• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legally owning

Jones_Jon

imported post

Alright im almost done asking questions :p. Now I know ive read this some where but need further info. Once I have a pistol and OC is there any information that I need on the gun? Like say a permit, but I read you dont need one for OC. Please clarify this for me.

acritical

imported post

Since NC does not do firearm registration, there is no paperwork necessary to open carry a firearm. If for some reason LEO secures your firearm during a stop, and run the serial numbers, most likely it is to check against the stolen firearm database.

However, most of the time I hear of LEO securing the firearm is due to their being uncomfortable with citizen carry. The only time you need paperwork is when carrying concealed, and then that is your CCW permit.

Godscreation

imported post

No permit is required to OC in NC. It's a second amendment right. You do however, need a pistol PURCHASE permit to PURCHASE a handgun, but after that you are golden to OC without any permit or gun info on you. The Mecklemburg County Sheriff website (for those that live in that county) says: "handguns must be carried out in the open, they may not be concealed....unless you have a concealed carry permit." So as long as you don't conceal it, you have the right to carry open. If an officer stops you, keep in mind they can only ask you to indentify yourself if they have probable cause (4th amendment). Being that openly carrying a firearm is a right that is granted by the constitution, merely having a gun is not probable cause for you to give them ID.

Jones_Jon

imported post

Alright just checking to make sure. Didnt want to catch problems for not having papers.

Custodian

imported post

99 counties do not have handgun registration. However, one... Durham county requires (read as: demands) the registration of all handguns. This was approved by the North Carolina General Assembly. I guess in Durham we are under more scrutiny.

So, if you live in Durham county, the local county deity, the Sheriff, apparently needs to know about it and demands that you: Average "Joe Blow" private clean-cut non-descript citizen with a spotless background check through NCIS must still register your handgun through his Register of Deeds office and within one month of purchase, pronto.

Get careless, and a month and a day later, you could be saying as they pound on your door, "Uh oh, it's the Sheriff!"

Custodian

imported post

I've seen it all over the net, however, I have yet to find the law at the General Assembly website. Something is fishy.

http://www.ncrpa.org/faq/ownership.shtml

I contacted these people at NCRPA.org and if they cannot produce the statute which I cannot find at the North Carolina General Assembly website with clear keywords like "Durham County Handgun Registration" then I feel there is no need to register since the people in 99 counties around me "ain't gotta do it either". Whose business is it to know if I'm packin'?

burninsteeda04

imported post

Aint no Permit and durham this was a suggestion by anti gun crowed and it failed miserably

Custodian

imported post

I'm going to get to the bottom of this Burnin', because seriously, I have NO desire to let public officials know whats on me or in my home. We don't register power tools, how about lawnmowers, or furniture. Kitchen knives or survival blades. Not them either. I was a citizen before I became a C/O and will always be one when I (if and when) I leave this field.

burninsteeda04

imported post

Ha do not forget that you are a prisoner at least from 9-5 lol Then you get to go home. My professor at WCU was a super max officer and He always tells people he was in prison for 15 years. hehe So if leo ever comes up to you maybe you could tell him that you just got out of prison ie out of work

acritical

imported post

I know for a fact that NC does not have handgun registration. I also know many people that own firearms in Durham County that have not had to register their firearms. No Sheriff has ever showed up at their door. I do not know for sure, however, that a county cannot institure their own version of registration. That would need to be researched, but the best place to start is with the county statutes.

I have often heard that if a person is seen open carrying in Durham, that the Sheriff has informed his officers to detain or arrest these people on any charge they can find. I contacted the Sheriff myself and he assured me that is not the case, open carry is completely legal as long as done so by the NC laws. He welcomes legal open carry inside the county and city of Durham. I have open carried almost every weekend that I can and have seen many officers and they have noticed my firearm. Never have any of then said a word to me.

I guess this goes to any conflicting word of mouth information that we deem important is important enough for us to research and find out the truth. "Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear"?

Hope this helps.

Jones_Jon

imported post

Alright im going to look at Elizabeth City statues. Im not that good at pointing this stuff out. So if someone sees something before I post please release the info :D

mbs357

imported post

All this time I was under the impression that one in, say, Hertford county would get in big trouble if he was found with an unregistered handgun. Is this false? Unregistered handguns are legal?

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

There is no gun licensing in North Carolina. The closest thing that we have toregistering a gunis a pistol purchase permit prior to purchasing the handgun in the place of a Brady Background Check. I don't even think that Durham County is allowed to require gun registration. It is not in the AG's opinion on NC Firearms Laws and I have never seen an actual law that states it. The only evidence that I have ever seen for Durham Counties gun licensing is heresay on the internet. I couldn't even find a reference to it at the DurhamCounty Code website although their laws seem to be about asanti-gun as they possibly could be under North Carolina Law:

http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=12650&sid=33 (TheGun Laws are in Chapter 17)

A handgun that is stolen or has the serial number scratched off of it is a whole different issue. That can fall under federal law which will put you in jail for a long, long time.

acritical

imported post

dubccat51,

Reference my link above. Durham County does have the right to require firearm registration if you live there. It is on the books and it is legal. Now, do they enforce this, this is something that would need to be asked of the Durham County Sheriff.

Jones_Jon

imported post

Well I didnt see anything in Elizabeth City statues unless I missed it. If someone could please look behind me.