• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistols for Lefties

grimstar

imported post

+1

for the Bersa Thunder 9, also available in a compact version, and also sold under the name Firestorm.

Almost fully ambi right out of the box, the mag release isn't, but can be switched to left handed operation if you desire...and without extra parts required, I believe.

I have the compact mini-9 version, and have had no problems with operating the mag release with the middle finger of my left hand. I have also had zero problems of any kind with it, so far. It also has an excellent trigger pull, better than many handguns I've handled.

It's also only $350 bucks or so, out the door. An excellent gun for the price. There is a forum for Bersa owners and almost everyone who has one of the thunder 9 / .40 's seems to be very impressed with them.

Carry Safe, Carry Often,

Grimstar

ODA 226

imported post

Euromutt wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
:what:Sure was. How did you hear about that? :question:
I worked for the ICTY for a few years, so I picked up a decent knowledge of the wars in the former Yugoslavia (I did some background reading on my own time too). You said you brought that CZ-99 "back from the war in Croatia." The US didn't get directly involved in that one, but it's no secret that the Clinton administration indirectly aided the Croatian government by having MPRI "consult" for the HV (mainly by teaching them how to stop fighting like they were still in the JNA). Of cours,e you might have been working for the UN, or ICRC, or some NGO, but I don't think you'd have been in a position to privately acquire and import a firearm if you had.

Sorry about the off-topic, folks.
I worked for the OSCE Mission to Croatia and UNDP inBelgrade after everything calmed down, but was with MPRI from 1994-1996 in the "assist" mission. What did you do with ICTY? You wouldn't happen to know Isabelle Oszeraduk? She was working in Den Haag as a legal advisor from 1999 to just a couple years ago.

Euromutt

imported post

I was with the Office of the Prosecutor (OTP), in the Information and Evidence Section. Most of what I did was take a batch of scanned documents (stuff seized from the headquarters of the VRS's 1st Krajina Corps and two brigades of the Drina Corps), run them through an Optical Character Recognition engine, build a searchable index, and export that either to the network or burn it onto CD-ROM. Apparently, my work made nailing Radislav Krstic for the Srbrenica massacre a lot easier. (Though, mind you, what really did him in was a recording of an intercepted radio conversation where the Serbs were broadcasting in the clear like total amateurs; some colonel asks "What do we do with the prisoners?" and Krstic says "Kill them all.")

I don't think I ever met Isabelle Oszeraduk,though the name sounds vaguely familiar. I didn't consort with very many of the lawyers, though.

Hey, way cool that you were with OSCE. They're the most under-rated international organization around. They've helped prevent numerous wars, especially on the southern fringe of the former Soviet Union, but hardly anyone's even heard of them.

Eeyore

imported post

OK, back on topic.....

I steamed up some display cases this weekend, and here's my initial impressions:

Bersa Thunder9 (compact)--much nicer than I expected. SA trigger pull is very nice, DA is average, and the price is hard to dislike. Grip circumference may be a bit large. Verdict: :?

S&W M&P--nice ergos, except the slide is almost impossible to release using the lever (on either side). It seems to be too small, too smooth, and too recessed. I've never seen anybody else complain about this, so it might be a break-in thing. Verdict: :?

Sig P250--very nice! Very solid, and great trigger for a DAO. I still need for a salesman to demonstrate tous the different sized frames and grips, but definitely a finalist. :dude:

Nobody carried any H&Ks or a CZ85, so the hunt continues for those. I'm hopeful about the CZ. Given the price of H&Ks, though, they're probably not seriously in the running unless she absolutely loves the H&K, and only the H&K.

