• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

S+W Boycott

Do you continue to boycott S+W?

• Yes, because of the Clinton Deal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Forgive and forget. I was boycotting but stoppped

• I never boycotted S+W

• I don't buy S+W but for other reasons

• Total voters

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

sprat wrote:
keep up the boycott, to teach the others.
If the owners and managers who made the deal were still the owners and managers I would agree. However, punishing new ownership and management which, by all accounts I have read and based on their behavior are on our side, with a boycott of the previous regmine's acts seems to me to be misguided at best. There are numerous businesses and organizations that have lost their way, so to speak, and have redeemed themselves under new ownership/management. I have read nothing of S&W since the 2001 purchase to indicate that the company intends to tread down the former path. Unless there is some proof that S&W has or intends to reprieve the acts of previous ownership/managment I think a continued boycott is merely vindictive and malicious at this point.

sjhipple

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
sprat wrote:
If the owners and managers who made the deal were still the owners and managers I would agree. However, punishing new ownership and management which, by all accounts I have read and based on their behavior are on our side, with a boycott of the previous regmine's acts seems to me to be misguided at best. There are numerous businesses and organizations that have lost their way, so to speak, and have redeemed themselves under new ownership/management. I have read nothing of S&W since the 2001 purchase to indicate that the company intends to tread down the former path. Unless there is some proof that S&W has or intends to reprieve the acts of previous ownership/managment I think a continued boycott is merely vindictive and malicious at this point.

I think Sprat has a point. It should be a long and hard road for S+W to get back their good name. There should be long-lasting consequences. Otherwise, other manufacturers will think it will quickly blow over if they do the same thing. Even under new management, because the deal is still technically in place, I am much more hesitant to buy an S+W. I've actually passed up S+W's because of the deal.

The day that the deal gets officialy rescinded is the day I go out and buy an S+W.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ama-gi wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
sprat wrote:

I think Sprat has a point. It should be a long and hard road for S+W to get back their good name. There should be long-lasting consequences. Otherwise, other manufacturers will think it will quickly blow over if they do the same thing. Even under new management, because the deal is still technically in place, I am much more hesitant to buy an S+W. I've actually passed up S+W's because of the deal.

The day that the deal gets officialy rescinded is the day I go out and buy an S+W.
S&W cannot recind the deal. In my earlier post I discussed the current S&W's position that it is non-enforcable, that it has never been enforced and that if DOJ or HUD try to enforce it S&W has legal grounds to fight it. This is 7 years later with new management. Seven years is a long time for most businesses.

I was seeing someone I cared about very deeply who had trust issues from a prior relationship. Despite my never giving her a shred of reason to doubt me, as freely admitted by her, she still went off on "I don't know that I can trust you" rants. I finally asked her at what point will she trust me. What could I do? How long do I have to "prove" my faithfulness before you trust me? She said, "I don't know." I told her that "I don't know" was too long and I can't live that way and left the relationship.

This is a similar concept. The original betrayers are no longer involved. S&W's current owners and management have been faithful to us and our cause. So how long? How long before they are forgiven for the prior sins of others no longer involved? How much longer do they have to be faithful to us before the boycotters let it go?

*For the record, I don't have a dog in this fight beyond hating to see us "eat our own" - the only S&W I have has been in my family nearly 100 years and I am not planning to buy one in the near future.

ArmedTiger

imported post

It was one of Jr Bush's first things when he got elected for his first term. He nullified it saying that it was unenforcible and unconstitutional. The company was owned by a British (surprise, surprise) company at the time the deal was struck. The president of the company at the time made the deal without consulting any of the other management team which caused a lot of them to leave. One was the current president. I say why blame the whole company and its workers who need jobs to feed their families for what one already overly rich jerk did? That jerk, by the way is no longer with S&W and has not been since an American company bought it.

sprat

imported post

The art of personal destruction is a trait of the democratic party!!!!! and James Carville

If you took my opinion as a personal attack you are mistaken

S&W semi-auto's are junk I don't care who owns them or what police agency uses them IMHO and yes S&W PPK/S have been plagued with problems unlike the ORIGINALS

the subject matter is would you boycott S&W!! apparently you folks who own new S & W guns where asleep at the wheel whenS&W sold us out. Sorta like a son of a survivor of the Battan Death March buying a Honda

Sprat

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

sprat wrote:
The art of personal destruction is a trait of the democratic party!!!!! and James Carville

If you took my opinion as a personal attack you are mistaken

S&W semi-auto's are junk I don't care who owns them or what police agency uses them IMHO and yes S&W PPK/S have been plagued with problems unlike the ORIGINALS

the subject matter is would you boycott S&W!! apparently you folks who own new S & W guns where asleep at the wheel whenS&W sold us out. Sorta like a son of a survivor of the Battan Death March buying a Honda

Sprat
Ok, that's twice you've decided to run your mouth with nothing to back it up. Having trouble reading are we? I'll try this one more time nicely: Show us the proof to back up your claims.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

sprat wrote:
keep up the boycott, to teach the others. Bill Ruger when he was alive sold us out on the assault weapons. I won't buy those products either

S&W Walther PPK/S copies are JUNK, step up to the plate be a real man and get REAL WALTHER,

all S&W semi-auto handguns are junk. IMHO

sprat

PEACE!!

DreQuo; Custodian,

I think I've tangled with Sprat before, myself. But in this case, as can be clearly seen in the quote, he was offering his humble opinion.

Sprat,

Making disparaging comments about a product that is just bound to have a zillion loyal followers is practically guaranteed to piss off at least somebodyand start a fight. I appreciate the "IMHO." For some subjects, even that might not be enough.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ahem..it's DreQo. There's no U in my name over there. Anyway, in case you missed it Citizen, Sprat here blatantly stated that I'm not a real man because of the gun I own, so I'm really not sure why you're backing him up.

Anyway he's also claiming that 2 of my sidearms are pieces of junk and destined to fail. Obviously I'd like to see proof of these claims since it involves something I own and carry. Now I've given him two chances to back his comments up, and I'm waiting.

Legba

imported post

sprat wrote:
S&W semi-auto's are junk...

Sprat

As for S&W guns being junk, I did recently break mine, but then I was using out-of-spec ammo, so I'm not sure that was their fault.

As for Honda buyers, my dad wasn't at Bataan specifically, but he is a Pacific Theater WWII vet, and he still owns a Mitsubishi television and I've owned Hondas...

-ljp