View Poll Results: Should we notify the venue that we will be armed?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it is private property and we should ask permission in advance.

    0 0%
  • No, we're exercising a right and should expect to be treated like any other paying customer.

    5 100.00%
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Nor Cal OC dinner - input needed

  1. #1
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    I have in the past spoken my mind about this, and stand by my position on the subject. However, I feel that since this will affect others (some of whom will be travelling 5+ hours to join us), I will leave it up to popular vote.

    IF you plan to be at the OC dinner, please let me know what you think.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Port Orchard, WA
    Posts
    18

    Post imported post

    The way I see it is that we shouldn't be asking permission since it is, after all, our right to carry.

    However, any restaurant that we go to is a private venue, and it is their right to not allow guns in there either.

    I believe that the right course of action would be to at least notify prospective venues of our intentions and inquire about their policies on carrying weapons, if any.

    There is a restaurant in the city that I work in that I frequent for lunch and they have a "Code of Conduct" placard outside that specifically prohibits weapons inside the premesis.

    If the venue doesn't have anything to say about it, great, we eat there. If they want to make a big deal about it, then they lose a couple hundred bucks and we eat somewhere else. It's their loss if they don't allow us in there. A venue may not have any restrictions on the subject, but I still think we should let them know out of courtesy.

    The best way to win the hearts and minds of the people is to make it a positive experience for everyone. If you're rude about it, or just blow people off completely, they are going to think, "Oh, there goes another gun toting jack off."

    When I carry, I try to be as nice as I can to everyone so that they can feel better about me carrying. If they ask why I'm carrying, I try to be as polite and courteous as possible and give them a real explanation and not this "because I can" BS. That way, I can leave knowing I gained the trust of another person, and they left thinking about how nice that guy was, maybe carrying a gun isn't such a bad thing after all. They have just as much right to ask me why I'm carrying a gun as I do to carry it.

    Anyway, my .02.

  3. #3
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231

    Post imported post

    We have the right to carry.

    Property owners and their agents have the right to ask us to leave.

    The fact that people are coming statewide (and from out ofstate)complicates matters as it makes it difficult to coordinate if we must unexpectedly change venues. Which is why I think having more than one option would be a good idea. Being a Saturday night at dinner hour could make this a considerable hassle. I hate the idea of lobbying a business owner to make things smooth, but...

    Im talking myself in circles...


    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

  4. #4
    Newbie cato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,335

    Post imported post

    Don't ask. If questioned, inform them of the nature of the group and place a big order. You could even tell them that their unloaded and CA law requires you to wear them openly as you don't have a LTC or a locking case etc...

  5. #5
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    Juice wrote:
    The best way to win the hearts and minds of the people is to make it a positive experience for everyone. If you're rude about it, or just blow people off completely, they are going to think, "Oh, there goes another gun toting jack off."

    When I carry, I try to be as nice as I can to everyone so that they can feel better about me carrying. If they ask why I'm carrying, I try to be as polite and courteous as possible and give them a real explanation and not this "because I can" BS. That way, I can leave knowing I gained the trust of another person, and they left thinking about how nice that guy was, maybe carrying a gun isn't such a bad thing after all. They have just as much right to ask me why I'm carrying a gun as I do to carry it.

    Anyway, my .02.
    This is where I disagree. Here's why:

    Let's imagine a scenario where you come into the car dealership where I work. You're browsing our selection of vehicles while chatting with your spouse/friend/whoever. The conversation happens to be about politics or religion. I approach you and ask you to leave because I take offense to your discussion. In fact, I'm amazed at your audacity to come to my place of business and discussing controversial subjects without notifying me in advance... without making sure I don't have a policy against free speech.

    Sounds silly, doesn't it? In this situation I think you would go to your local news editor and get a story splashed across the front page. Why do we treat our right to defend our lives like less of a right than free speech?

    As I have said in other posts, I think that our attitude towards our own right will affect the attitude others treat our rights with. After all, if we feel we need to ask permission, maybe they feel permission should be required.

    However, if the venue does have a problem serving me while armed, I would in this case compromise and leave my gun in the car. The only reason I would do so is because to me this meetup is all about networking. There will be plenty of other opportunities to win the fight for our rights; this dinner is about forming alliances in that battle.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    I don't think we should ask permission, certainly.

    Even if we were going to check in advance to see if a certain location is OK, it would be better accomplished by informing them of our intention rather than asking for permission.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Port Orchard, WA
    Posts
    18

    Post imported post

    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    Juice wrote:
    The best way to win the hearts and minds of the people is to make it a positive experience for everyone. If you're rude about it, or just blow people off completely, they are going to think, "Oh, there goes another gun toting jack off."