I did pick up a 1911--I'd forgotten how slender the grips are with a single-stack mag, so I might look for a 1911 chambered in 9mm and add that to the list, assuming the various "lefty" mods available for a .45 are also available for the 9mm. I also handled an FNP40, which I'd been curious about for a while. It was much bigger and bulkier than the internet photo had led me to believe. $50 more than the identical Browning, and trigger not as good as the Bersa(!) :(

More shopping to come...:celebrate

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Eeyore wrote:
S&W M&P--nice ergos, except the slide is almost impossible to release using the lever (on either side). It seems to be too small, too smooth, and too recessed. I've never seen anybody else complain about this, so it might be a break-in thing. Verdict: :?
Might be it's a slide stop rather than a slide release thing. Just sayin' .....:cool:

Loneviking

imported post

I doubt that you are going to find a CZ 85 as that is one rare beast. Just check out a standard 75B or the little brother to that, the CZ 82/83. AIM Surplus has CZ 82's for $189.95 chambered for 9mm Makarev. Great gun, it's a bit tough getting ammo locally for it, so buy it online and have it shipped in. The CZ 83 has three calibers: 380, 9 x 18 and 9 mm. These CZ 82/83 are all steel frames, very durable and reliable, just the right size to carry.

Euromutt

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Might be it's a slide stop rather than a slide release thing. Just sayin' .....:cool:
The manual does call it a slide stop, and if you look closely, you'll see its shape lends itself more readily to being pushed up to lock the slide, than down to release it.
The fact that it's small and recessed is a boon to CCers, since it's one fewer thing to get tangled in clothing.

I only use it as a slide stop. I've been taught that if you ever intend to use a firearm for defensive purposes, you don't want to cultivate a habit of getting out of slide lock using a small finicky lever, because once you're in a fight, the adrenaline kicks in and your fine motor skills degrade, you may not be able to work that finicky lever properly, with all that entails. Generally, it's better to get into the habit of getting out of slide lock by pulling the slide back.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Euromutt wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
The manual does call it a slide stop, and if you look closely, you'll see its shape lends itself more readily to being pushed up to lock the slide, than down to release it.
The fact that it's small and recessed is a boon to CCers, since it's one fewer thing to get tangled in clothing.

I only use it as a slide stop. I've been taught that if you ever intend to use a firearm for defensive purposes, you don't want to cultivate a habit of getting out of slide lock using a small finicky lever, because once you're in a fight, the adrenaline kicks in and your fine motor skills degrade, you may not be able to work that finicky lever properly, with all that entails. Generally, it's better to get into the habit of getting out of slide lock by pulling the slide back.
+100 Same thing I was taught.

We were also shown a police training video of an LEO being killed because he was trying to reload using the slide stop and in the stress he couldn't get it to release the slide. According to our instructor, who is also a police instructor, it was that video that led to LEOs nationwide being taught to rack the slide to reload rather than use the slide stop.

curtm1911

imported post

I am a lefty also and carry a 1911. I use my trigger finger to operate the mag release during reloads and my right hand to insert the new magazine. The only ambi control I need on a 1911 is the safety lock lever. I can alsotrip the slide lock lever with my trigger finger, or I just rack it. No problems ever and your finger is off the bang switch. Lefties, give it a try sometime, it works real slick. Just an observation and tried and provenmethod.

artedna

imported post

I am a lefty and shoot and carry a sp2022 sig I have had no problems with it did change the mag release to the right side-plus my wife shoots it sometime when me and my two son's practice,we live in the country so it is just out the front door and we are there at the local range.What ever you buy practice with it alot-know all the levers-buttons-That is why i like my sig.only 2 levers and 1 button but need to use only 1 lever and 1 button to use and use safley.

Bear 45/70

imported post

My wife is profoundly a leftie and to date she has like her Detonics, her custom Colt Officers 1911 Stainless with ambi-safety, and her H&K 45 Compact with all the lever swapped to the "other" side. She then went wheelgun with a Charter Undercover 38 and recently up graded to a Charter Bulldog "PUG" to get the 44 stopping power. I tried for years to find a Randall and only came across one and he wasn't selling for twice what it was worth. Charter Arms now has a truelefthand revolver.

http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Southpaw_93820.html

With the CNC machining available, I have not figured out why someone hasn't just flipped the program and done some runs of left handed guns. It would be easy and they would sell.

