• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arizona Rangers...

Dahwg

imported post

... anyone here a member? What can you tell me about them? Seems like a good way to get some training and serve the community without having to be a LEO. Armed citizens giving back.

lostone1413

imported post

Be better if it was setup so you would be covered under 218. That way you could carry in any state in the country, Guess it would still be OK if you had nothing to do. Me i'll just go to SI for my training

BigAZBob

imported post

I was a Sgt. with the AZ Rangers for a couple of years. I would be a Capt or Major by now or higher. I can tell you that it is a great Org. OUTSTANDING people that are selfless with their time and duty to the community. I was the training officer. First I have included the link to their home page and if interested you can apply their. They have changed somewhat since I was there. I am Fed LEO and teach Officer Survivial, WETT and other things. They have a "Boys Ranch" that they sponser and the dues and fees that they are paid for their services goes towards that end. To join, you have to serve a probationary period, purchase your unifs' gear and provide you own gear, leather, flashlights, etc....
They require that you provide a certain number of hours per month. It was 20 hrs. that may have changed.

There is mixed feelings about the Org. most fulltime sworn, LEOs are not happy with the idea of the group. They are not regulated by any particular agency. The people are really good people with a great deal of pride and simply want to help where and when they can..... feel free to ask any others questions if I know I'll answer BigAZBob

http://www.azrangers.org/

Dahwg

imported post

BigAZBob wrote:
... most fulltime sworn, LEOs are not happy with the idea of the group. They are not regulated by any particular agency. The people are really good people with a great deal of pride and simply want to help where and when they can..... feel free to ask any others questions if I know I'll answer BigAZBob

http://www.azrangers.org/

I wouldn't expect they'd be too happy about having them around most of the time, but when the SHTF they sure are happy they're there. I guess they really came through in Sierra Vista several months back when they had that really big mass-casualty high speed chase involving illegal aliens.

And in 2003, they took second place at the SWAT competition. I guess the fact that a bunch of john Q Gunowners show that a responsible citizen can be just as good, if not better than they are would be a source of displeasure. I see they were started by legislative act, so I guess they would be roughly regulated by them- besides, if they don't have any real arrest powers, then what's there to regulate?

ccwaz

More about AZ Rangers

The Arizona Rangers are divided into Companies; each Company has a Captain (Commander), one or more Lieutenants, one or more Sergeants, and the rank and file Rangers. Arizona State Law says that we are available to work as volunteer law enforcement assistance and support, and have no investigative or arrest powers, other than what all citizens have. We work at the request of and under the direction of regular Law Enforcement, so when an arrest is made, we either do a citizens' arrest and turn the arrestee over to our supervising LEO, or make it an arrest directly by the LEO with whom we are working at the time.
The same law says we are also available to provide armed security for public events, especially for non-profit organizations. We provide support to positive moral youth organizations. We also consider it our duty to honor the memory of the original 1901-1909 Territorial Rangers, some of whom were the founders of our volunteer organization in 1957.
We have a good working relationship with several Law Enforcement agencies, but some others are not open to working with non-LEOs. We think that is very understandable; since many of our Rangers are former or even active Officers, and we understand the feelings. You don't trust your life to an unknown, unproven actor. We understand that we have to earn the respect and confidence of each new agency.
Training is done at our own Arizona Rangers Training Academy (ARTA), which sticks closely to the AZ POST requirements on the subjects covered, but tailors the material to our specific situation as volunteers.
It's a great way to serve our communities, and to provide some much-needed support for our embattled Law Enforcement. They deserve all the credit, support, and respect we can give them as they put their lives on the line for us every day.

PavePusher

The Arizona Rangers are divided into Companies; each Company has a Captain (Commander), one or more Lieutenants, one or more Sergeants, and the rank and file Rangers. Arizona State Law says that we are available to work as volunteer law enforcement assistance and support, and have no investigative or arrest powers, other than what all citizens have. We work at the request of and under the direction of regular Law Enforcement, so when an arrest is made, we either do a citizens' arrest and turn the arrestee over to our supervising LEO, or make it an arrest directly by the LEO with whom we are working at the time.
The same law says we are also available to provide armed security for public events, especially for non-profit organizations. We provide support to positive moral youth organizations. We also consider it our duty to honor the memory of the original 1901-1909 Territorial Rangers, some of whom were the founders of our volunteer organization in 1957.
We have a good working relationship with several Law Enforcement agencies, but some others are not open to working with non-LEOs. We think that is very understandable; since many of our Rangers are former or even active Officers, and we understand the feelings. You don't trust your life to an unknown, unproven actor. We understand that we have to earn the respect and confidence of each new agency.
Training is done at our own Arizona Rangers Training Academy (ARTA), which sticks closely to the AZ POST requirements on the subjects covered, but tailors the material to our specific situation as volunteers.
It's a great way to serve our communities, and to provide some much-needed support for our embattled Law Enforcement. They deserve all the credit, support, and respect we can give them as they put their lives on the line for us every day.

