• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Its GOOD Not To Be a Canadian, or a European

OmSigDAVID

imported post

WHATEVER THIS HERO PAID IN LEGAL DEFENSE FEES,IN EFFECT, WAS A FINE FOR DEFENDING HIS LIFE.
David

http://blog.canoe.ca/moosecountry/2008/03/30/there_oughta_be_a_law
(Sunday, March 30)

You may not remember this, but I do.

Boxing Day, 2006. A home in the Toronto suburb of Etobicoke is invaded by a bandit who shoots Rodney Anderson's brother in the leg, and then fires another shot just before the gun jams.

Rodney Anderson grabs a kitchen knife, wrestles with the intruder to get his gun away from him and, in the process stabs the intruder in the neck.

The intruder drops his gun and flees the house. Rodney Anderson calls 911 for help.

The intruder runs away, bleeds out, and dies.

From my perspective, it's a proper ending.

What makes me remember this so clearly, though, is that Rodney Anderson — protecting his home and defending his brother — ends up being charged with the murder of the home invader.

Well, two years later, the case is finally over. Crown Attorney Jill Ferguson finally came to her senses — or her bosses' senses — and asked that the charge against Rodney Anderson dropped — stating, get this, “that the Crown has no reasonable prospect for a conviction.”

You think? You'd think that self-defence from a gun-toting, fire-at-will bandit, as well as the defence of another, would have never resulted in charges in the first place.

But that's not the world we live in anymore.

If the bandit had lived, he would likely have sued Rodney Anderson for everything he owned.

And, you know what?

He no doubt he would have won.

OmSigDAVID

imported post

Having read this article, I am left wondering what Canadian law deems a proper response to such a violent attack as that of this burglar.

( Its hard to believe that, as a criminal, he 'd not obey the anti-gun law, right ? )

In addition to the attorney 's defense fees, which will operate the same as a fine upon the defending homeowner, there is the wear-and-tear on his nervous system, as he sweats out how this will end. In America, it is common that one loses his professional licenses, upon conviction of a felony. I don 't know if that applies in Canadia.

One wonders what the Canadian prosecutor "Crown Counsel" wud have done, in the same circumstances. Docile surrender ? " Take me; I 'm yours " ??

David

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If this had happened in Great Britain Rodney Anderson probably would have been convicted of murder. Thank God that at least some of the states in this nation have had the good sense to pass castle doctrine laws.

OmSigDAVID

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
If this had happened in Great Britain Rodney Anderson probably would have been convicted of murder. Thank God that at least some of the states in this nation have had the good sense to pass castle doctrine laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(farmer)

English farmerTony Martin heroically killed a burglar who broke into his farmhouse and the homeowner was convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison as a "danger to burglars".

Sentence was later reduced, after much public protest.

I am shocked, saddened and alarmed by perversities of the human mind that put collectivist government into partnership with evil, as represented by violent criminals.

It is their philosophy that if the wolves are devouring the sheep, then the teeth shud be pulled from the mouths of the sheep.

David

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks for letting us know how goofy its getting up north.

Bring us some more emotionalwords we can hang on arguments.

OmSigDAVID

imported post

Citizen wrote:

OK.

I 'll try to think of some.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Citizen wrote:

OK.

I 'll try to think of some.

Oh, my. I didn't realize you were thinking them up yourself. I thought you were passing along some you had come across.

No sense in you having to do the heavy lifting. We'll have to chip in and think some up, too.