• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in a Vehicle

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I've been putting a lot of thought into car carry recently, so I'll share with you what I've come up with. First of all, I ended up ruling out a dashboard holster for myself. Anything placed on the dash gets incredibly hot, even during short trips. The sun beating down can also cause quite a bit of damage in the long run. I'd be more concerned about the holster than the gun, but still. Oh, and almost all velcro I've comeacross specifically says "Not for use on dashboards or in direct sunlight", or some variation of that.

I really don't see any problem with carrying in a belt holster. If you're openly carrying, and sit down in a restaurant booth, no one can see your gun. That doesn't make it concealed, however. The same should apply to your car. You're not intentionally concealing the handgun by sitting in your vehicle. It is still clearly visible on your person.

On top of that, you really shouldn't be getting pulled over in the first place :D. IF you do get pulled, you should have plenty of time to safely move the gun from your holster to the passenger seat. Moving your gun every time you get in and out of your car is creating a situation similar to the airline pilots that have to move their handgun every time they leave the cockpit. Eventually someones going to shoot a hole in the floor, if not yourself. I say just leave it in the holster.

*I am not a lawyer, but this is the advice that I live by.

USNRCorpsman

imported post

I'm not 100%sure on this but I agree with DreQo on the holster. Just be absolutelycertain to advise any LEO at the outset of the contact that you are armed and where it is located and keep your hands visible.