as the grip on the 5 inch. Since the STI has a square trigger guard I had to cut the stitching on the holster where the trigger guard is located and I have not gotten it restitched square yet. I found another holster at one of the Hampton Gun shows that was made for a square trigger guard and the gun fits in it well. I bought it from Backwoods Leather. I don't remember his name but the guy is located in Portsmouth and makes custom leather holsters and magazine holders and is always at the gun shows in Hampton and the Showplace in Richmond. The holster I bought is his model number DBLEC, which I believe stands for Colt Double Eagle Commander length. It is for IWB and has a metal spring steel belt clip sewn into it. The holster is designed to make the gun set straighter than the Royal Guard, but is still tipped forward a little. When I put the holster on I can tip the gun forward more so it sits like the Royal Guard an it stays there all day. The only problem I have with any of the holsters is when it is hot and I sweat I start to itch after about 3 hours, but in the winter when cool it is fine for several hours. The main reason for going with these holsters is I wanted IWB and I am a big guy and the wide beaver tail grip safety would dig into my love handle with other IWB holsters that made the guns sit straighter. With these holsters it doesn't dig in. All 3 holsters as shown in Agent 19's picture have plenty of the gun above the belt line to identify it as a gun. When my freind finishes the STI Commander he is building for me it will fit the Backwoods holster I use. I may still get a Royal Guard in Commander length for it and cut and resew the trigger guard stitching or get Backwoods Leather to make another holster with more forward tilt. Either one works for me.

I have to agree with you on the Backwoods Leather holsters. I had 2 Royal Guard holsters,one for the 5" 1911 and the other for the 4" SA XD .45, I was not happy with the comfort of either one.

I talked to Jim Kirk of Backwoods Leather and he invited me to try one of his holsters and I have been hooked ever since. I have since then given away both Galco holsters and use only the Backwoods LeatherIWB holsters with the metal clip. Ialso purchased a pocket holster for my J frame S&W from Jim and could not be happier with any of them.

Edited to add : Jim is usually at the Chantilly Gun Show as well.