• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wal-Mart fiasco turns out great!

Renegade

imported post

Short story - kimbercarrier, myself, and another OCDO member met up for an evening shoot at Lafayette Gun Club. Afterwards I head home, grab my wife, and head out to purchase a few hundred rounds of four-five.

We show up at the Yorktown Wal-Mart and guess who is walking away from the ammo counter - kimbercarrier. Guess who has just paid for all the .45 ammo the store had left...you are right kimbercarrier. No problem, we will run over to the Newport News store since they have about 1k rounds in stock.

We arrive at 10pm on the nose and the clerk says he is sorry as he points to a sign that clearly states "no ammunition sold after 10:00 pm." Huh? He was a nice guy but said there was some Federal law or something like that. Like alarms would go off and the SWAT team would be called in if he tried to sell.

First manager (female) arrives and backs the Federal law story. Interesting as I have cleaned out all 9mm and .45 ammo at Yorktown...at 1am just prior to a late night shoot. Next manager comes out, nice guy, listened to our side and replied with a slightly different story...this was now "state code" that prevented him selling ammo to us.

My wife simply asked him to produce a copy of the state or federal code that detailed this restriction - boy, did I raise her well. We knew there was nothing of the sort. Ten minutes later the manager called back and cleared us for the sale. Apparently they have a store policy that prohibits the sale of firearms after 10pm. No problem, I was not there to purchase a firearm, and it was only store policy anyway.

All in all, kimbercarrier drives fast when it comes to racing me to the store to horde the last bit of ammo, and I was pleased that Wal-Mart management took the extra few minutes, researched their policy, and pleased their customer.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Yep, the Yorktown store is my primary for Winchester USA 9 mm and 45, and the Newport News store is my back-up.

There's almost never someone at the counter when I need ammo.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I would speculate the no firearms sales after 10pm rule is due to the Firearms transaction center closing at 10pm.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_VFTP.shtm
The VFTP authorizes properly licensed and registered firearms dealers to request criminal history record information (CHRI) checks on prospective purchasers via easy Internet access (VCheck) to the State Police firearms transaction system. VCheck is available between the hours of 8 AM and 10 PM, seven days a week, and including holidays, except December 25. An 800-telephone line is utilized as an alternate method of contacting the FTC should the dealer lose Internet connection or experience problems with his or her computer.

mobeewan

imported post

I bought 500 rounds of .45 ball after 12 AM on the way home from work there on a Saturday morning about 2 years ago. I need it to function test a .45 a friend built for me and I had to be there around 9 AM. At first they did not want to sell it to me. The clerk called the assistant manager back and I told her as I had the clerk that I needed it for test firing a gun I was picking up in the morning. She still seemed hesitant and I suspected she was more worried about what I was up to buying ammo so late at night. I told her if she didn't want to sell it because she was worried I was up to no good I told her I had a 1000 rounds of .45 hollow points at home and several thousand rounds of other calibers if I really wanted to hurt someone. I told her I lived in Hampton and needed to go to Surry first thing in the AM to pick up and test fire the new gun and the Hampton store was out of .45 and I would have to drive all the way back to get it in the morning. She finally let me buy the ammo.

Marco

imported post

If memory serves me correctlyWal-Mart instituted that rule/policy shortly after a shooting in Las Vegas, NV.
Aintoxicated young man purchased a box of 12ga from WM at around midnight then went home and killed his GF then committed suicide.

Itmay or may not be the reason.
If it isn't the reason it probably was a factor in their decision.

MetalChris

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
If memory serves me correctlyWal-Mart instituted that rule/policy shortly after a shooting in Las Vegas, NV.
Aintoxicated young man purchased a box of 12ga from WM at around midnight then went home and killed his GF then committed suicide.

Doesn't walmart only sell birdshot? Why the hell would you off yourself with birdshot of all things? If I was gonna stick my 12 gauge in my mouth, I'd do it right...it'd be loaded w/ 00 buck, or a slug. ;)

eyesopened

imported post

They should change their policy to not sell ammunition to drunk people instead, that to me seems more important than at what hour someone wants to purchase the munitions...

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

A bit off topic, but does anyone know if the Walmart in Short Pump sells ammo? I have been told they don't sell firearms and have been in there and totaly forget now, it has been quite a while.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
Why the hell would you off yourself with birdshot of all things? If I was gonna stick my 12 gauge in my mouth, I'd do it right...it'd be loaded w/ 00 buck, or a slug. ;)
If I were to "off" myself, I would consider using any method other than a firearm. Just one more gun death to report. Standing in front of a fast moving freight train has always intrigued me. :p:what:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
Agent19 wrote:

Doesn't walmart only sell birdshot? Why the hell would you off yourself with birdshot of all things? If I was gonna stick my 12 gauge in my mouth, I'd do it right...it'd be loaded w/ 00 buck, or a slug. ;)
I've bought 00 buck there before.

davychanchan

imported post

anybody know if the walmart on military highway sells pistol ammo? i know they don't sell firearms

davychanchan

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
Yes they do. what caliber are you looking for? Some stuff is actually cheaper at the Armory.
i'm looking for 9mm and .38 special range ammo. i heard the armory had good prices on ammo

67GT390FB

imported post

Skeptic wrote:
A bit off topic, but does anyone know if the Walmart in Short Pump sells ammo? I have been told they don't sell firearms and have been in there and totaly forget now, it has been quite a while.
was in there last night picking up some more. they rearranged their sporting goods section and stopped selling firearms recently but they still have ammo. only place i know that sells buckshot and slugs in 15 shell bulk packs. most walk in stores only have 5 shell boxes.