    When I carry, I try to be as nice as I can to everyone so that they can feel better about me carrying. If they ask why I'm carrying, I try to be as polite and courteous as possible and give them a real explanation and not this "because I can" BS. That way, I can leave knowing I gained the trust of another person, and they left thinking about how nice that guy was, maybe carrying a gun isn't such a bad thing after all. They have just as much right to ask me why I'm carrying a gun as I do to carry it.

    Anyway, my .02.
    This is where I disagree. Here's why:

    Let's imagine a scenario where you come into the car dealership where I work. You're browsing our selection of vehicles while chatting with your spouse/friend/whoever. The conversation happens to be about politics or religion. I approach you and ask you to leave because I take offense to your discussion. In fact, I'm amazed at your audacity to come to my place of business and discussing controversial subjects without notifying me in advance... without making sure I don't have a policy against free speech.

    Sounds silly, doesn't it? In this situation I think you would go to your local news editor and get a story splashed across the front page. Why do we treat our right to defend our lives like less of a right than free speech?

    As I have said in other posts, I think that our attitude towards our own right will affect the attitude others treat our rights with. After all, if we feel we need to ask permission, maybe they feel permission should be required.

    However, if the venue does have a problem serving me while armed, I would in this case compromise and leave my gun in the car. The only reason I would do so is because to me this meetup is all about networking. There will be plenty of other opportunities to win the fight for our rights; this dinner is about forming alliances in that battle.
    I agree with your scenario, I am also against asking for permission, which is why I voted no in your poll.

    I do believe, however, that we should give the venue the courtesy of informing them of our intentions and give them the opportunity to respond without causing any issue. Like I said previously, I think the best way to get to people is to be as positive as possible about what we are trying to show.



  8. #8
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    Juice wrote:
    I agree with your scenario, I am also against asking for permission, which is why I voted no in your poll.

    I do believe, however, that we should give the venue the courtesy of informing them of our intentions and give them the opportunity to respond without causing any issue. Like I said previously, I think the best way to get to people is to be as positive as possible about what we are trying to show.

    I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt by not even asking. Let's assume they're not going to ask us to check our rights at the door. Let's stop expecting our rights to be trampled. After all, if we can't act like being armed is a 'normal' thing to do, then how can we expect them to view our right?
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Port Orchard, WA
    Posts
    18

    Post imported post

    Again, I don't think we should be asking permission. I'm not askin', I'm tellin'.

    If it were me calling, it would go as follows:

    "Hi, I'd like to make reservations for a party of 10 at 6pm. This is an event for an organization that exercises their right to openly carry firearms, so we will be armed for this event. If this is going to be a problem, I'll make arrangements elsewhere."

    Now the ball is in their court. I just told them we're carrying, if they want to deny us, that's their loss.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    32

    Post imported post

    I will leave this decision to minds more thoughtful than mine. If all I get out of my drive is the chance to shake hands with all of the other individuals open-carrying in this state, I will be able to drive home happy. q

  11. #11
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    Juice wrote:
    Again, I don't think we should be asking permission. I'm not askin', I'm tellin'.

    If it were me calling, it would go as follows:

    "Hi, I'd like to make reservations for a party of 10 at 6pm. This is an event for an organization that exercises their right to openly carry firearms, so we will be armed for this event. If this is going to be a problem, I'll make arrangements elsewhere."

    Now the ball is in their court. I just told them we're carrying, if they want to deny us, that's their loss.
    We can put the ball in their court when we show up at the door. Then they have to choose between losing a party of ten paying customers or allowing us to exercise our rights. If we 'warn' them in advance we make it too easy to say "no."
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Port Orchard, WA
    Posts
    18

    Post imported post

    I definitely see your point. I just don't want us to have to find another location on a whim for getting kicked out of somewhere. It's going to be awesome getting everyone together, so I want it to work out OK.

    I don't have any problem showing up without prior notice, just as long as we all realize that we might have to relocate. However, based on my OC experiences here, I doubt we'll have any trouble at all. I only brought it up in the first place as a precaution.

    Although, a 911 call for men with guns (plural) could be an interesting experience.

  13. #13
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    Juice wrote:
    Although, a 911 call for men with guns (plural) could be an interesting experience.
    It happened on the east coast... in a much more conservative place than we'll be in. Could happen.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •