• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need a holster for my 1911

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I'm open for suggestions. I carried my P89 in an Uncle Mike's Sidekick which I liked, and a minimal leather one for concealment. I'm about to go buy another sidekick unless I can find something I want. I'm not interested in getting into the retention debate as I am satisfied with a snug holster with a strap or flap on it. Eventually I will get a Bianchi military holster for it, but wouldn't mind a nice GI surplus leather or canvas holster as well.

So right now unless I get a better idea real soon (and affordable) I'm going to Sportsman's Warehouse and picking up an Uncle Mike's. Any help is appreciated! I'll be CCing this about 50% of the time...

Also thoughts on mags? I've got a surplus Colt mag right now, and will be buying some Mec-Gar mags which I find work well. I found a bunch of Vietnam era unissued surplus mags for about 12 bucks, and want to get some of those as well...

What I would like are some good mags with thumbrests and/or extensions....

Yup, total 1911 noob here. :D

Bear 45/70

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
I'm open for suggestions. I carried my P89 in an Uncle Mike's Sidekick which I liked, and a minimal leather one for concealment. I'm about to go buy another sidekick unless I can find something I want. I'm not interested in getting into the retention debate as I am satisfied with a snug holster with a strap or flap on it. Eventually I will get a Bianchi military holster for it, but wouldn't mind a nice GI surplus leather or canvas holster as well.

So right now unless I get a better idea real soon (and affordable) I'm going to Sportsman's Warehouse and picking up an Uncle Mike's. Any help is appreciated! I'll be CCing this about 50% of the time...

Also thoughts on mags? I've got a surplus Colt mag right now, and will be buying some Mec-Gar mags which I find work well. I found a bunch of Vietnam era unissued surplus mags for about 12 bucks, and want to get some of those as well...

What I would like are some good mags with thumbrests and/or extensions....

Yup, total 1911 noob here. :D

I've always been partial to the belt slide holsters for 1911s. Triple K makes an inexpensive one and Sportsmans carries Triple K. Either with retension or without.

http://www.triplek.com/Pages/SubProdInfo.cfm

http://www.triplek.com/Pages/SubProdInfo.cfm

Thinking about it I probably haveon or two in the gun closet you can have, if you like.

ScorpioMk

imported post

Heres my everyday holster, its a Galco Cop Slide part# CSL212B, its got a thumb strap and you can adjust tension. And I have a IWB Galco Skyops for when hiding it if I wanted to.

0403081402-00.jpg

Marcus

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

For OC purposes, I carry my Kimber Tactical in a Blackhawk SERPA w/Carbon Fiber trim. Very nice looking package.

For CC purposes, I have ended up on the Bladetech IWB w/snaps & loops. I find it very comfortable, and can conceal that 5" 1911 under a lightweight t-shirt, no problem.

For mags, I use Wilson Combats ONLY. I have 6 or 8 of their model 47d's, one of their 10-rounders, and have recently picked up a pair of their new ETMs. I have never had a problem w/them and like having 9 rounds of .45 on tap before a reload is necessary. They ARE a little spendy, but what's your life worth?

Bill45

imported post

If you want deep concealment the Bianchi inside the pants model 3S works great.

I do'nt know what is in the affordable for you. The 3S costs about $65.

I have carried my 1911 combat comander or Springfield Champion in one for years.

Some people have to get a next size larger pant but I have not had to. Just let the belt out one notch.

One advantage for the 3S is that you can adjust it so you can carry it crossdraw if the need arises.

Bill

Sa45auto

imported post

wqbang wrote:
....The other suggestion I have is to look for the used holster box in your local gunstores.  You can soimetimes find a real gem for next to nothing.

I agree, I have gotten some great holsters from the used holster barrel.

I am very partial to leather, and have some great holsters from Tripple K, Bianchi, and Galco, for my 1911.