G

imported post

Im suprised noone suggested the new Storms from beretta. I bought my wife a full size PX4 storm when they were new. Interchangeable backstraps, full ambis, great sights, and a recoil thats like butta (nicer than any other gun IMO) even with +p+ ammo.

I plan on getting the PX4 subcompact for carry, after I get her her SP101.
Hey, what about a revolver for her?? No nothin to fumble with, just pull the trigger.

grimstar

imported post

Another bit of trivia about the Bersa/Firestorm compact models...the grip on my Firestorm mini-9 is *exactly* the same size /angle/ shape as my Makarov with the Pierce aftermarket grips.

Just a bit of info for anyone looking to upgrade from a Mak.

Now if Pierce would just make grips for the Bersa....that would be really nice!

Grimstar

Pol Mordreth

imported post

I carry a ruger P944 in .40. It is almost completely ambi, only thing not is slide lock / release. not a big deal for shooting, but maybe for cleaning. To my knowledge all of the Ruger semis are set up that way.

Respectfully

Pol

Zgar

imported post

The H&K P30 is an outstanding gun, great grip, great shooting, great all around, the only thing is that it is not subcompact so for cc it might be a little big for the average person. this does not affect me though I love this weapon.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Eeyore wrote:
OK, back on topic.....

I steamed up some display cases this weekend, and here's my initial impressions:

Bersa Thunder9 (compact)--much nicer than I expected. SA trigger pull is very nice, DA is average, and the price is hard to dislike. Grip circumference may be a bit large. Verdict: :?
Try the Thunder 380 or the Thunder 380 CC. Grip is a little smaller. I carry the Thunder 9mm most of the time, but I love my 380s also (note -- yes, I have more than one Bersa 380, as well as the 40 and the 45. Can you tell I like 'em?)

Marco

imported post

H&K P7 M8, M10 or M13 or K3the safety is ambi as well as the mag release, the take down lever isn't.

The pistol is fully ambidextrous, safe to carry with a loaded chamber and able to be quickly drawn and ready to fire instantly.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Eeyore wrote:
Again, you miss the point. :banghead:

My intent in starting this thread was to learn what pistols were out there that were fully ambidextrous, so lefties would have all the options. That effort has been successful, in that I now know of 2-3 other models than I did before, though I'm surprised there aren't more.

For some reason you're assuming that everyone would love the XD if only they were holding it right (and their fingernails were short enough). One size does not fit all, and if you're teaching self defense you surely know that. That's why there are many successful gun makers that aren't Springfield Armory, just like there are many different car makers. If I test drive a car, get back to the lot, and tell the salesperson I liked it OK but didn't love it, s/he wouldn't say "Maybe you weren't driving it right. Have you ever taken driver's ed?"

All other things being equal, she seems to prefer pistols with smaller grips that are more rounded than square. Since this will probably be a range gun (she probably won't be CCing), maybe she would prefer the heft of an all-metal piece. She might prefer a hammer-fired DA/SA vs. a striker fired. Maybe she would prefer a manual safety. Of course, price factors in. Many pistols are now coming with ways to adjust the grip size/shape to her preference--the XD isn't one of them. However, until she handles each one and weighs the likes and dislikes, we won't know which one she likes best.

Bottom line, there's nothing wrong with loving the XD. And there's nothing wrong with not loving it.

I am a lefty, I havekept a revolver for that very reason, The only 2 pistols I found to be easily workable in southpaw without need to swap all kinds of crap and have custom work done are the Deaert Eagle and the XD-m, The Desert Eagleis unconcealble, or even carriable for that matter due to it's size (it makes an AR-15 in pistol config look like a decent option)

And I recently purchased a Springfiel Armory XD-m, the slide lock is not ambedextrious, but the mag release is, and no safety to screw with either.

Oh, now that I think about it, the Ruger P-series is full Ambi, even the decocking lever! Check those out of your not an XD-m fan.

Good luck getting a decent holster for lefties on the XD-m though!