• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GUN SHOW

Tomahawk

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Last time I went to a gun show at Dulles a round went off. I and the people around me never did figure out if it was a live or a blank, and where exactly it came from.

Does anybody remember that?

Oh yes, Bohdi and I were both off to the side, talking, when it happened. People were ducking.

I later heard that the building had been struck by lightning; if you recall there was a hellacious thunderstorm outside at the time.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Last time I went to a gun show at Dulles a round went off. I and the people around me never did figure out if it was a live or a blank, and where exactly it came from.

Oh yes, Bohdi and I were both off to the side, talking, when it happened. People were ducking.

I later heard that the building had been struck by lightning; if you recall there was a hellacious thunderstorm outside at the time.
+1 I was there too.

nova

imported post

I normally only go to the show on Friday, but I did hear about that happening that weekend. Yep there was a thunderstorm if I recall correctly.

I can't wait for the show...I have to make a list of everything I want to get so I don't forget...lots of stuff on my mind!

captkirk9195

imported post

Another stupid question. In VA, I know from a dealer, you can only buy one gun every 30 days. Does this apply to private sales???? (ex, buy a gun from a dealer on day 1, can you buy a gun from an indivual (not shop) before the 30 day mark?

Jason

nova

imported post

I believe it only applies to buying from dealers. Heck I don't think there's a way the state would even know how many private sales go on anyhow.

ODA 226

imported post

There is a one gun a month limit (from a dealer) UNLESS you have a Virginia CHP. If you have one, you can buy as many guns as you want. There is no limit on private sales.

IanB

imported post

Also, if you are at the "one gun a month" limit, and you want to trade in a handgun for a new handgun purchase, the one gun a month rule does not apply.

IanB

imported post

Tess wrote:
Any plans for a meetup this weekend near the show?

We did one at Five Guys one time. Another time my family and Nakedshoplifter went to Eggspectations afther the show. And of course the picnic on show day.

If there's interest, I'm open to suggestions or I'll find a place.

I took the liberty of organizing a breakfast.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=9704&forum_id=54

ufcfanvt

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
marshaul wrote:

I was working the VCDL booth at the time and there was a thunderstorm :lol:

isaiah

imported post

I see on the show host's website that the requirements to purchase from an FFL holder are displayed. Will there be private sellers there too or just FFL dealers?

The reason I ask is because I need a handgun and, being 20, I can't legally purchase one unless from a private seller. Can or does the host have any say as to whether I can buy one from a private seller at the show or not?

eyesopened

imported post

There will be private sellers there, but they are outnumbered by the FFLs. The host has no say who the sellers can sell to, by host I take it to mean the promoter of the show.

nova

imported post

Look for people who have a paper pinned to their shirt that says "FOR SALE" because those are almost guaranteed to be private sellers.

If only it WAS as easy to find private sellers at gunshows as the antigunners think it is.

I've found out it is MUCH easier to find private sellers on the gun forums (such as GlockTalk, TheFiringLine, TheHighRoad, etc) than at the gun shows, so if you don't have any luck this weekend, keep an eye out on some of those sites because there are some good deals to be had (I picked up a nice Smith 64 for 250 bucks not long ago.

Being 19 I know it can be hard in this world to find a handgun.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

isaiah wrote:
I see on the show host's website that the requirements to purchase from an FFL holder are displayed. Will there be private sellers there too or just FFL dealers?

The reason I ask is because I need a handgun and, being 20, I can't legally purchase one unless from a private seller. Can or does the host have any say as to whether I can buy one from a private seller at the show or not?

What are you looking for?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

isaiah wrote:
OK, thanks. Is there an easy way to discern between the two or do you just ask?
Often the folks who have only a few handguns are private sellers. The dealers generally have signs showing their shop/business name. I bought a Kahr P9 from a private seller two shows ago - he had it and 4-5 other handguns out among the other stuff he had for sale.

nova

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
nova wrote:
Being 19 I know it can be hard in this world to find a handgun.
You can always try your local crack dealer. If he doesn't have one I'm sure he knows who does :^).
LEGALLY. Besides, I don't have a local crack dealer. Sure, they're out there, but I don't have one :p

Gun forums are a good place for private sellers anyhow. I'll have to look at this next show too.

isaiah

imported post

Tess wrote:
isaiah wrote:
I see on the show host's website that the requirements to purchase from an FFL holder are displayed.  Will there be private sellers there too or just FFL dealers?

The reason I ask is because I need a handgun and, being 20, I can't legally purchase one unless from a private seller.  Can or does the host have any say as to whether I can buy one from a private seller at the show or not?

What are you looking for?

Specifically, a Springfield Loaded 1911 SS with night sights.

I've been to TheHighRoad before. I'll have to check back and go to those other sites.

Thanks for the help guys. Don't mean to hijack the thread.

kle

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
marshaul wrote:

+1 I was there too.
I was filling out the paperwork on a Ruger Blackhawk when that happened; I thought it was a shotgun blast, but the guy I was buying the gun from said that wasn't a gunshot--I've never heard a gunshot without ear protection =)

nova

imported post

kle wrote:

I was filling out the paperwork on a Ruger Blackhawk when that happened; I thought it was a shotgun blast, but the guy I was buying the gun from said that wasn't a gunshot--I've never heard a gunshot without ear protection =)

Me either, well, except for outdoors which I can't imagine is as bad as indoors.

I think I'm just about prepared for the show. I've put together a list of stuff to get, and I should have enough cash for another gun (just bought another one in Feb. so it takes a while to let the funds build up again :lol:)