Excellent info, Thanks! If I'm still in Arizona after my military retirement, I'll look into this.

Freedom First

Excellent.

This is exactly what I have been wishing existed here in Washington State. I have some studying to do... Thanks for the info!

JoeGlock40

what kind of training do you do in it...is there like a academy type deal when u start out...im pretty interested thats why im askin if anyone knows

MR Redenck

I'll volunteer! Im pretty much limited to weekends only because I live in Texas, but I aint too far away.
Im easy to get a hold of, all the AzCDL guy's know who I am.
Us to, the Texas Rangers used citizens as "backup". Not anymore though. Im working on trying to establish that relationship again with my new Ranger buddy.
I dont see why citizens who want to make a difference cant be involved. Untill they let us get involved, they shouldnt tell us to stop complaining. :banana:

Dahwg

what kind of training do you do in it...is there like a academy type deal when u start out...im pretty interested thats why im askin if anyone knows

I never signed up because there was too much of a money and time requirement, but I know that they give ongoing training during the month, but there is a sort of Ranger Academy. Their marksmanship requirements are more stringent than POST standards if I recall correctly.

I attended a few meetings and know that they have been involved with sobriety checkpoints as well as some work wiht the state in regards to Meth houses or something like that.

ccwaz

AZ Rangers Training Academy (ARTA)

There is a pretty good list of classes at the following site:

http://www.arizonarangersphoenixcompany.org/

On that page, click on the link (left side) that says Ranger Training.

Since we are working with volunteers who usually have jobs and a life, the ARTA Classes are taught in special sessions that last one or two days, organized on a Regional or Statewide basis. Each company also has at least one session per month of continuing training or refresher courses, usually lasting a couple of hours. Rangers are encouraged to retake the ARTA classes regularly to stay sharp, and weapons qualifications are renewed annually.

After the application process and oral interview, a thorough background investigation, approval by the Internal Affairs Officer, by the Captain, and by vote of the Company, new inductees are sworn in and then put on probationary status for a minimum of 90 days, during which they are expected to complete the ARTA courses and do a certain number of hours with an assigned Field Training Officer before moving to regular Ranger Status. The Probationary Status can be prolonged if needed - again, we are working with volunteers, with varied backgrounds.

Many Rangers come to us with a Law Enforcement, Security, or Military background, but that is not a requirement. The training will catch them up in any case.

OldCurlyWolf

... anyone here a member? What can you tell me about them? Seems like a good way to get some training and serve the community without having to be a LEO. Armed citizens giving back.

DRAT!!! I thought you were going to post something about the REAL Arizona Rangers. The ones that have existed as LE since the 1800's, not this civilian group.

Dahwg

Already did the research, no confusion on my part, just on yours.

:lol:

I don't think you have. There have not been any AZ Rangers that exist as a LE force since they were disbanded in 1909. The current citizen Rangers were established in the 50's by some of the original 1901-1909 Rangers and were recognized officially by the state legislature some time after that. So... I would say the confusion IS in fact, on your part. :dude:

ccwaz

@OldCurlyWolf

Sir, if the attitudes demonstrated in your signature ("I won't be wronged," etc) and posts on this forum are indicative of your character, please save us the trouble of rejecting your application. There is no place for these attitudes in the Rangers, or in any branch of law enforcement. I seriously suggest you seek professional help before you hurt somebody.

Sir, if the attitudes demonstrated in your signature ("I won't be wronged," etc) and posts on this forum are indicative of your character, please save us the trouble of rejecting your application. There is no place for these attitudes in the Rangers, or in any branch of law enforcement. I seriously suggest you seek professional help before you hurt somebody.

And, of course, were he to come onto my land, and not behave civilly, he would find that he would have "a hand laid on him", along with a prompt removal from the premises. Such "me me me" attitudes don't go over well around here.