• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shotgunnery!

Weak 9mm

imported post

..I used to think birdshot would be the better choice in doors, since I live in an apartment with a common wall. I went to the range one day and compared the difference between birdshot and buckshot impacts on a 2 liter bottle filled with water. Buckshot blew the bottle in half at 20 or so feet. Birdshot, on the other hand, didn't even knock the bottle over at 10 feet. It just put some holes in it and the water started draining out. I was not impressed with the birdshot at all.

Birdshot will fill stuff with about a hundred tiny holes like you say. I've tried it in a number of different targets with decent results. It will get into a wet phone book enough for me to trust it to do the following:

You've got to go for the face and neck with it, that's for sure. My thoughts are that it will penetrate an eyelid, so even if they close their eyes they will have a major problem. If they're hit in the neck the multiple tiny holes in their jugular on either side may be a little bit of a problem for them. I would think it can make it into the trachea as well. It should also get through their cheeks, ears, etc. It will tear them up badly and likely leave them blind, stunned and temporarily deafened. At close range the Federal birshot still blows things around pretty nastily. I wouldn't trust it to reach vitals though.

That's why there are only two rounds of it, and if they fail (Or if there are multiple attackers, which will require much quicker and more guaranteed incapacitation) the thug and his friends will begin to receive tight groups of Federal Tactical 00 Buck. My hope is that a well placed shot or two of the Federal birdshot will solve the problem without putting the neighbors at risk. Also, depending upon the situation, I may just pick up the 590. Then they'll have 9 low recoil Winchester Ranger slugs to deal with, and that will be a serious problem.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
..I used to think birdshot would be the better choice in doors, since I live in an apartment with a common wall. I went to the range one day and compared the difference between birdshot and buckshot impacts on a 2 liter bottle filled with water. Buckshot blew the bottle in half at 20 or so feet. Birdshot, on the other hand, didn't even knock the bottle over at 10 feet. It just put some holes in it and the water started draining out. I was not impressed with the birdshot at all.

Birdshot will fill stuff with about a hundred tiny holes like you say. I've tried it in a number of different targets with decent results. It will get into a wet phone book enough for me to trust it to do the following:

You've got to go for the face and neck with it, that's for sure. My thoughts are that it will penetrate an eyelid, so even if they close their eyes they will have a major problem. If they're hit in the neck the multiple tiny holes in their jugular on either side may be a little bit of a problem for them. I would think it can make it into the trachea as well. It should also get through their cheeks, ears, etc. It will tear them up badly and likely leave them blind, stunned and temporarily deafened. At close range the Federal birshot still blows things around pretty nastily. I wouldn't trust it to reach vitals though.

That's why there are only two rounds of it, and if they fail (Or if there are multiple attackers, which will require much quicker and more guaranteed incapacitation) the thug and his friends will begin to receive tight groups of Federal Tactical 00 Buck. My hope is that a well placed shot or two of the Federal birdshot will solve the problem without putting the neighbors at risk. Also, depending upon the situation, I may just pick up the 590. Then they'll have 9 low recoil Winchester Ranger slugs to deal with, and that will be a serious problem.
I'll agree that birdshot to the face would be effective, but I don't want to have to rely on a headshot at 3 am down a dark hallway. I stilldon't thinkthat birdshot to center of mass at 10 feet will stop an attacker immediately. (edited for double negative, lol)

Weak 9mm

imported post

You don't think it will stop them or you do? It reads like you do think a center of mass hit at 10ft will stop them.

I question it for some people. However, it is certainly probable that for most people it will stop them and I think it will cause serious pain and tissue damage at the very least. Honestly, if it's totally dark I'm probably going to be using my Glock 17 with night sights. I'm not arguing with you about it's effectiveness (Or lack thereof) though. I simply don't want to kill neighbors, especially if the first and second shots solve the problem. Plus, if night time accuracy is such a concern, birdshot will be much more likely to hit them than the buckshot rounds I carry (Or slugs of course). From my experience the pattern is the size of a dinner plate after 15 feet or so. It's not that hard to hit the upper torso, neck and head with one or two shots IMO. Regardless, I've seen the effects of this particular round in jugs, phone books, etc, so I do have a good idea of what it will and wont do.

I'm not going to change the way it's loaded at this time though, because it works for me. If it doesn't work for you I don't suggest using this combination. I simply mentioned what I use in the Pardner, I never said everyone needs to use it. My Mossberg is loaded with slugs, so if I pick that up first there wont be a penetration issue.

MetalChris

imported post

I'd rather have 9-18 big holes in my walls to patch up than 1000-2000. :p I'll stick w/ my 00. ;)