• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Encounter with Seattle PD on 3/28/08

Trigger Dr

imported post

Seattle now has a recruiting campaign set up to get more officers on the PD, and it is directed at the NYC PD. Now the good (?) part. New Dork City PD officers starting pay is right at $25000. Seattle starting pay is nearly DOUBLE that.

With the attitude that is prevalent in NYC PD, how well do you think they will fit in and adjust to Seattle? Not well, without a bunch of remedial training. Brace your selves it is coming.

just_a_car

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Seattle now has a recruiting campaign set up to get more officers on the PD, and it is directed at the NYC PD. Now the good (?) part. New Dork City PD officers starting pay is right at $25000. Seattle starting pay is nearly DOUBLE that.

With the attitude that is prevalent in NYC PD, how well do you think they will fit in and adjust to Seattle? Not well, without a bunch of remedial training. Brace your selves it is coming.
Okay, we NEED to get SPD to issue a training bulletin before this gets out of hand. I didn't realize they were going to be hiring NYC PD; it has nothing to do with my encounter (unless the first officer was from NYC, but he didn't sound like it) but we need to head this potential disaster off at the pass.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:

Lovely. I'm sure they are experienced and fine officers if they make the move across country, but I have heard enough stories about LEO's from Kalifornia coming up here and not understanding that everyone and their grandma owns, uses and carrys guns around here.

Need some real heavy training on this one. When I was in Kali the cops there told me they liked the gun laws. That way they knew if you had a gun you were automatically a bad guy!:what:

I imagine it is the same training in New York.

Maybe some emails to the SPD and Seattle City Attorney are in order.

Trigger Dr

imported post

The one redeaming factor in this hiring /recruiting drive, ALL officers, regardless of their background, have to complete the Washington Basic LE academy in a given time frame. I am not certain what that time frame is but it is relatively short. They will at least get "some" exposure to our state codes.

Port Orchard just hired a new commander, from Nebraska. Seems to be gun friendly... we shall see.

joeroket

imported post

Seattle has been doing a nationwide recruitment for over a year now and, if I remember correctly, they have to go thru the WSCJTC before they are commissioned.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
underthebridge wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
I'm not sure what three chevrons means rank-wise, but I doubt he was the guy's supervisor... I could be wrong.
usa-police-chevrons_18.gif
would be Sergeant, generally first line supervision for patrolman. If they were on break, chances are the Sgt was their supervisor.
Thanks. I guess I got to talk to his supervisor without being arrested after all... *snicker*

The best part was when he admitted that I 'had all my facts straight', implying that I was right and the patrolman that first talked to me was wrong. I think back now and the patrolman's demeanor became mildly apologetic after that when he was saying he wasn't used to seeing that and wasn't aware it was legal... instead of being authoritative about me being wrong.

I guess even though I was flusterred, knowing the laws not only helped it end well, it got me treated better and a supervising officer to affirm my legality.

"I guess even though I was flusterred, knowing the laws not only helped it end well, it got me treated better and a supervising officer to affirm my legality."

This has helped me too. Many times as I have been approached by LEO's.

They usually don't like me when I am confident AND accurate. THEY have the BADGE and KNOW the LAW, right ?:uhoh:

TJ

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Itirritates the pi$$ out of me thatthe officer threatened you with arrest (for breaking what law?).

IMHO, this is hardly an "all's well that ends well"situation.

Time and againI read stories of officers who threaten what they cannot follow through on, and/orthreaten even when they know you are perfectly legal.

BS.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BB62 wrote:
SNIP Itirritates the pi$$ out of me thatthe officer threatened you with arrest (for breaking what law?).

I understand.

This one is a little different, though.

Just based on the information included in the OP, it seems the officer making the threat actually believed the OPer was subject to arrest.

One could even argue that the officer thought he was doing the OPer a favor by trying to dissuade him from bringing in the supervisor. One could also argue that the officer thought hewas exercising good discretion by offering the OPer a way out rather than just arrest or cite him on the spot.

Machoduck

imported post

Citizen, that's a good point. The frustrating part is the same thing that frustrates OC people in both of our states; LEOs who don't know the law they're supposed to uphold. At least Officer Bro had the good sense to shut his mouth when the supervisor got involved.

MD

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Machoduck wrote:
Citizen, that's a good point. The frustrating part is the same thing that frustrates OC people in both of our states; LEOs who don't know the law they're supposed to uphold. At least Officer Bro had the good sense to shut his mouth when the supervisor got involved.

MD

This is why it pays to become a common-citizen screamingexpert on the 4th Amendment and applicable statutes. Soone can find all the BSand call them on it.

just_a_car

imported post

Citizen wrote:
BB62 wrote:
SNIP Itirritates the pi$$ out of me thatthe officer threatened you with arrest (for breaking what law?).

I understand.

This one is a little different, though.

Just based on the information included in the OP, it seems the officer making the threat actually believed the OPer was subject to arrest.

One could even argue that the officer thought he was doing the OPer a favor by trying to dissuade him from bringing in the supervisor. One could also argue that the officer thought hewas exercising good discretion by offering the OPer a way out rather than just arrest or cite him on the spot.
Citizen, I do believe that is exactly what this officer was attempting do to. His attitude and mannerisms suggested that he was trying to give me 'an out' by simply concealing and going on my way. The fact that he wasn't aware of the law regarding open carry clouded his judgement in his actions and his words. I hope that my encounter and the supervisor's words will now correct his actions in his future encounters with other local OC'ers.

A little inconvenience for me may have saved many other OC'ers from harassment.

Machoduck

imported post

JAC, you're the only one at OCDO who perceived all the elements of communication that that cop used that night. I mean tone of voice, volume, timing, body language, and eyes. I would have thought from just the words used that he might have been trying to entrap you, thinking that you had no CPL and as soon as you concealed he could arrest you. I believe that you have and had a handle on what he meant. He may not have even known the law well enough to think of that entrapment scheme!

MD

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Citizen wrote:
BB62 wrote:
...Just based on the information included in the OP, it seems the officer making the threat actually believed the OPer was subject to arrest...

Good interpretation - esp. when backed up by the OP.

I tip my hat to you.