Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Need a holster for my 1911

  1. #1
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    I'm open for suggestions. I carried my P89 in an Uncle Mike's Sidekick which I liked, and a minimal leather one for concealment. I'm about to go buy another sidekick unless I can find something I want. I'm not interested in getting into the retention debate as I am satisfied with a snug holster with a strap or flap on it. Eventually I will get a Bianchi military holster for it, but wouldn't mind a nice GI surplus leather or canvas holster as well.

    So right now unless I get a better idea real soon (and affordable) I'm going to Sportsman's Warehouse and picking up an Uncle Mike's. Any help is appreciated! I'll be CCing this about 50% of the time...

    Also thoughts on mags? I've got a surplus Colt mag right now, and will be buying some Mec-Gar mags which I find work well. I found a bunch of Vietnam era unissued surplus mags for about 12 bucks, and want to get some of those as well...

    What I would like are some good mags with thumbrests and/or extensions....

    Yup, total 1911 noob here.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    sv_libertarian wrote:
    I'm open for suggestions. I carried my P89 in an Uncle Mike's Sidekick which I liked, and a minimal leather one for concealment. I'm about to go buy another sidekick unless I can find something I want. I'm not interested in getting into the retention debate as I am satisfied with a snug holster with a strap or flap on it. Eventually I will get a Bianchi military holster for it, but wouldn't mind a nice GI surplus leather or canvas holster as well.

    So right now unless I get a better idea real soon (and affordable) I'm going to Sportsman's Warehouse and picking up an Uncle Mike's. Any help is appreciated! I'll be CCing this about 50% of the time...

    Also thoughts on mags? I've got a surplus Colt mag right now, and will be buying some Mec-Gar mags which I find work well. I found a bunch of Vietnam era unissued surplus mags for about 12 bucks, and want to get some of those as well...

    What I would like are some good mags with thumbrests and/or extensions....

    Yup, total 1911 noob here.
    I've always been partial to the belt slide holsters for 1911s. Triple K makes an inexpensive one and Sportsmans carries Triple K. Either with retension or without.

    http://www.triplek.com/Pages/SubProdInfo.cfm

    http://www.triplek.com/Pages/SubProdInfo.cfm

    Thinking about it I probably haveon or two in the gun closet you can have, if you like.



  3. #3
    Regular Member Mainsail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Silverdale, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,532

    Post imported post

    I really likethe Serpa for my 1911. I wouldn't use an uncle mikes holster as a drink coaster.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lynnwood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    68

    Post imported post

    Heres my everyday holster, its a Galco Cop Slide part# CSL212B, its got a thumb strap and you can adjust tension. And I have a IWB Galco Skyops for when hiding it if I wanted to.





    Marcus

  5. #5
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    I have those same grips! Nice holster, thanks for the advice.

  6. #6
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    Thanks Fred!

  7. #7
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    Mainsail wrote:
    I really likethe Serpa for my 1911. I wouldn't use an uncle mikes holster as a drink coaster.
    +1 on both sentences (with the exception I like the Serpa for my G27).
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    Don Hume makes relatively inexpensive but good quality holsters.

    http://www.donhume.com

    The other suggestion I have for you is Ebay.

    http://search.ebay.com/search/search...=32%26fsoo%3D2

    The other suggestion I have is to look for the used holster box in your local gunstores. You can soimetimes find a real gem for next to nothing.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    I like the Blackhawk CQB holster.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,863

    Post imported post

    Or I can build you one.

    see www.danddgunleather.com


    The Flash or....

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kennewick, Washington, USA
    Posts
    395

    Post imported post

    For an all around holster, I think that the blackhawk SERPA is about as nice as you can go in the kydex market and it's very secure.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    162

    Post imported post

    +1 for blackhawk. You can have one holster and get different mounts for it.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Gig Harbor, Washington, USA
    Posts
    53

    Post imported post

    I spend good money and waited over a year for some holsters....and I never thought I'd say it :

    Kydex is also very good, especially from these guys:

    http://www.comp-tac.com/

    Try the infidel!

    Perfect fit, excellant customer servicetoo.





  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA, ,
    Posts
    886

    Post imported post

    For OC purposes, I carry my Kimber Tactical in a Blackhawk SERPA w/Carbon Fiber trim. Very nice looking package.

    For CC purposes, I have ended up on the Bladetech IWB w/snaps & loops. I find it very comfortable, and can conceal that 5" 1911 under a lightweight t-shirt, no problem.

    For mags, I use Wilson Combats ONLY. I have 6 or 8 of their model 47d's, one of their 10-rounders, and have recently picked up a pair of their new ETMs. I have never had a problem w/them and like having 9 rounds of .45 on tap before a reload is necessary. They ARE a little spendy, but what's your life worth?

  15. #15
    Regular Member Bill45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    160

    Post imported post

    If you want deep concealment the Bianchi inside the pants model 3S works great.

    I do'nt know what is in the affordable for you. The 3S costs about $65.

    I have carried my 1911 combat comander or Springfield Champion in one for years.

    Some people have to get a next size larger pant but I have not had to. Just let the belt out one notch.

    One advantage for the 3S is that you can adjust it so you can carry it crossdraw if the need arises.



    Bill

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    387

    Post imported post

    wqbang wrote:
    ....The other suggestion I have is to look for the used holster box in your local gunstores.* You can soimetimes find a real gem for next to nothing.
    I agree, I have gotten some great holsters from the used holster barrel.

    I am very partial to leather, and have some great holsters from Tripple K, Bianchi, and Galco, for my 1911.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •